Marines Took Out Iranian Drone for the Cost of a Tank of Gas

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Marines Took Out Iranian Drone for the Cost of a Tank of Gas

Post by CaptQuint »

A MADIS anti-drone system is perched on the bow of USS Boxer (LHD-4) during a Strait of Hormuz transit on July 18, 2019. US Marine Corps Photo

Instead of a using an almost-million-dollar Navy missile, Marines splashed a hostile Iranian drone on Thursday for about the cost of a couple of gallons of gas.

During a transit through the Strait of Hormuz into the Persian Gulf on Thursday, Marines – operating a new electronic warfare system on the deck of USS Boxer (LHD-4) – downed a hostile unmanned aerial vehicle 1,000 yards from the amphibious warship.

The new Marine Air Defense Integrated System (MADIS) used is a combination of components that includes electronic jammers, radars and gun systems to take out UAVs. The version of the system aboard Boxer was mounted on an MRZR that was perched on the bow of the ship and was powered by a gasoline electrical generator, according to photos released from the service. The Marine Corps did not immediately respond to a request for additional information on the system.

The encounter is the first known kill by a new generation of electronic warfare and directed energy weapons the U.S. has developed over the last decade to handle the daunting problem of how to counter voluminous, low-end threats without resorting wasting high-dollar missiles, naval analyst and retired Navy officer Thomas Callender told USNI News on Friday.

In particular, both the Navy and Marines have been concerned about swarms of cheap but lethal unmanned vehicles that could overwhelm a ship or ground unit’s defenses.

It’s a tricky problem. Defenses on U.S. warships are optimized for the high-end threats, and firing expensive missiles to intercept a drone that’s a fraction of that cost puts Americans at a cost disadvantage.

For example, Boxer fields short-range RIM-7 Sea Sparrow missiles that cost about $170,000 each and the RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile that costs shy of a million dollars apiece. Either, or a combination of both, would have likely been used to down the Iranian drone on Thursday if the Marine’s MADIS wasn’t sitting on Boxer‘s deck, USNI News understands.

The Navy has tested less expensive options at sea to shoot down drones, trying its 5-inch deck guns as well as the Phalanx Close-in Weapons Systems with limited success.

“They found that the 5-inch gun took multiple shots to try and hit it because it’s not designed for something slow and small,” Callender said. “Even with the CIWS, it took a lot of shots to take that out.”

Those types engagement still costs thousands of dollars in rounds, on a ship at sea with a limited supply of ammunition.

With systems like MADIS, “now you’re, back on the right side of that costs exchange ratio,” Callender said, “instead of spending hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars on a missile or a higher-end weapon against something that’s very low-end, low-cost.”

In 2014, the Navy deployed a 30-kilowatt laser aboard a ship in the Persian Gulf as an early test of a directed energy weapon at sea after it proved it could disable small boats and UAVs. Then-Office of Naval Research chief Rear Adm. Matthew Klunder highlighted the cost of firing the laser – about a dollar a shot.

The Navy is moving to install its first 60-kilowatt Lockheed Martin-built High Energy Laser and Integrated Optical-dazzler with Surveillance (HELIOS) directed energy weapon on a destroyer in 2021. The Navy is also working on additional electronic warfare capabilities on its surface ships that could find non-kinetic ways to disable enemy missiles and UAVs. In January, Northrop Grumman won a contract to develop the Surface Electronic Warfare Improvement Program (SEWIP) Block III electronic attack capability for U.S. warships.

In addition to the lower cost of operating the systems and an ammunition supply only limited by the energy a vehicle or ship can generate, Callender said there were other benefits to the new systems.

Using systems like MADIS is “less escalatory than if you shot a missile,” he said.
“And in some ways, depending on the scenario, you could have deniability. ‘Oh, it crashed. We don’t know why it crashed.’”

https://news.usni.org/2019/07/19/marine ... ank-of-gas
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
WestTexasCrude

Re: Marines Took Out Iranian Drone for the Cost of a Tank of Gas

Post by WestTexasCrude »

I love how the Iranian leadership spews anti-American rhetoric about killing US navy ships while their sailors cower in coves awed by the size of the US Navy vessels cruising just offshore unopposed.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Not very clear how it took it down in that article.

Further info:
The system uses a radar and cameras to scan the sky to detect drones and distinguish between friendly and hostile systems. Once it locates a threat, it uses radio frequencies to jam the drone
Last edited by FSchmertz on Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

It's a UAE tanker. I'm not even sure the British have any oil tankers left in the Persian Gulf much less anywhere else. They've gotten their oil mainly from the nearby and safe North Sea for the last 50 years.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:52 pm
It's a UAE tanker. I'm not even sure the British have any oil tankers left in the Persian Gulf much less anywhere else. They've gotten their oil mainly from the nearby and safe North Sea for the last 50 years.
Will you ever learn to shut your retard mouth?

