I love this stuff

Other people doing actual physical activities

Moderator: hawkfan8812

saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

I love this stuff

Post by saltydog »

The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Re: I love this stuff

Post by Biker »

This is why I have never taken WAR seriously
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Biker wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:03 pm This is why I have never taken WAR seriously
It's like TV ratings. It creates something of a measuring stick, but can't possibly tell the whole story.
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
Biker

Post by Biker »

saltydog wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:37 am
Biker wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:03 pm This is why I have never taken WAR seriously
It's like TV ratings. It creates something of a measuring stick, but can't possibly tell the whole story.
I’m 53yo so I don’t subscribe to all the new analytics (although a lot of it is compelling) so I tend to be an eye test guy, especially when it comes to HOF candidates
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Biker wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:42 am
I’m 53yo so I don’t subscribe to all the new analytics (although a lot of it is compelling) so I tend to be an eye test guy, especially when it comes to HOF candidates
The new analytics are mostly window dressing. It's gimmickry so spreadsheet nerds can have something tangible to hang their hats on.

I mean, is there ANY doubt that Pete Alonso hits the shit out of the baseball without having to know his exit velocity?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

saltydog wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:04 pm
The new analytics are mostly window dressing. It's gimmickry so spreadsheet nerds can have something tangible to hang their hats on.

I mean, is there ANY doubt that Pete Alonso hits the shit out of the baseball without having to know his exit velocity?
WAR is a hugely overrated stat.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Biker

Post by Biker »

saltydog wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:04 pm I mean, is there ANY doubt that Pete Alonso hits the shit out of the baseball without having to know his exit velocity?
100%

The one new analytic I do like is spin rate on pitches. That means something
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Biker wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:25 pm
saltydog wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:04 pm I mean, is there ANY doubt that Pete Alonso hits the shit out of the baseball without having to know his exit velocity?
100%

The one new analytic I do like is spin rate on pitches. That means something
It's easier to apply "spin rate" to something like a bicycle tire spinning, or a wheel of a car to get people to understand how it translates to velocity.

The hitting metrics are just mostly garbage.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:29 pm

I don't know if it's overrated. Have you seen the top 50 WAR of all time list. Pretty close to a top 50 of all time list based of merits. Like all stats, there can be anomalies.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Burn1dwn wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:28 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:29 pm

I don't know if it's overrated. Have you seen the top 50 WAR of all time list. Pretty close to a top 50 of all time list based of merits. Like all stats, there can be anomalies.
Damn, pretty much a whos who of hall of Famers

https://www.baseball-reference.com/lead ... reer.shtml
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."