I started doing a thing this week

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

I started doing a thing this week

Post by JCW »

On a whim I joined my kid's karate class. I was going there twice a week with him anyway and playing phone games for an hour while he did his class, til one of the other adult class members started bugging me to join too. So, I started this week, with exactly ZERO experience in martial arts. I wasnt sure if I'd like it but it's actually a hell of a lot of fun and knowing some self-defense is never a bad idea. Anyone else done/do karate or any other martial arts?
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
megman
Nanook of the North

Re: I started doing a thing this week

Post by megman »

9 years Tae Kwon Do and 3 years Tai Chi.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
JCW

Post by JCW »

megman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:15 am 3 years Tai Chi.
Is that the old people in the park thing?
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

JCW wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:38 am
megman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:15 am 3 years Tai Chi.
Is that the old people in the park thing?
Yes.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

I have a Black in one style of Hapkido and a 3rd dan black in another. I started in a style called Kenpo JiuJutsu. Since I've moved to Florida I cant find anything I like so I haven't been training. I was over 30 when I started so its never too late.
Last edited by Stapes on Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
I blame Biker.
JCW

Post by JCW »

Stapes wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:50 am I have a Black in one style of Hapkido and a 3rd Dan in another. I started in a style called Kenpo JiuJutsu. Since I've moved to Florida I cant find anything I like so I haven't been training. I was over 30 when I started so its never too late.
This is Goju-Ryu style. Its definitely weird being the noobie in a class full of people as young as 10. (I'm approaching 40 but get told I look much younger all the time) On Tuesdays there are like 4 other adults, on Thursdays I'm the only one other than the sensei. I think I'm picking it up fairly quickly though, surprisingly yoga has made it easier in terms of flexibility and some of the stances. Plus its pretty cool to be sparring partners with my kid, it's a good bonding activity. I think I will stick with it, I like knowing I could kick some ass if necessary!
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

So let’s see your breasts, then.
JCW

Post by JCW »

VinceBordenIII wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:24 am So let’s see your breasts, then.
Yours first. My tits are well-known round these parts.
windrunner
Forum God

Post by windrunner »

I was a close combat/martial arts instructor in the Marine Corps.

JCW

Post by JCW »

windrunner wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:43 am I was a close combat/martial arts instructor in the Marine Corps.

Oh damn, nice! A whole bunch of adult noobs! Obviously its usefulness against a weapon is minimal but do you think technique really makes a difference in hand-to-hand combat or self-defense?
windrunner
Forum God

Post by windrunner »

JCW wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:50 am
windrunner wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:43 am I was a close combat/martial arts instructor in the Marine Corps.

Oh damn, nice! A whole bunch of adult noobs! Obviously its usefulness against a weapon is minimal but do you think technique really makes a difference in hand-to-hand combat or self-defense?
Master the basics. All the sexy dumb shit is ineffective. It's the basic gross motor skill movements that are effective. All of that other stuff looks good. It's attractive to see and learn - all the fancy, exotic names of all of those fight disciplines out there. None of that will be there for you in a real violent encounter.

Focus on training your mind first. You have to develop a combative mindset. Otherwise, anything you learn physically will be a waste. We've all heard the expression, "where your mind goes, your ass follows." If some technique you are learning requires a tremendous amount of repetition for you to grasp it, toss it aside. It will never be there for you. It requires an enormous amount of physical repetition because you are only trying to learn it physically. You are not learning it mentally. Teach your mind first.

That's what 'one mind, any weapon' means. It's not about having an actual weapon. I could fuck somebody's ass up with a spoon off a table in a restaurant. It wouldn't require some kind of Jason Bourne sexy bullshit either. It's about having a combative mindset. With the proper combative mindset, you'd be amazed at what you can do against someone with a weapon.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Good for you. Did some for a little bit with young CHEEZY a few years ago but time constraints made us stop. I'd like to start up again.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

I'm rather fond of boxing, I've had my training from the Marine Corps martial arts, some basic boxing, Ashihara Karate in Japan, which was more of a street fighting style, some old LINE training from the Corps. I'm not flexible, I can't run for shit any more, but you don't want me to connect with a punch.
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
JCW

Post by JCW »

windrunner wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:46 am
Master the basics. All the sexy dumb shit is ineffective. It's the basic gross motor skill movements that are effective. All of that other stuff looks good. It's attractive to see and learn - all the fancy, exotic names of all of those fight disciplines out there. None of that will be there for you in a real violent encounter.

