Anyone good with creating props? Creative ideas needed.

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Anyone good with creating props? Creative ideas needed.

Post by JCW »

The long story short is my kid hates dressing up but for once hes actually excited about Halloween. Hes going as his idol, Freddie Mercury from Queen.

So I've got the actual costume part done, but he has an idea in his brain of some oversized microphone prop he can carry that will double as a candy receptacle. My first thought was like a (new) garbage can with a dome flap lid thing, which we can paint up. But then how does he carry it? Freddie did the half mic stand thing but I feel like any amount of candy in this can is gonna be kind of burdensome to carry around on a stick and get spilled. We usually end up with a pillowcase worth of candy, I'm ok with emptying it to another bag as it accumulates. So is there some design idea I'm missing? I'm ok with tools, dont have tons but I do have the basics. I just want to make it special for him because this is the first year he actually cares about Halloween.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Anyone good with creating props? Creative ideas needed.

Post by Animal »

is this also going to be his coming out party?
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

JCW wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:28 pm The long story short is my kid hates dressing up but for once hes actually excited about Halloween. Hes going as his idol, Freddie Mercury from Queen.

So I've got the actual costume part done, but he has an idea in his brain of some oversized microphone prop he can carry that will double as a candy receptacle. My first thought was like a (new) garbage can with a dome flap lid thing, which we can paint up. But then how does he carry it? Freddie did the half mic stand thing but I feel like any amount of candy in this can is gonna be kind of burdensome to carry around on a stick and get spilled. We usually end up with a pillowcase worth of candy, I'm ok with emptying it to another bag as it accumulates. So is there some design idea I'm missing? I'm ok with tools, dont have tons but I do have the basics. I just want to make it special for him because this is the first year he actually cares about Halloween.
Glad to see you back posting.
PimpDaddy
Flat and Bony Ass Lover

Post by PimpDaddy »

C'mon, too easy! Freddie's microphone.

JCW

Post by JCW »

PimpDaddy wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:33 pm C'mon, too easy! Freddie's microphone.

Thanks for offering to let me borrow yours but I wouldnt want you to be out of action that long.

Also, fuck you, it's for a kid.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Okay, serious reply.

Get some pvc pipe. Large enough that the candy can go through it. You will need a long piece that is the "mic stand" At the base of it will be the bag the candy falls into. At the top of it will be a "T" fitting. In that T fitting you put another pvc pipe to paint up as the microphone. Only one end is open so that the candy can be dumped into it.
JCW

Post by JCW »

Flumper wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 pm is this also going to be his coming out party?
Coming out as fucking fabulous!
JCW

Post by JCW »

Flumper wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:35 pm Okay, serious reply.

Get some pvc pipe. Large enough that the candy can go through it. You will need a long piece that is the "mic stand" At the base of it will be the bag the candy falls into. At the top of it will be a "T" fitting. In that T fitting you put another pvc pipe to paint up as the microphone. Only one end is open so that the candy can be dumped into it.
This is actually really smart. PVC would be sturdy enough to carry some weight too, my biggest problem was what to use that wouldnt bend with weight on one end. He gets a lot of bags of chips, those wouldnt fit but any candy shouldn't need a very big opening. Thanks!!
PimpDaddy
Flat and Bony Ass Lover

Post by PimpDaddy »

JCW wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:34 pm
PimpDaddy wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:33 pm C'mon, too easy! Freddie's microphone.

Thanks for offering to let me borrow yours but I wouldnt want you to be out of action that long.

Aww, don't be all uppity. Since you admitted you don't have time to date, you know you have one.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

JCW wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:38 pm
Flumper wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:35 pm Okay, serious reply.

