What are you reading, UJR?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Re: What are you reading, UJR?

Post by QillerDaemon »

Nothing fun, I assure you... :cry:
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
PimpDaddy
Flat and Bony Ass Lover

Post by PimpDaddy »

Currently reading Stewart Woods / Dishonorable Intentions. 3/4 through it and this is the worst one of his Stone Barrington novels I have read. I suppose after so many, you run out of ideas, but there are another dozen more after this one. I may have to shelve this series for a while.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

I'm reading a NF book called "Big Roads" by author Earl Swift. History in US not about the invention of the auto until today, but the roads built to accommodate what started as a few thousand vehicles surging to a hundred million. Dirt horse trails, 1st transcontinental roads (Lincoln, Dixie) in the 1910's, buildup of the US Highway system from the 1920's until today, Interstate system built from the late 50's onward. Not an outstanding book, but considering the subject matter, pretty damn interesting. I'm a sucker for histories on obscure things like this. Everybody drives the highways/ Interstates everyday without a thought on how they were created.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:44 pm Oh goody goody! Here comes another history lesson from our resident Wikipedia history professor.
WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 pm I'm reading a NF book called "Big Roads" by author Earl Swift. History in US not about the invention of the auto until today, but the roads built to accommodate what started as a few thousand vehicles surging to a hundred million. Dirt horse trails, 1st transcontinental roads (Lincoln, Dixie) in the 1910's, buildup of the US Highway system from the 1920's until today, Interstate system built from the late 50's onward. Not an outstanding book, but considering the subject matter, pretty damn interesting. I'm a sucker for histories on obscure things like this. Everybody drives the highways/ Interstates everyday without a thought on how they were created.
Called it !!!!! :P :P :P :P
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:17 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:44 pm Oh goody goody! Here comes another history lesson from our resident Wikipedia history professor.
WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 pm I'm reading a NF book called "Big Roads" by author Earl Swift. History in US not about the invention of the auto until today, but the roads built to accommodate what started as a few thousand vehicles surging to a hundred million. Dirt horse trails, 1st transcontinental roads (Lincoln, Dixie) in the 1910's, buildup of the US Highway system from the 1920's until today, Interstate system built from the late 50's onward. Not an outstanding book, but considering the subject matter, pretty damn interesting. I'm a sucker for histories on obscure things like this. Everybody drives the highways/ Interstates everyday without a thought on how they were created.
Dude, what did you expect. I gave up on almost all fiction novels 20 years ago when you could see with your own eyes that instead of letting an author spend the time fleshing out a story, they were given timelines to churn the products. Hell I gave it a go almost 9 years ago with Stephen Kings 11-23-63. Sure enough, first 80% was great and the remaining 20% was a rush to the exits trying to beat the deadline. Screw that shit. History has no limits.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:29 pm History has no limits.
I'm gonna have to write that one down. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:29 pm
Dude, what did you expect. I gave up on almost all fiction novels 20 years ago when you could see with your own eyes that instead of letting an author spend the time fleshing out a story, they were given timelines to churn the products. Hell I gave it a go almost 9 years ago with Stephen Kings 11-23-63. Sure enough, first 80% was great and the remaining 20% was a rush to the exits trying to beat the deadline. Screw that shit. History has no limits.
Except, y'know, the present.
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

I loved 11-22-63, especially the ending.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Geist wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:45 pm
Which is not history, Try to stay with me.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 pm
History is limited by history, you silly twatwaffle. :lol:
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

Not yet, because history has limits. Like the present.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Geist wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:24 pm
Because you can't write history until you are past the present. I have to admit arguing with Geist is a breath of fresh air. It reeks of normalcy lacking for a long time.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 pm Because you can't write history until you are past the present.
So history has limits. You can't change it. Try to stay with us.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:17 pm Called it !!!!! :P :P :P :P
Because you can't write history until you are past the present. I have to admit arguing with Geist is a breath of fresh air. It reeks of normalcy lacking for a long time.
Let's just put this quibble behind us and look to the future. Which is also another limit of history.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

