Finally energized my new(no autoplay videos please)

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Finally energized my new

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:37 pm
And that's before the 16k back in taxes and the 18 months they will be paying.
what, exactly, is the 18 months that "they" are "paying". Who is "they". And what are they paying for over 18 months (electric bill? Payments on the $52k equipment? what?) And how much are "they" paying over those 18 months?
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:41 pm
what, exactly, is the 18 months that "they" are "paying". Who is "they". And what are they paying for over 18 months (electric bill? Payments on the $52k equipment? what?) And how much are "they" paying over those 18 months?
Blue Raven. As part of the incentive to buy. 233 a month. It goes up to 335after if we don't pay to the 16k tax incentive decrease. So basically they want you to put that back. And it's for the panels. We still will pay the electric if we owe, but we are hoping it will supplement.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

I had a question about this subject. We have a bunch of solar farms around here. They are computer tracked to allow the panels to track the sun directly every day at any angle. The plant manager has the option to hit an emergency button in case of hail storms that will turn every panel upside down to protect them. Since that doesn't seem possible on household roofs, don't you have to factor that in? I mean just about everybody gets hail occasionally, sometimes real bad ones, making your investment moot. Just curious.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:47 pm
Blue Raven. As part of the incentive to buy. 233 a month. It goes up to 335after if we don't pay to the 16k tax incentive decrease. So basically they want you to put that back. And it's for the panels. We still will pay the electric if we owe, but we are hoping it will supplement.
okay, so let me get this right. Basically you are financining the $52,000 investment. And the monthly payment is $233 a month. BUT, that figure is calculated based on the fact that you will take your $16,000 rebate and GIVE it to them so that you are really only financing the difference $36,000. If you don't give them the $16,000, then the payment jumps to $335 per month, which is the payment for the entire $52,000 loan. How many year loan is this? It sounds like its probably a 20 year note or more?
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:13 pm
necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:47 pm
okay, so let me get this right. Basically you are financining the $52,000 investment. And the monthly payment is $233 a month. BUT, that figure is calculated based on the fact that you will take your $16,000 rebate and GIVE it to them so that you are really only financing the difference $36,000. If you don't give them the $16,000, then the payment jumps to $335 per month, which is the payment for the entire $52,000 loan. How many year loan is this? It sounds like its probably a 20 year note or more?
Yes, but we can supplement the electric, and pay more.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:11 pm I had a question about this subject. We have a bunch of solar farms around here. They are computer tracked to allow the panels to track the sun directly every day at any angle. The plant manager has the option to hit an emergency button in case of hail storms that will turn every panel upside down to protect them. Since that doesn't seem possible on household roofs, don't you have to factor that in? I mean just about everybody gets hail occasionally, sometimes real bad ones, making your investment moot. Just curious.
i have wondered the same thing. Are these things made out of hail proof glass (how about it elon?)? I mean, if they are, it almost seems as though the insurance company should give you a rebate for protecting the roof on the house.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:14 pm Yes, but we can supplement the electric, and pay more.
Tell me if i am rewording this correctly. Your monthly payment is $335 per month and you owe a balance of $52,000. Now, if this set up offsets your entire electric bill (which used to be $500 a month) then you could pay $500 a month (instead of $335) and the added $165 would go toward principal and lower your term. So, the 20 year note, would become a 12 year note?
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:18 pm
necronomous wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:14 pm Yes, but we can supplement the electric, and pay more.
Tell me if i am rewording this correctly. Your monthly payment is $335 per month and you owe a balance of $52,000. Now, if this set up offsets your entire electric bill (which used to be $500 a month) then you could pay $500 a month (instead of $335) and the added $165 would go toward principal and lower your term. So, the 20 year note, would become a 12 year note?
More or less yes. And if we were to put that full 16k back it would lower it further. So the more we can put back in while they are paying, the lower our payment becomes and the quicker we pay it off. We really want to hit that 16k mark, but we are going to pay off the new AC we got a couple years back, but we are going to use that to pay into the monthly as well.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:18 pm
Also, any thing that you add to it can also get 30% back. But only if it deals with the panel installment. So as an example, replacing the roof or knocking down a tree to get better sun, you can roll those loans into the panel loan, and get an the 30% from that extra as well.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:15 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:11 pm I had a question about this subject. We have a bunch of solar farms around here. They are computer tracked to allow the panels to track the sun directly every day at any angle. The plant manager has the option to hit an emergency button in case of hail storms that will turn every panel upside down to protect them. Since that doesn't seem possible on household roofs, don't you have to factor that in? I mean just about everybody gets hail occasionally, sometimes real bad ones, making your investment moot. Just curious.
i have wondered the same thing. Are these things made out of hail proof glass (how about it elon?)? I mean, if they are, it almost seems as though the insurance company should give you a rebate for protecting the roof on the house.
Yeah. I'm waiting for Necro's reply but just a couple of thoughts. Does insurance cover that? Seems to me that would be a special insurance policy. And I have no doubt there would not be any rebate for that- just the opposite. Think about it. Necro mentions he lives in NC. Doesn't matter what his house is worth or what's it's made of. Just as example- his house is worth 200K- it's insured for whatever $'s. Now add a 25 % value of your house, delicate (no matter how advanced) Solar system to your roof subject to weather, hail, dirt, whatever. Would not be surprised at a doubling of home insurance rates. Would seem to me to be an issue on the whole cost/benefit equation.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