Focus on training your mind first. You have to develop a combative mindset. Otherwise, anything you learn physically will be a waste. We've all heard the expression, "where your mind goes, your ass follows." If some technique you are learning requires a tremendous amount of repetition for you to grasp it, toss it aside. It will never be there for you. It requires an enormous amount of physical repetition because you are only trying to learn it physically. You are not learning it mentally. Teach your mind first.

That's what 'one mind, any weapon' means. It's not about having an actual weapon. I could fuck somebody's ass up with a spoon off a table in a restaurant. It wouldn't require some kind of Jason Bourne sexy bullshit either. It's about having a combative mindset. With the proper combative mindset, you'd be amazed at what you can do against someone with a weapon.
Great advice. I get flustered when someone watches me practice, getting right in my mind would help me stay focused and the moves will come more naturally.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Blast wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:30 pm I'm rather fond of boxing, I've had my training from the Marine Corps martial arts, some basic boxing, Ashihara Karate in Japan, which was more of a street fighting style, some old LINE training from the Corps. I'm not flexible, I can't run for shit any more, but you don't want me to connect with a punch.
I've got a buddy like that. Big dude, not in the greatest shape but strong AF. I've often thought about what would happen if we ever had a physical fight. If he ever landed a solid punch or got his hands on me I'd be seriously fucked but if I could keep my distance and pepper him I think he'd tire very quickly and then I could take him.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
JCW

Post by JCW »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:10 pm Good for you. Did some for a little bit with young CHEEZY a few years ago but time constraints made us stop. I'd like to start up again.
You should! It's great bonding time. I dunno about you guys but as mine turns into a tween and only emerges from his bedroom for food, those opportunities to stay connected are more important than ever.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

JCW wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:12 pm
windrunner wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:46 am

Great advice. I get flustered when someone watches me practice, getting right in my mind would help me stay focused and the moves will come more naturally.
Tai Chi is good for that also.
JCW

Post by JCW »

megman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:15 pm
I was actually thinking my yoga stuff helps with that too. I'm not old enough for tai chi. :P
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

JCW wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:17 pm
megman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:15 pm
I was actually thinking my yoga stuff helps with that too. I'm not old enough for tai chi. :P
Then you've already failed. :lol:
VinceBordenIII

Post by VinceBordenIII »

I looked for your nudes and didn’t find any. Just so you know.
JCW

Post by JCW »

VinceBordenIII wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:20 pm I looked for your nudes and didn’t find any. Just so you know.
Shoulda been there in the olden days of UJ then. Youre probably the only one here who hasn't seen them. Whomp whomp.
VinceBordenIII

Post by VinceBordenIII »

JCW wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:25 pm
VinceBordenIII wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:20 pm I looked for your nudes and didn’t find any. Just so you know.
Shoulda been there in the olden days of UJ then. Youre probably the only one here who hasn't seen them. Whomp whomp.
I was there, I’m sure I saw them, I want to see them again.
VinceBordenIII

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Stapes wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:50 am I have a Black in one style of Hapkido and a 3rd dan black in another. I started in a style called Kenpo JiuJutsu. Since I've moved to Florida I cant find anything I like so I haven't been training. I was over 30 when I started so its never too late.
... to get your ass kicked :lol:
JCW

Post by JCW »

VinceBordenIII wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:26 pm I was there, I’m sure I saw them, I want to see them again.
No, you really dont. Its better this way. Trust me.
PimpDaddy
Flat and Bony Ass Lover

Post by PimpDaddy »

I played Mortal Kombat a lot. Does that count?

Actually, I wrestled in school, and thought I would try MMA for exercise once I hit 30. It was awful!!! 18 year old kids with martial arts experience, cardio for days, teenage hormones and Red Bull...kicked my ass on a daily basis. I told everyone I had to quit because I was a afraid to go to my sales job with a black eye. Truth is it just fuckin hurt.

So good on you! I have a couple of fat friends that claim to be black belt this and that. Makes me think I should give it a try. If a 6 y/o kid and Elvis can earn a black belt in 6 months, maybe I can, too.