This is actually really smart. PVC would be sturdy enough to carry some weight too, my biggest problem was what to use that wouldnt bend with weight on one end. He gets a lot of bags of chips, those wouldnt fit but any candy shouldn't need a very big opening. Thanks!!
as you know, there are tons of different pvc fittings. some that even bell out or go from 2" to 4", etc. I would think standing in the PVC aisle at Home Depot, you can find exactly what you need to make it work. You can also look in the sewer pipe fittings for other shapes.
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

JCW wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:34 pm

Oh. Sorry.
dildo.jpg
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

JCW wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:38 pm This is actually really smart. PVC would be sturdy enough to carry some weight too, my biggest problem was what to use that wouldnt bend with weight on one end. He gets a lot of bags of chips, those wouldnt fit but any candy shouldn't need a very big opening. Thanks!!
Howie should have started a thread "Anyone good with creating a way to make your legs fit under a desk with fixed drawer sizes?"
JCW

Post by JCW »

Flumper wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 pm
as you know, there are tons of different pvc fittings. some that even bell out or go from 2" to 4", etc. I would think standing in the PVC aisle at Home Depot, you can find exactly what you need to make it work. You can also look in the sewer pipe fittings for other shapes.
Yes i think we can find some way to make this work, I'll see what my options are at Home Depot. Thanks for the idea, that's why I asked here!
JCW

Post by JCW »

PimpDaddy wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:38 pmAww, don't be all uppity. Since you admitted you don't have time to date, you know you have one.
Im not being uppity, I have several. This was specifically about a child though. He knows Freddie was gay and died of AIDS but that's the extent of the sexual element. Hes still his hero. For Freddie's birthday on Sept 5 we had a little celebration.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

JCW wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:28 pm The long story short is my kid hates dressing up but for once hes actually excited about Halloween. Hes going as his idol, Freddie Mercury from Queen.

He could do the half mic thing and collect his candy in some sort of over the shoulder bag.

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i'm no sexual orientation counselor, but.......
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

You might look at PVC pump strainer's to use as the microphone end. They also call them "PVC intake screens"

^ I used control-v, btw.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Don't forget these:

JCW

Post by JCW »

He has teeth, mustache, a red plushy crown, a matching cloak, and we will be getting tight white pants, he will probably just wear his Queen tee-shirt , itll be too cold for a white tank top.

How would the candy get in that sewer trap thing, am I envisioning this wrong?
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

I believe it's inserted into and is removable from the pipe.
wut?
Cassandros
Hamsterphile

Post by Cassandros »

Another idea, grab a small moving box and paint it too look like a speaker; slap on a handle and have an opening at the top so he can carry it. He can 'attach' any mic to it, even a real one.
“The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither, the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great deal of both.” --Milton Friedman
JCW

Post by JCW »

Cassandros wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:15 am

Another idea, grab a small moving box and paint it too look like a speaker; slap on a handle and have an opening at the top so he can carry it. He can 'attach' any mic to it, even a real one.
This would be much easier to do, I may fall back on that if it comes down to a time crunch and I can't make the mic thing work. Thanks!!
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

JCW wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:54 pm He has teeth, mustache, a red plushy crown, a matching cloak, and we will be getting tight white pants, he will probably just wear his Queen tee-shirt , itll be too cold for a white tank top.

How would the candy get in that sewer trap thing, am I envisioning this wrong?
I was thinking that the "mic stand" is sort of long (3 feet) and then it has a "T". one end of the T goes to a microphone (sewer trap). The other end has an opening to put the candy. Maybe a fitting that enlarges from 2" to 4".

.......... candy
.........|.......|
..........\....../
............\.../__________
............|..___________ <-- microphone.
............|..|
............|..|
............|..|
............|..|
............|..|
............|..|
............ bag for candy
JCW

Post by JCW »

Ok thanks for the visual, that makes it much easier to figure out what parts I would need to scope out at Home Depot.
JCW

Post by JCW »

So I went to Home Depot today and while they had every part I could possibly need, at the end of the day I decided it would be too heavy/awkward for a kid to carry for any length of time. I came up with a couple alternative ideas and the one he agreed to finally was taking a white pillowcase and I will draw on the Queen logo of his choice and he will carry that. Thanks for all the ideas though!!