Hey DT!

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Hey DT!

Post by Blast »

I had a Peter Wright 100+ lbs anvil come in the other day. It's going to take a bit of work to restore this thing but the markings put its manufacture around 1860. Thought you'd be interested. I'll attach pictures of the project when I figure out how from my phone
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Re: Hey DT!

Post by CaptQuint »

Blast wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:48 pm I had a Peter Wright 100+ lbs anvil come in the other day. It's going to take a bit of work to restore this thing but the markings put its manufacture around 1860. Thought you'd be interested. I'll attach pictures of the project when I figure out how from my phone
Make an imgur account on your desktop and then download the app. You can upload pics to imgur right from your phone
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CaptQuint wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:51 pm
Blast wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:48 pm I had a Peter Wright 100+ lbs anvil come in the other day. It's going to take a bit of work to restore this thing but the markings put its manufacture around 1860. Thought you'd be interested. I'll attach pictures of the project when I figure out how from my phone
Make an imgur account on your desktop and then download the app. You can upload pics to imgur right from your phone
You just blew WTC's mind! :lol:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:13 pm
Now that the secret is out we are gonna be neck deep in ditzy blonde photos
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

WTC is a troll.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

Smok44 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:20 am
megman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:57 pm
WTC is a troll.
[/IMG] [/]
Can't figure it out?

I'll get this figured out when I really give a shit.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Blast wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:39 am
WTC is a troll.
[/IMG] [/]
Can't figure it out?

Nothing to figure out. Only stirs up shit and refuses to post any pics. Has to be a troll.

Spread the word. :tease:
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

megman wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:42 am
Blast wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:39 am
CaptQuint wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:51 pm Make an imgur account on your desktop and then download the app. You can upload pics to imgur right from your phone
WTC is a troll.
[/IMG] [/]
Can't figure it out?

Nothing to figure out. Only stirs up shit and refuses to post any pics. Has to be a troll.

Spread the word. :tease:
Both of them are.
DiverTexas
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by DiverTexas »

I'd be interested to see what it looks like if you get the picture thing figured out.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

DiverTexas wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:31 am I'd be interested to see what it looks like if you get the picture thing figured out.

^ that's just a wild guess on my part.
DiverTexas

Post by DiverTexas »

That looks about right from the pictures I've seen.
It's amazing how much those are worth these days.
PimpDaddy
Flat and Bony Ass Lover

Post by PimpDaddy »

Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

DiverTexas wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:31 am I'd be interested to see what it looks like if you get the picture thing figured out.
It's not pretty. Looks like it had a break in the weld under the working surfaces and rusted up. It does have Peter Wright "Patented" and cast wrought on the side. All my reading has pointed to using Stoody 2110 hard surfacing rod to build it back up but it'll take a while.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

What's the policy for taking scrap home?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

isn't there a plate welded to the top of the anvil? That is welded to the cast iron?
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

Flumper wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:37 pm isn't there a plate welded to the top of the anvil? That is welded to the cast iron?
That anvil is cast carbon steel and had a top plate that was forge welded to it when it was made. A crack had developed at some point letting moisture under it and causing the issues you see. I had cut away the broken sections and am cleaning it so that I can rebuild the working surface.
I have to get all the cracks out or it could do this again in 100 years or so.
Geist wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:24 pm What's the policy for taking scrap home?
I pay for the metal I bring home, unless it's like that damn bed frame that gave out on me. Then it just goes right back
So yes I can buy that anvil for what the company would get paid for it.
DiverTexas

Post by DiverTexas »

Pretty damn good find.
If you can pick it up for scrap value, you've got yourself a hell of a good buy.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Blast wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:11 pm
Flumper wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:37 pm isn't there a plate welded to the top of the anvil? That is welded to the cast iron?
That anvil is cast carbon steel and had a top plate that was forge welded to it when it was made. A crack had developed at some point letting moisture under it and causing the issues you see. I had cut away the broken sections and am cleaning it so that I can rebuild the working surface.
i'm not sure if i am understanding the pictures or exactly how it is made, but can you not cut off that entire top plate and just replace it with a new one?
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

Flumper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:43 pm
Blast wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:11 pm
i'm not sure if i am understanding the pictures or exactly how it is made, but can you not cut off that entire top plate and just replace it with a new one?
The way that it was done was the entire top plate was forge welded to the anvil itself which in this cast is cast carbon steel, I checked it with an innovex spectral analyzer. I could cut it off but I don't have access to a hammer and forge set up big enough to do that.
If I were to simply edge weld on a new plate I would lose the return, bounce back of the hammer, that I get when it's a solid piece and the wells would break in short order from repeated impacts.
The best way to bring this back to life is by building it back up with hard surfacing welding rod.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Blast wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:58 pm The way that it was done was the entire top plate was forge welded to the anvil itself which in this cast is cast carbon steel, I checked it with an innovex spectral analyzer. I could cut it off but I don't have access to a hammer and forge set up big enough to do that.
If I were to simply edge weld on a new plate I would lose the return, bounce back of the hammer, that I get when it's a solid piece and the wells would break in short order from repeated impacts.
The best way to bring this back to life is by building it back up with hard surfacing welding rod.
holy shit, that's going to be a lot of rods. but it will damn sure be bullet proof after that. You said you found the stamp for Peter Wright. Did it have any numbers below the name? Three sets of number(s) spaced apart?

have you sand blasted it and scrubbed off all the rust on the body?
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

Flumper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:22 pm
Blast wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:58 pm The way that it was done was the entire top plate was forge welded to the anvil itself which in this cast is cast carbon steel, I checked it with an innovex spectral analyzer. I could cut it off but I don't have access to a hammer and forge set up big enough to do that.
holy shit, that's going to be a lot of rods. but it will damn sure be bullet proof after that. You said you found the stamp for Peter Wright. Did it have any numbers below the name? Three sets of number(s) spaced apart?

There are numbers, I need to finish cleaning it to read them.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Blast wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:01 pm

the first number you multiply by 110. if its a 1, then its 110 lbs.
the second number you multiply by 11. if its a 0, then its 0 lbs.
the third number you multiply by 1. if its a 5, then its 5 lbs.

Then you add the three totals. 110 + 0 + 5 = 115 lb anvil.
peterosehaircut

Post by peterosehaircut »

Flumper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 pm

Why wouldn't you just stamp a 115 on there?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

peterosehaircut wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:56 pm
Flumper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 pm

Why wouldn't you just stamp a 115 on there?

fuck if i know. it must be a british thing.