Damn, it looks like Necro got fucked over and lost out big time going with solar. Sorry for your loss Necro. SMH. :o
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Flumper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:34 pm
Charliesheen wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:27 pm DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING ON LINE.

If you give any info like a phone number you will be telemarketed to insanity. Ask me anything. I sold the category for about a year.

Panels produce roughly 300 watts apiece. You don't need to replace all your usage to save money. Go after the highest cost electricity which is peak time and over baseline.

Use a roofing company. They'll stay in business when the fad is over or the rebates go away, and your warranty will remain intact. No other company wants to walk on your roof to look at somebody else's fucked up install.
So, walk me through this. Give me an approximate size of a 300 watt panel? If my math is right, i would need about 100 of those in order to fully offset my usage. You say to target peak times. Is there a percentage of monthly usage that you recommend? 50%?
A 100 panels is nuts. They measure roughly 3 x 5. You need to know your annual electricity usage total.

Strip your utility bill of personal info and post it, or pm it to me. You're looking for the amount of over baseline usage, and also how much you use at peak time. Put in enough capacity to keep you out of second and third tier billing.

If your state is like California, you will be credited 40 cents or whatever for all the peak electricity you generate but don't use. That adds up a lot faster than the 17 cent stuff.

How many kilowatts do you use in an AVERAGE month. AC is the killer, followed by hot water, unless you have a heat pump or split units.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Charlie does seem to know his shit on the subject, no doubt the expert to ask.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Warranty and or insurance will cover.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:12 am
Yeah. I'm waiting for Necro's reply but just a couple of thoughts. Does insurance cover that? Seems to me that would be a special insurance policy. And I have no doubt there would not be any rebate for that- just the opposite. Think about it. Necro mentions he lives in NC. Doesn't matter what his house is worth or what's it's made of. Just as example- his house is worth 200K- it's insured for whatever $'s. Now add a 25 % value of your house, delicate (no matter how advanced) Solar system to your roof subject to weather, hail, dirt, whatever. Would not be surprised at a doubling of home insurance rates. Would seem to me to be an issue on the whole cost/benefit equation.
Adds nothing. Included in insurance coverage. We don't have many hail storms. At least that can damage them. I say that having one this year, but that's the first time since I've been alive that we've had hail that big in this area. We're good.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:17 am Damn, it looks like Necro got fucked over and lost out big time going with solar. Sorry for your loss Necro. SMH. :o
Nope
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

necronomous wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:23 am
Adds nothing. Included in insurance coverage. We don't have many hail storms. At least that can damage them. I say that having one this year, but that's the first time since I've been alive that we've had hail that big in this area. We're good.
OK, now I sense some untruths to your current situation. You add a delicate electrical contraption onto your roof equal to 25% value (whatever) of the value of your home. Then you downplay what the insurance coverage will be ( I was an insurance agent for 20 years- they aren't covering that shit for free, I can assure you). And then the whole "It hardly hails here" scenario (in NC ??) does not bode well. Sorry, don't mean to rain on you parade. Hope it works out but these issues are ones that future solar homeowners need to face. It's not a pretty picture.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