So, share with me what you consider the best books you've ever read. Only 2 come to mind for me. (actual books- not kindle). In both cases I turned the last page and actually said "That may be the best book I've ever read". Lord of the Rings is one. And a Western that won the Pulitzer prize called "Lonesome Dove". Both blew me away.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 pm So, share with me what you consider the best books you've ever read. Only 2 come to mind for me. (actual books- not kindle).
Do they change the words if it's on Kindle?
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Geist wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:39 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:29 pm Dude, what did you expect. I gave up on almost all fiction novels 20 years ago when you could see with your own eyes that instead of letting an author spend the time fleshing out a story, they were given timelines to churn the products. Hell I gave it a go almost 9 years ago with Stephen Kings 11-23-63. Sure enough, first 80% was great and the remaining 20% was a rush to the exits trying to beat the deadline. Screw that shit. History has no limits.
Let's just put this quibble behind us and look to the future. Which is also another limit of history.
:lol: Like I said another Normalcy missing
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Didn't answer the question, did he?
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:52 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 pm So, share with me what you consider the best books you've ever read. Only 2 come to mind for me. (actual books- not kindle).
Kindle is great for convenience, ease of use, etc. Great for fiction type novels but has major drawbacks on the kind of books I read- History. Maps are almost unreadable. Photos compressed to inches, Bookmark slogans almost impossible to access, etc.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:02 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:52 pm
Kindle is great for convenience, ease of use, etc. Great for fiction type novels but has major drawbacks on the kind of books I read- History. Maps are almost unreadable. Photos compressed to inches, Bookmark slogans almost impossible to access, etc.
You're welcome.

WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

And may I suggest for your future reading pleasure my favorite author. The kind of author allowed by his publisher time to flesh out his novel with no time constraints. Only published books years apart. His name is Mark Helprin. Finally saw one of his books "Winter's Tale" get butchered by Hollywood years ago (Will Smith, Russell Crowe , Colin Farrell). Check out "A Soldier of the Great War". Probably the best book I've ever read. Just stunning.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 pm So, share with me what you consider the best books you've ever read. Only 2 come to mind for me. (actual books- not kindle). In both cases I turned the last page and actually said "That may be the best book I've ever read". Lord of the Rings is one. And a Western that won the Pulitzer prize called "Lonesome Dove". Both blew me away.
WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:24 pm And may I suggest for your future reading pleasure my favorite author. The kind of author allowed by his publisher time to flesh out his novel with no time constraints. Only published books years apart. His name is Mark Helprin. Finally saw one of his books "Winter's Tale" get butchered by Hollywood years ago (Will Smith, Russell Crowe , Colin Farrell). Check out "A Soldier of the Great War". Probably the best book I've ever read. Just stunning.
Do you even remember your own posts?
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

And I'm still dumbfounded that Hollywood, after making many movies based on cormac McCarthy books (The Road, All the Pretty Horses, No Country for Old Men) won't commit to his best book by far- "Blood Meridian".
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Attempted film adaptations
There have been a number of attempts to create a motion picture adaptation of Blood Meridian. However, all have failed during the development or pre-production stages. A common perception is that the story is "unfilmable", due to its unrelenting violence and dark tone. In an interview with Cormac McCarthy by The Wall Street Journal in 2009, McCarthy denied this notion, with his perspective being that it would be "very difficult to do and would require someone with a bountiful imagination and a lot of balls. But the payoff could be extraordinary."[33]

Screenwriter Steve Tesich first adapted Blood Meridian into a screenplay in 1995. In the late 1990s, Tommy Lee Jones acquired the film adaptation rights to the story and subsequently rewrote Tesich's screenplay, with the idea of directing and playing a role in it.[34] Due to film studios avoiding the project's overall violence, production could not move forward. [35]

Following the end of production for Kingdom of Heaven in 2004, screenwriter William Monahan and director Ridley Scott entered discussions with producer Scott Rudin for adapting Blood Meridian with Paramount Pictures financing.[36] In an interview with Eclipse Magazine published in June 2008, Scott confirmed that the screenplay had been written, but that the extensive violence was proving to be a challenge for film standards.[37] This later led to Scott and Monhan leaving the project, resulting in another abandoned adaptation.[38]

By early 2011, James Franco was thinking of adapting Blood Meridian, along with a number of other William Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy novels.[39] After being persuaded by Andrew Dominik to adapt the novel, Franco shot twenty-five minutes of test footage, starring Scott Glenn, Mark Pellegrino, Luke Perry and Dave Franco. For undisclosed reasons, Rudin denied further production of the film.[35] On May 5, 2016, Variety revealed that Franco was negotiating with Rudin to write and direct an adaptation to be brought to the Marché du Film, with Russell Crowe, Tye Sheridan and Vincent D'Onofrio starring. However, later that day, it was reported that the project dissolved, due to issues concerning the film rights.[40]

Lynne Ramsay has expressed an interest in adapting the novel.