I'm gonna smoke a beef tenderloin.

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Any suggestions? Anyone ever done it? Low and slow. Cook it around 250F with mesquite smoke (real wood, not pellets).
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: I'm gonna smoke a beef tenderloin.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

I bet you are.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
WarmBidetWater
Forum God

Post by WarmBidetWater »

I would think you would need to be careful to not overcook it.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Boil it first.

sin WTC
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

WarmBidetWater wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:23 pm I would think you would need to be careful to not overcook it.
I would have thought the same thing. I always thought a beef tenderloin HAD to be cooked super hot and super fast. But, I just built a new smoker and have been trying it out and I had promised some guys on a hunting trip I would grill a tenderloin. So, I started looking for recipes to smoke one, instead. And it turns out it is a preferred method of cooking them for a lot of people. Heat control is critical since it will dry out quickly if over cooked, but low and slow actually increases that window of success.

From what I can tell, you do very little. Salt and pepper. Tie it up to make it uniform. Cook at 250 for about 1-1/2 hr to 2 hrs until the internal temp is around 125 or so. Then take it off and blast it over a hot fire to sear the outside. You want to end up with internal temp of around 140.
peterosehaircut
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by peterosehaircut »

I don't know how different a tenderloin would be from a prime rib roast but when I do a prime rib I pull it off the smoker at an internal temperature of 135 wrap it in an old towel and let it rest in a cooler for an hour.
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

peterosehaircut wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:20 pm I don't know how different a tenderloin would be from a prime rib roast but when I do a prime rib I pull it off the smoker at an internal temperature of 135 wrap it in an old towel and let it rest in a cooler for an hour.
dry towel or wet towel?
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes"
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

Flumper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:54 pm
WarmBidetWater wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:23 pm I would think you would need to be careful to not overcook it.
I would have thought the same thing. I always thought a beef tenderloin HAD to be cooked super hot and super fast. But, I just built a new smoker and have been trying it out and I had promised some guys on a hunting trip I would grill a tenderloin. So, I started looking for recipes to smoke one, instead. And it turns out it is a preferred method of cooking them for a lot of people. Heat control is critical since it will dry out quickly if over cooked, but low and slow actually increases that window of success.

From what I can tell, you do very little. Salt and pepper. Tie it up to make it uniform. Cook at 250 for about 1-1/2 hr to 2 hrs until the internal temp is around 125 or so. Then take it off and blast it over a hot fire to sear the outside. You want to end up with internal temp of around 140.
Ive always operated on the concept that chicken is cooked hot and fast. keeps it from drying out or getting tough. but red meat needs time to break down the connective tissue that makes the meat tough. low and slow is the way to go. have to keep it from drying out by keeping the temperature low. some people brine the meat for AT LEAST 24hours to keep it moist and hydrated.

definitely want to try it again, was college since the last time I smoked some meat. That came out wrong, I realize that now.....
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes"
JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by JCW »

Careful, a gender researcher told me if you put too much meat I'm your mouth, itll turn you gay. Something about all the hormones we pump into our meat.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

peterosehaircut wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:20 pm I don't know how different a tenderloin would be from a prime rib roast but when I do a prime rib I pull it off the smoker at an internal temperature of 135 wrap it in an old towel and let it rest in a cooler for an hour.
that's pretty much exactly how i do it. i have never smoked a prime rib roast, but i have smoked tons of briskets. i wrap them at around 165 and keep smoking them until they get 195 to 203. then wrap them in a towel and put in a igloo cooler for an hour (at least, sometimes 4 or 5 hours). A huge chunk of meat like that takes a long time to rest properly. Plus its impossible to time a brisket to be done "x" minutes before dinner. So you just have to plan to try to have it done 3 or 4 hours ahead of time and let it sit in the cooler if its done early.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

allwhitemeat wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:23 pm
dry towel or wet towel?
dry. just something to insulate it.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Wrap it in bacon first.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

:buttsway:
allwhitemeat wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:23 pm
dry towel or wet towel?
Used and unwashed sex towel.
wut?
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Antknot wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:20 pm Wrap it in bacon first.
The towel?
wut?
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

megman wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:47 pm Boil it first.

sin WTC
:lol: touche, Sir