Finally energized my new(no autoplay videos please)

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Finally energized my new(no autoplay videos please)

Post by necronomous »

Solar panels. Getting a 16k tax rebate with it, and the company pays the first 18months.
Last edited by necronomous on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Finally energized my new

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:05 pm Solar panels. Getting a 16k tax rebate with it, and the company pays the first 18months.
Interesting. I was just resaearching this yesterday, just to get my head around costs, etc. I was looking at my company electric bill. I think it was around 4,000 kWh. Which, if my google search was right, takes around 35,000 watts of solar panels to produce.

I was a little surprised at the limited options on a google search to find people that sell and install them in order to get prices. It did look like the local electric company gives some kind of rebate on costs and then you also get a 30% tax credit from the IRS for the entire cost. It looked as if most projections showed it to be around a 12 year (give or take) process to break even and the equipment has around a 20 year life span.
fouts
Forum God

Post by fouts »

necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:05 pm Solar panels. Getting a 16k tax rebate with it, and the company pays the first 18months.
solar for power or heating hot water?
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

fouts wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:15 pm
solar for power or heating hot water?
Full system. 9.9kwh for my house.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:11 pm
Interesting. I was just resaearching this yesterday, just to get my head around costs, etc. I was looking at my company electric bill. I think it was around 4,000 kWh. Which, if my google search was right, takes around 35,000 watts of solar panels to produce.

I was a little surprised at the limited options on a google search to find people that sell and install them in order to get prices. It did look like the local electric company gives some kind of rebate on costs and then you also get a 30% tax credit from the IRS for the entire cost. It looked as if most projections showed it to be around a 12 year (give or take) process to break even and the equipment has around a 20 year life span.
It cost 52k. If we can get enough paid down, it will basically take the place of our electric bill. So we won't even notice a real cost difference.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING ON LINE.

If you give any info like a phone number you will be telemarketed to insanity. Ask me anything. I sold the category for about a year.

Panels produce roughly 300 watts apiece. You don't need to replace all your usage to save money. Go after the highest cost electricity which is peak time and over baseline.

Use a roofing company. They'll stay in business when the fad is over or the rebates go away, and your warranty will remain intact. No other company wants to walk on your roof to look at somebody else's fucked up install.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Charliesheen wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:27 pm

DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING ON LINE.

If you give any info like a phone number you will be telemarketed to insanity. Ask me anything. I sold the category for about a year.

Panels produce roughly 300 watts apiece. You don't need to replace all your usage to save money. Go after the highest cost electricity which is peak time and over baseline.

Use a roofing company. They'll stay in business when the fad is over or the rebates go away, and your warranty will remain intact. No other company wants to walk on your roof to look at somebody else's fucked up install.
I went with blue Raven solar. They seem to be reputable, and their install was on point. They've been great so far.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

Good for you. We live in a condo so it's not an option.

Can you sell electricity back to the electric utility company in your area?

A grade school friend did the entire solar thing - about 3 years into it the problems began.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Charliesheen wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:27 pm DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING ON LINE.

So, walk me through this. Give me an approximate size of a 300 watt panel? If my math is right, i would need about 100 of those in order to fully offset my usage. You say to target peak times. Is there a percentage of monthly usage that you recommend? 50%?
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Nuclear is going to make you all look like monkeys. Enjoy your dead eagles.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

beagleboy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:29 pm Good for you. We live in a condo so it's not an option.

Can you sell electricity back to the electric utility company in your area?

A grade school friend did the entire solar thing - about 3 years into it the problems began.
It's a one for one exchange. And it rolls over each month and year. Ours are warrantied for the life of the product.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:34 pm

So, walk me through this. Give me an approximate size of a 300 watt panel? If my math is right, i would need about 100 of those in order to fully offset my usage. You say to target peak times. Is there a percentage of monthly usage that you recommend? 50%?
Mine are 11/2 feet by 3 feet.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

VinceBordenIII wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:29 pm Nuclear is going to make you all look like monkeys. Enjoy your dead eagles.
Few eagles around. I think I'm good.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:02 pm

so, 1.5 ft x 3 ft per panel. If I needed, 100 of them that would be 450 sf. That's really not that much to be honest. Even a very small structure would have more roof space than 21 ft x 21 ft. I understand they need to be sort of aiming toward a southern sky. I don't know how important that is. For example, my office roof is gabled, with the ridge of the gable running North/South. The roof isn't pitched much, but the front half of the gable would be pitched slightly to the west, and the other half slightly east. So, neither half is pitched toward the south. But, the sky is unobstructed above the roof (no trees or buildings blocking anything).
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:05 pm
necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:02 pm

