Brushes with Celebrity

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Re: Brushes with Celebrity

Post by HighNDry »

s.murph wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:21 am Brett Butler banged my brains out for a year in Houston before she became famous...

Narrator: This did not happen.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
peterosehaircut
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by peterosehaircut »

Uncle Ted.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

I had my picture taken with Dan Quayle at a golf tournament in Lake Tahoe.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

megman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:40 pm
FSchmertz wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:35 pm
megman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm Played chess against Bobby Fisher.
Betcha that didn't last long
I was about 10. He was at a mall in Windsor doing the 40 board thing. My parents paid like 1 or 2 dollars. I held my own for awhile but got my ass handed to me on a silver platter eventually.

I was good, getting a CFC rating later in life, but not Bobby Fisher level. :lol:
Those dudes have 20+ moves memorized for every opening, they don't even have to think about it.

Though I suppose a player who knows nothing could make an expert pause and figure out why the idiot shouldn't ever make those moves? :mrgreen:
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

s.murph wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:21 am Brett Butler banged my brains out for a year in Houston before she became famous...

i can pretty much certify with 100% certainty that this is, in fact, the real smurph. alive and kicking. poised to outlive all others so the shame and humiliation of Brett Butler can be forever memorialized. merry christmas.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Deathproof wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:54 am Yup.
I liked the Doobie Brothers, back in the day, but i was never a michael mcdonnel fan (one way or the other). that avatar was sort of a joke between me and tomfoolery.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Skunk Baxter and Michael were both players in Steely Dan, Jeff decided to join the Doobies, and Michael followed later.

hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

I was on a painting crew working on the CFO of Microsoft's home, one day this person comes walking through checking the massive house out, I turned to my boss and said "that dude looks like a woman" and he said "that's Bill Gates".
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Flumper wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:45 pm
Deathproof wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:54 am Yup.
I liked the Doobie Brothers, back in the day, but i was never a michael mcdonnel fan (one way or the other). that avatar was sort of a joke between me and tomfoolery.
He's been lumped into the Yacht Rock category for a lot of his work I believe, though he was one of the first, so perhaps not derivative.

Not my favorite kind of music. Too much production and overuse of studio musicians.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

I might not agree, but the criticism is fair. I love Steely Dan for reasons others can't stand em.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Steely Dan is one of my all time favorites.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Becker and Fagen are the funkiest white boys ever...

FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Charliesheen wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:17 pm I might not agree, but the criticism is fair. I love Steely Dan for reasons others can't stand em.
It's weird I guess, but I'm also a big Steely Dan fan, and no one out-do's them when it comes to elaborate production/use of studio musicians.

When I got my first stereo system, I brought "Aja" with me to test it.

P.S. Becker & Fagan have a fascinating video on Axs TV on how they made the "Aja" album, btw

P.P.S. I'm also a big Alan Parsons Project (APP) fan
Last edited by FSchmertz on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i've never met a painter that had very good taste in music.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Probably will only matter to the Canuckistanis, but I was a "puck boy" for the Houston Aeros for a couple years after the WHA started a team there in the early 70's. We assisted with practices, getting towels and drinks and shit, but WHA rules didn't allow us around the rink during games. So we got free passes to the games instead. Which means I got to meet with Gordie Howe and his sons Mark and Marty a lot and see a metric shit-ton of good hockey. They were generally great and nice guys, always interested in seeing the sport of hockey grow.

I love hockey even to this day. Watching it allows me to express as a southern 'Merkin a little of my inner Canadian. ;)
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:26 pm Becker and Fagen are the funkiest white boys ever...

I think that's one of the reasons I like them and not MacDonald so much.

A jazz and funk edge to them that stereotypical Yacht Rock just doesn't usually have.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:32 pm Probably will only matter to the Canuckistanis, but I was a "puck boy" for the Houston Aeros for a couple years after the WHA started a team there in the early 70's. We assisted with practices, getting towels and drinks and shit, but WHA rules didn't allow us around the rink during games. So we got free passes to the games instead. Which means I got to meet with Gordie Howe and his sons Mark and Marty a lot and see a metric shit-ton of good hockey. They were generally great and nice guys, always interested in seeing the sport of hockey grow.

I love hockey even to this day. Watching it allows me to express as a southern 'Merkin a little of my inner Canadian. ;)
Used to watch Gordie growing up. Bob Wall played with Gordie and he lives not too far from me. He has some really interesting stories about the early days of the NHL.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

FSchmertz wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:45 pm
megman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:40 pm
FSchmertz wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:35 pm
megman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm Played chess against Bobby Fisher.
Betcha that didn't last long
I was about 10. He was at a mall in Windsor doing the 40 board thing. My parents paid like 1 or 2 dollars. I held my own for awhile but got my ass handed to me on a silver platter eventually.

I was good, getting a CFC rating later in life, but not Bobby Fisher level. :lol:
Those dudes have 20+ moves memorized for every opening, they don't even have to think about it.

Though I suppose a player who knows nothing could make an expert pause and figure out why the idiot shouldn't ever make those moves? :mrgreen:
For 5 years I played nothing but 5 min games. You can slap out 40+ moves in the first minute.

Club players hated me. They would practically play a game right out of a book. I come along and I didn't read that book and they would get their asses kicked. I learned by doing and not reading.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:32 pm Probably will only matter to the Canuckistanis, but I was a "puck boy" for the Houston Aeros for a couple years after the WHA started a team there in the early 70's. We assisted with practices, getting towels and drinks and shit, but WHA rules didn't allow us around the rink during games. So we got free passes to the games instead. Which means I got to meet with Gordie Howe and his sons Mark and Marty a lot and see a metric shit-ton of good hockey. They were generally great and nice guys, always interested in seeing the sport of hockey grow.

They didn't call him Mr. Hockey for nothing. Gordie Howe was widely regarded as just an all around good guy. Also, live hockey at a high level might be some of the best sporting entertainment around. Too bad the Red Wings haven't played at a high level in years. :lol:
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:03 pm

They didn't call him Mr. Hockey for nothing. Gordie Howe was widely regarded as just an all around good guy. Also, live hockey at a high level might be some of the best sporting entertainment around. Too bad the Red Wings haven't played at a high level in years. :lol:
Bob Wall was telling me one time playing with Gordie, Gordie turned to him on the bench and said "I'm going to introduce the rookie to the NHL.

Went on the ice and cross-checked said rookie in the corner sending him to the ice.

The rookie was Bobby Orr.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

there are very few words in that paragraph that I recognize.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

Flumper wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:48 pm
there are very few words in that paragraph that I recognize.
Same here. Every time I read something about Canada, all I can think is "WHY do we let them be a country?"
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Deathproof wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:16 pm
Same here. Every time I read something about Canada, all I can think is "WHY do we let them be a country?"
did you know that in order for most canadians to get sex they have to order it months in advance and its only shipped in once a year? And if they run out, they have to beg the neighbors for enough to make it until the summer thaw.

its a weird place up there.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

My Dad took me and my brother to a few games in the early 70's to watch the Aeroes and Howe and his sons.