So, can I ask a serious question about 1st World problems

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

WestTexasCrude

So, can I ask a serious question about 1st World problems

Post by WestTexasCrude »

So, you live in the US/Canada. At the apex of human civilization. Unlimited job opportunities, tech out the ass, multiple vehicles, TV's in every room, Clean water, Travel anywhere you desire, raise your kids decently, hell the list is almost endless. So, here's my question. Why does it seem everybody is always angry, frustrated, depressed, making life harder than it needs to be? Like getting to the apex causes more problems. Please discuss.
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Re: So, can I ask a serious question about 1st World problems

Post by necronomous »

Because it has to be perfect or it doesn't count.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Oh goody goody! Here comes another history lesson from our resident Wikipedia history professor.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

necronomous wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:36 pm Because it has to be perfect or it doesn't count.
It's just BS. Live beyond 98% of humanity , your BMW gets cut off in traffic, and you go rage? Please continue the discussion.
kwebber
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by kwebber »

You do know there are people oot there who are happy with how their lives are, right?
Currently AFK.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Early evidence points to the breakdown of marriage values where one inflicts pain on the other for Lolz.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

kwebber wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:51 pm You do know there are people oot there who are happy with how their lives are, right?
I'm perfectly happy with my life, daily , work. My point is there seems so much angst out there. Considering the luxury everybody enjoys, It's a major embarrassment.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Fuck your mama.
wut?
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Wut wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 amFuck your mama.
There it is, It's not video games or Hollywood violence but social media. :lol: :lol:
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

I think a major part of the problem was sung by Phil Collins back in the 80's. "Too many people causing too many problems". Population in WW2- 90 million. Today- 300 Million We are full up.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Those same advantages allow for more free time and for rapid dispersal of information. An educational system that teaches to the lowest common denominator instead of requiring the best of students. Free time spent on social media where the information isn't subjected to critical thinking and is accepted as truth.
JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by JCW »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:00 am
kwebber wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:51 pm You do know there are people oot there who are happy with how their lives are, right?
I'm perfectly happy with my life, daily , work. My point is there seems so much angst out there. Considering the luxury everybody enjoys, It's a major embarrassment.
If you were actually happy you wouldnt drown yourself in booze every night.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Off the top of my head:
Some people are not happy unless theyre unhappy
A generation(s) that was handed everything unable to cope with real world stuff
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
kwebber

Post by kwebber »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:09 am
Wut wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 amFuck your mama.
There it is, It's not video games or Hollywood violence but social media. :lol: :lol:
Is this thread because you heard fox news say that all the shootings in your country are caused by video games, Hollywood violence, social media. breakdown of the family, and lack of a belief in god?
Currently AFK.
kwebber

Post by kwebber »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:39 am Off the top of my head:
Some people are not happy unless theyre unhappy
A generation(s) that was handed everything unable to cope with real world stuff
I got news for you champ, it ain't just millenials who are sometimes unhappy with how their lives are going. Old people like you get unhappy too.
Currently AFK.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

We're happy up here.

It's a shame you are so depressed. Sorry aboot your problems......
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
JackRabbit_Slim
Have Sister, Will Bang

Post by JackRabbit_Slim »

We aren't programmed to be content. It's not in our dna. We're programmed to struggle, to fight, to risk and occasionally succeed but more frequently fail. We're fish out of water and the train left the rails years ago. It's organized chaos on a global scale. Awareness breeds depression or denial, ignorance occasionally breeds bliss.

Fuck your mama
"you have a fine boy there..." CaptGotti
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

Baring mental illness, happiness is a choice. It's how you look at life and recognizing what actually makes you happy versus providing a short term happiness high. The old quote that nobody said on their death bed they wished they'd worked more - I doubt anyone said I wished I'd bought a more expensive grill 30 years ago.
JCW

Post by JCW »

beagleboy wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:41 pm Baring mental illness, happiness is a choice. It's how you look at life and recognizing what actually makes you happy versus providing a short term happiness high. The old quote that nobody said on their death bed they wished they'd worked more - I doubt anyone said I wished I'd bought a more expensive grill 30 years ago.
A big key to this is gratitude, I think.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

JCW wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:29 pm

There are different types of happiness. Eudaimonic happiness is what you are talking about and the feeling of being blessed. A lot of people pursue hedonistic happiness but it only works for very short periods.

There are free online classes through major universities that go into this sort of thing. Some of the happiest people on earth who also live the longest are nuns and monks. Hedonistic happiness is easier to attain but basically impossible to sustain.
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:24 pm So, you live in the US/Canada. At the apex of human civilization. Unlimited job opportunities, tech out the ass, multiple vehicles, TV's in every room, Clean water, Travel anywhere you desire, raise your kids decently, hell the list is almost endless. So, here's my question. Why does it seem everybody is always angry, frustrated, depressed, making life harder than it needs to be? Like getting to the apex causes more problems. Please discuss.
Because you have time to worry. You have access to information about bad things going on, amplified by the media, and you can also see people living better than you. Everything on TV is about what you don't have, what you should want.
VinceBordenIII

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Yeah: retards.
VinceBordenIII

Post by VinceBordenIII »

beagleboy wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:41 pm Baring mental illness, happiness is a choice. It's how you look at life and recognizing what actually makes you happy versus providing a short term happiness high. The old quote that nobody said on their death bed they wished they'd worked more - I doubt anyone said I wished I'd bought a more expensive grill 30 years ago.
I'd settle for contentment. Maybe losing the ego? No need to see oneself though others' eyes. For real, though, not just saying it.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

I have a 3 car car garage
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
JCW

Post by JCW »

beagleboy wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:49 pm

There are different types of happiness. Eudaimonic happiness is what you are talking about and the feeling of being blessed. A lot of people pursue hedonistic happiness but it only works for very short periods.

There are free online classes through major universities that go into this sort of thing. Some of the happiest people on earth who also live the longest are nuns and monks. Hedonistic happiness is easier to attain but basically impossible to sustain.
One part that makes gratitude hard to achieve sometimes is perspective and lack of insight. If you don't know how bad things can be, you dont ever truly appreciate that they're not that way for you. Just my observation as I age and struggle with instilling gratitude in my child's cushy life.