so, 1.5 ft x 3 ft per panel. If I needed, 100 of them that would be 450 sf. That's really not that much to be honest. Even a very small structure would have more roof space than 21 ft x 21 ft. I understand they need to be sort of aiming toward a southern sky. I don't know how important that is. For example, my office roof is gabled, with the ridge of the gable running North/South. The roof isn't pitched much, but the front half of the gable would be pitched slightly to the west, and the other half slightly east. So, neither half is pitched toward the south. But, the sky is unobstructed above the roof (no trees or buildings blocking anything).
I was wrong. Had looked at the wrong thing. The dimensions are 65in x 39in x 1.6 in. Sorry about that. I have all the specs on the plans they left. I can tell you this. I've produced 45.71 kWh today on 33 panels. 21 are sitting at a 45° and the other 12 at 20°. And an azimuth of 149°. They are pretty much in the sun all day. And it was raining this morning so not as bright.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:22 pm I was wrong. Had looked at the wrong thing. The dimensions are 65in x 39in x 1.6 in. Sorry about that. I have all the specs on the plans they left. I can tell you this. I've produced 45.71 kWh today on 33 panels. 21 are sitting at a 45° and the other 12 at 20°. And an azimuth of 149°. They are pretty much in the sun all day. And it was raining this morning so not as bright.
well, holy shit, that makes a lot of difference. So each panel is 17.6 square feet. I would need 1760 sf or 42 feet x 42 feet for the panels. I would still have that much room.

45.71 kWh in one day x 30.5 days/month = 1400 kWh in a month. That's about 1/3 as much as I would need. And you spent $52,000 on that? Surely something the size that I am thinking wouldn't be in the $150k range?
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Keep in mind the federal solar tax credit credit drops to 26% for installations started in 2020, and 22% for installations started in 2021.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

B-Tender wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:43 pm Keep in mind the federal solar tax credit credit drops to 26% for installations started in 2020, and 22% for installations started in 2021.
yeah, i saw that, but those fucks are always rolling back that shit. its 30% now and sure enough a month or two before it drops to 26% they will extend the 30% deal.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:44 pm
B-Tender wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:43 pm Keep in mind the federal solar tax credit credit drops to 26% for installations started in 2020, and 22% for installations started in 2021.
yeah, i saw that, but those fucks are always rolling back that shit. its 30% now and sure enough a month or two before it drops to 26% they will extend the 30% deal.
Maybe, but the current administration isn't pushing for it.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

Congrats Necro.

How do you think this solar panel implementation will affect the resale value of your home?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:04 pm Congrats Necro.

How do you think this solar panel implementation will affect the resale value of your home?
i think what i read is that it typically adds 20% of what you spent, so in his case ($52k) it would add about $10,000 to the value of his home.

Honestly, I would be pretty skeptical of that number going in. I would think that it might actually subtract value if it looks kind of hideous. Or if it looks like a high maintenance situation. I would certainly be concerned buying a house with a 15 year old solar structure up on the roof and what it might be fixing to cost me.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:40 pm
necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:22 pm I was wrong. Had looked at the wrong thing. The dimensions are 65in x 39in x 1.6 in. Sorry about that. I have all the specs on the plans they left. I can tell you this. I've produced 45.71 kWh today on 33 panels. 21 are sitting at a 45° and the other 12 at 20°. And an azimuth of 149°. They are pretty much in the sun all day. And it was raining this morning so not as bright.
well, holy shit, that makes a lot of difference. So each panel is 17.6 square feet. I would need 1760 sf or 42 feet x 42 feet for the panels. I would still have that much room.

45.71 kWh in one day x 30.5 days/month = 1400 kWh in a month. That's about 1/3 as much as I would need. And you spent $52,000 on that? Surely something the size that I am thinking wouldn't be in the $150k range?
And that's before the 16k back in taxes and the 18 months they will be paying.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:40 pm

Also that's in the winter with a partial rain day. So more in summer.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:09 pm
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:04 pm Congrats Necro.

i think what i read is that it typically adds 20% of what you spent, so in his case ($52k) it would add about $10,000 to the value of his home.

Honestly, I would be pretty skeptical of that number going in. I would think that it might actually subtract value if it looks kind of hideous. Or if it looks like a high maintenance situation. I would certainly be concerned buying a house with a 15 year old solar structure up on the roof and what it might be fixing to cost me.
Normally I would agree. However, we are one of the few homes that have it in an area that's starting to boom millennials. The RTP area in NC. So I would put a couple extra grand on that, but yeah not much more. Maybe 15-20.
And thanks fsf
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

B-Tender wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:58 pm
Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:44 pm
Maybe, but the current administration isn't pushing for it.
They are