They're probably rated for certain weather extremes. Some houses have them here and building codes require resistance to category 3 hurricane winds.
wut?
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:05 am
OK, now I sense some untruths to your current situation. You add a delicate electrical contraption onto your roof equal to 25% value (whatever) of the value of your home. Then you downplay what the insurance coverage will be ( I was an insurance agent for 20 years- they aren't covering that shit for free, I can assure you). And then the whole "It hardly hails here" scenario (in NC ??) does not bode well. Sorry, don't mean to rain on you parade. Hope it works out but these issues are ones that future solar homeowners need to face. It's not a pretty picture.
Here watch where I don't give a fuck if you believe me or not. It added 0 to insurance. How does it rarely hailing not bode well? That's the truth. What others face aren't what were facing. Have a nice day.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Wut wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:18 am They're probably rated for certain weather extremes. Some houses have them here and building codes require resistance to category 3 hurricane winds.
Cat 3 here but the installers said could probably stand a 5. The roof would fly off first. But again, pretty far inland. We feel hurricanes and we've had a few, but usually its moreso at the beach. We aren't even in a flood zone. VA wouldn't allow it. By the time most get here they've calmed down.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Charliesheen wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:20 am
A 100 panels is nuts. They measure roughly 3 x 5. You need to know your annual electricity usage total.

Strip your utility bill of personal info and post it, or pm it to me. You're looking for the amount of over baseline usage, and also how much you use at peak time. Put in enough capacity to keep you out of second and third tier billing.

If your state is like California, you will be credited 40 cents or whatever for all the peak electricity you generate but don't use. That adds up a lot faster than the 17 cent stuff.

How many kilowatts do you use in an AVERAGE month. AC is the killer, followed by hot water, unless you have a heat pump or split units.
I went into this explaining that I'm certainly no expert on the subject, in fact only started looking into it to learn a thing or two. I did post my typical monthly consumption 4,000 kWh. and I admitted that google was what told me for a monthly usage of 4,000 kWh i would need around 34,000 watt system. That's how I came up with 100 panels based on Necro telling me what his panels produce.

I will agree that does not adjust for peak use or anything like that, but on my bill none of that shit is addressed. We get a total of kWh used in a month (meter reading at start subtracted from meter reading at end of month). I have no idea how they convert that to the charge on the bill. The only other number on the bill is the Actual kW/kVA of 22 and a multiplier of 1.00.

For last month the Usage kWh was 3,879. The breakdown of cost is this:

Electrical Service Commercial:
Base charge........................$ 7.90
Energy Charge.....................$659.43
Gross Receipts Reimb...........$ 13.30
Sales Tax...........................$ 56.15
TOTAL Commercial Charge......$736.81

Electric Service Distribution:
TDU Delivery Charges............$240.60
Gross Receipts Reimb............$ 4.78
Subtotal............................$245.38
Sales Tax...........................$ 20.24
TOTAL Distriution Charges.......$265.62

For a total bill of $1,002.43. Then there is a note that says "The average price you paid for electric service this month was 23.4 cents per kWh excluding taxes and non-recurring charges or credits. My worst month this year was September where the kWh was around 7,000. The average is more around 4,000.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

necronomous wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:50 am
Here watch where I don't give a fuck if you believe me or not. It added 0 to insurance. How does it rarely hailing not bode well? That's the truth. What others face aren't what were facing. Have a nice day.
To throw you a bone, I can increase my coverage. And we may. But we don't have to because our current endorsements cover solar panels.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

I wasn't saying I didn't believe you. I just find it hard to believe that by adding $50,000 + (like adding a room) onto your house, your insurance wouldn't go up. You also have a nice day.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

necronomous wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:27 pm

To throw you a bone, I can increase my coverage. And we may. But we don't have to because our current endorsements cover solar panels.
Thanks. To be honest, all those years in insurance, I never sold a homeowner policy that included a solar roof. I wasn't sure how that worked.