STENA IMPERO current position is 25.29515 N / 56.66235 E on Jul 19, 2019 08:06 UTC. Vessel STENA IMPERO (IMO: 9797400, MMSI: 232010294) is a Chemical/Oil Products Tanker built in 2018 and currently sailing under the flag of United Kingdom. Current destination of STENA IMPERO is JUBAIL, KSA and the estimated time of arrival (ETA) is Jul 21, 10:00.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/ST ... -232010294

https://www.nmg-stena.com/news/company- ... na-impero/
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

CaptQuint wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:55 pm

STENA IMPERO current position is 25.29515 N / 56.66235 E on Jul 19, 2019 08:06 UTC. Vessel STENA IMPERO (IMO: 9797400, MMSI: 232010294) is a Chemical/Oil Products Tanker built in 2018 and currently sailing under the flag of United Kingdom. Current destination of STENA IMPERO is JUBAIL, KSA and the estimated time of arrival (ETA) is Jul 21, 10:00.

God Damn, CQ's retardation gets worse by the week. It's a UAE tanker leased by Britain to import chemicals from a UAE refinery. It's not owned by Britain, ya dumb fuck. Good fucking lord.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:09 pm

God Damn, CQ's retardation gets worse by the week. It's a UAE tanker leased by Britain to import chemicals from a UAE refinery. It's not owned by Britain, ya dumb fuck. Good fucking lord.
It's flying The Bloody Union Jack you fucking retard

The flag state of a merchant vessel is the jurisdiction under whose laws the vessel is registered or licensed, and is deemed the nationality of the vessel. A merchant vessel must be registered and can only be registered in one jurisdiction, but may change the register in which it is registered. The flag state has the authority and responsibility to enforce regulations over vessels registered under its flag, including those relating to inspection, certification, and issuance of safety and pollution prevention documents. As a ship operates under the laws of its flag state, these laws are applicable if the ship is involved in an admiralty case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_state
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Claims to be a naval expert. Has no idea how the flagging of commercial ships work. :lol: :lol:
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

FUCKING RETARD

Further to our earlier statement (1840BST), Stena Bulk and Northern Marine Management can confirm that Swedish-owned vessel Stena Impero (built 2018, 49,683 DWT) is no longer under the control of the crew and remains uncontactable.

CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Claims to be a naval expert. Has no idea how the flagging of commercial ships work. :lol: :lol:
I never claimed to be a expert in anything, but I'd be seriously impressed if you could tie your own boots
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

It's UAE owned tanker leased by a British firm for one shipment, you fucking retarded autism POS. Good lord, the ignorance astounds even after all these years.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 pm It's UAE owned tanker leased by a British firm for one shipment, you fucking retarded autism POS. Good lord, the ignorance astounds even after all these years.
Back your claim Texas faggot
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

CaptQuint wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 pm It's UAE owned tanker leased by a British firm for one shipment, you fucking retarded autism POS. Good lord, the ignorance astounds even after all these years.
I'm sorry. I make it a practice to shun retard idiots like your self. Not good on the resume.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 pm
I'm sorry. I make it a practice to shun retard idiots like your self. Not good on the resume.
So you got nothing. You are a pathetic, useless individual and you are literally wasting our oxygen by being here on Earth. If you are shunning me then stay out of my threads with your bullshit.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

CaptQuint wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:02 am
So you got nothing. You are a pathetic, useless individual and you are literally wasting our oxygen by being here on Earth. If you are shunning me then stay out of my threads with your bullshit.
You may want to get that water well on your property checked out. It seems to be producing early symptoms of Alzheimer's along with the attended "Delusions of Grandeur".
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

C'mon shiteyes, Prove The United Arab Emirates own that tanker
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Notice the autism? Never focused on the main subject which is why we don't care what CQ posts today or forever.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Imbecile
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

We need to replace this scrambler with a weapon that makes a sort of a swishhhh BANG sound, with lots of fire and smoke. Somebody put out an RFP.
kwebber
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by kwebber »

Dude, you know he never admits when he fucks up, he either continues his moronic bullshit, irregardless of the topic, or he carries on like he never said anything fucking stupid. You know that. We all know that.
Currently AFK.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

The article you quoted literally describes a UK owned tanker operating in the Persian Gulf.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

kwebber wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 am
Dude, you know he never admits when he fucks up, he either continues his moronic bullshit, irregardless of the topic, or he carries on like he never said anything fucking stupid. You know that. We all know that.
I'm thinking you are not getting my overall strategy. CQ wishing death on all that defy him is so old school. I do it the roundabout way. Get his blood boiling. Heart rate elevated, arteries hardening daily. Kill him with time. BTW, he was right. When he posted the tankers seized Friday night (saw it Sat Morning), I thought he was talking about the UAE tanker seized mid-week. I was wrong. But don't tell him. I need that blood pressure max all the time.
VisionaryEric
Wants a mod to change his custom title to something else.

Post by VisionaryEric »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:21 pm
kwebber wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 am
I'm thinking you are not getting my overall strategy. CQ wishing death on all that defy him is so old school. I do it the roundabout way. Get his blood boiling. Heart rate elevated, arteries hardening daily. Kill him with time. BTW, he was right. When he posted the tankers seized Friday night (saw it Sat Morning), I thought he was talking about the UAE tanker seized mid-week. I was wrong. But don't tell him. I need that blood pressure max all the time.
There's your problem.

And the only strategy you have is to back-pedal and pretend you were just trolling, trying to obscure the fact that you're a complete idiot.
It's not working, dude.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

See you in a few weeks.