Can we talk hummingbirds

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

WestTexasCrude

Re: Can we talk hummingbirds

Post by WestTexasCrude »

megman wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:42 am
WestTexasCrude wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:39 am I guess kwebber will be along shortly bitching/moaning about me not being "likable". It seems the Cannucks egos are fragile.
Not at all. I suggest we meet at Toronto airport, unless you are just all talk.....
This has a surreal feel to it. Who was the UJ dude years ago that challenged DT (Animal offered his back yard in Dallas for the experiment) for DT's claim on witching for water. :lol: :lol:
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Wut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:12 pm
Blast wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:31 pm I'm more curious about the Gregorian Chant Bird, or the Operich. They are both very rare but I've heard the operich had quite a range.
The Shoebill is pretty cool.

Damn, that looks like it belongs in Jurrasic Park.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

Burn1dwn wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:00 pm
Blast wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:31 pm I'm more curious about the Gregorian Chant Bird, or the Operich. They are both very rare but I've heard the operich had quite a range.

Damn, that looks like it belongs in Jurassic Park.
That's a big hummingbird.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Anyway, watching several hummingbirds fight over a feeder or feeders, the territorial aspect of their behavior is apparent. But really watching closely, it seems to me that it's almost always one Alpha that's protecting his turf (feeder) and the others seemed to be "playing". Chasing each around until they get thirsty, calling a truce, feeding at the same time and then back to the chase. Fascinating creatures. Only bird species that can fly backwards.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:35 pm Anyway, watching several hummingbirds fight over a feeder or feeders, the territorial aspect of their behavior is apparent. But really watching closely, it seems to me that it's almost always one Alpha that's protecting his turf (feeder) and the others seemed to be "playing". Chasing each around until they get thirsty, calling a truce, feeding at the same time and then back to the chase. Fascinating creatures. Only bird species that can fly backwards.
have you ever seen a painted bunting? I got some pictures of a couple (male and female) at a feeder last spring.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Flumper wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:31 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:35 pm Anyway, watching several hummingbirds fight over a feeder or feeders, the territorial aspect of their behavior is apparent. But really watching closely, it seems to me that it's almost always one Alpha that's protecting his turf (feeder) and the others seemed to be "playing". Chasing each around until they get thirsty, calling a truce, feeding at the same time and then back to the chase. Fascinating creatures. Only bird species that can fly backwards.
have you ever seen a painted bunting? I got some pictures of a couple (male and female) at a feeder last spring.
Please post them. Have 5 the last few days and the color differences and patterns are amazing.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Flumper wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:31 pm
bunt-2.jpg
wut?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CaptQuint wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:25 pm Image
We get lots of those up at our place at the lake. Those little fuckers start banging their heads at 5:00 in the morning. :evil:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

:lol: :lol: Man, I have to admit, that's the most beautiful woodpecker I've ever seen. Expect colors from hummingbirds, not so much woodpeckers. Thanks for the photo.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 pm
We get lots of those up at our place at the lake. Those little fuckers start banging their heads at 5:00 in the morning. :evil:
Buddy's house is full of holes from those fuckers.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Birds are amazing, from hummingbirds to woodpeckers pounding their brains at 20G, owls night vision to albatrosses spending 99% of it's life aloft. I think this branch of the life tree survived pretty damn well the asteroid strike 65 Million years ago.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 pm Please post them. Have 5 the last few days and the color differences and patterns are amazing.
i thought the parks & wildlife guy was nuts when he told me to put out nesting boxes for them. they are amazing birds and i think he said they were endangered. If you see them on a regular basis, consider yourself lucky. there are parts of texas where people pay big $$ to see them in the wild.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Flumper wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:16 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 pm Please post them. Have 5 the last few days and the color differences and patterns are amazing.
i thought the parks & wildlife guy was nuts when he told me to put out nesting boxes for them. they are amazing birds and i think he said they were endangered. If you see them on a regular basis, consider yourself lucky. there are parts of texas where people pay big $$ to see them in the wild.
There is some State park in E Texas that puts up a hundred hummingbird feeders for the visitors to watch. Hundreds of hummingbirds and yeah,they fight over all 100. :lol:
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

I see them in NJ but only when someone sets up a hummingbird feeder. My father had one hanging right in front of a picture window and they were awesome to watch. Another beautiful bird to watch in NJ is a goldfinch. My father had a special feeder for them too, and it really worked well.

WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Really, if you doubt that birds are at the apex of evolutionary specialty , picture in your mind the most inhospitable place on Earth- more akin to another planet like Mars. Antarctica- lifeless except for those Emperor penguins and others not only surviving but flourishing in the millions. WTH?
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

I heard Boots and The Ginger fucked an Operich.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
DandyDon
Redneck Commie

Post by DandyDon »

https://www.boredpanda.com/large-bird-harpy-eagle/
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

DandyDon wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:16 pm

That thing looks like an owl-gargoyle.
wut?
DandyDon
Redneck Commie

Post by DandyDon »

Wut wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:47 pm
DandyDon wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:16 pm

That thing looks like an owl-gargoyle.
I could see this being the basis of alien landing reports. That fucking look stares through ya, and says "I will eat you".
Sandflea720
Forum Regular

Post by Sandflea720 »

WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Sandflea720 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:09 am
:lol: Yeah that's them. Put out 100 feeders in a state park, all 300 will fight over everyone of them. Even though the territorial instinct is obvious, I've observed over the years a distinct "playing" among them. It's pretty funny to watch.