rock and roll hall of fame

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Re: rock and roll hall of fame

Post by HighNDry »

Flumper wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:47 pm i had to google Cheap Trick to even figure out who they were. I recognized one song in their top 10 and i recognized their lead guitarist (the guy that dressed like a kid out of Our Gang).
At least Cheap Trick can be considered a rock band. But Gin Blossoms? 1-800-Come-On-Now.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

HighNDry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:48 pm
Deathproof wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 pm
HighNDry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:48 pm
Deathproof wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm I used to think the Hall of Fame was a fucking joke. But then Cheap Trick got in and legitimized it.
Legitimized it legitimized it, or legitimized it as a joke?
Legitimized it. It's not a rock hall of fame without the greatest rock band to ever exist. It got even more legit when they added Nirvana. Now they just need the Gin Blossoms and they'll have the three best bands of all time, and it will undeniably be a true rock hall of fame.
I’ll give you Cheap Trick and Nirvana, but saying the RnR HOF isn’t complete without Gin Blossoms is just crazy talk.
It's not.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
BigChiefin
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by BigChiefin »

Gin Blossoms are a small step above Dave Matthews on the douche chills meter. Awful.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Big Chiefin' wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 pm Gin Blossoms are a small step above Dave Matthews on the douche chills meter. Awful.
False. Musical geniuses.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
Drunk Blast
Forum Regular

Post by Drunk Blast »

Deathproof wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 pm
Big Chiefin' wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 pm Gin Blossoms are a small step above Dave Matthews on the douche chills meter. Awful.
False. Musical geniuses.
Watch out, the dream police are coming for you
:drinkingdrunk: :drinkingdrunk: :drinkingdrunk: :drinkingdrunk:
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

Drunk Blast wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:06 am
False. Musical geniuses.
Seriously, DeathProof is living a dream thinking he's any type of musician. Why don't you post some music here DeathProof if you're any good? My grandfather had is own band back in the day and opened up for Frank Sinatra in NJ nightclubs on several occasions. I doubt DeathProof has done anything.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:55 am
Drunk Blast wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:06 am
False. Musical geniuses.
Seriously, DeathProof is living a dream thinking he's any type of musician. Why don't you post some music here DeathProof if you're any good? My grandfather had is own band back in the day and opened up for Frank Sinatra in NJ nightclubs on several occasions. I doubt DeathProof has done anything.
*Yawn* I spent New Year's Eve playing a show, and drinking chilled tequila shots with Bruce Springsteen afterward. Gonna be opening a few dates with Rod Stewart and Cheap Trick this summer. But yeah, I'll gladly throw away everything we've worked for by outing my identity for you. /s
spudoc
Most Likely To Have a Neckbeard

Post by spudoc »

False. Musical geniuses.
I'd argue that the Gin Blossoms' body of work is too small for them to be included in the hall of fame.
Also the idea of a hall of fame for something that is completely subjective is ridiculous.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

spudoc wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:25 pm
False. Musical geniuses.
I'd argue that the Gin Blossoms' body of work is too small for them to be included in the hall of fame.
Also the idea of a hall of fame for something that is completely subjective is ridiculous.
Their body of work is larger than Nirvana's. Nirvana had three studio albums (Bleach, Nevermind, and In Utero), a rarities/b-sides collection (Incesticide), and three posthumous live albums (From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah, MTV Unplugged in New York, and Live from Reading).
The Gin Blossoms have released six studio albums (Dusted, New Miserable Experience, Congratulations I'm Sorry, Major Lodge Victory, No Chocolate Cake, and Mixed Reality), two EPs (Shut Up & Smoke and Up & Crumbling), two live albums (Live in Concert and Just South of Nowhere), and a rarities/b-sides collection (New Miserable Experience Rarities Edition).

Also, if we want to talk about longetivity, Nirvana was active from 1987 to 1993. The Gin Blossoms were active from 1989 to 1997, and then again from 2000 to present.

Don't misunderstand me, I am a huge Nirvana fan, but by any metric, the Gin Blossoms are as deserving if not more deserving of a Hall of Fame spot.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Ask somebody to name a Nirvana song: Smells like teen spirit

Ask somebody to name a gin blossoms song: Who?
I blame Biker.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Stapes wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:08 pm Ask somebody to name a Nirvana song: Smells like teen spirit

"Hey Jealousy", "Found Out About You", "Allison Road", "Til I Hear it from You", "Follow You Down", "Come on Hard", "As Long as it Matters"... another metric by which the Gin Blossoms come out on top: number of charting singles. Also, the Gin Blossoms still get radio play on mainstream radio, whereas Nirvana gets played on rock stations only.

Oh, and the Gin Blossoms have won a Grammy. Nirvana never did.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Deathproof wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:04 pm Their body of work is larger than Nirvana's. Nirvana had three studio albums (Bleach, Nevermind, and In Utero), a rarities/b-sides collection (Incesticide), and three posthumous live albums (From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah, MTV Unplugged in New York, and Live from Reading).
The Gin Blossoms have released six studio albums (Dusted, New Miserable Experience, Congratulations I'm Sorry, Major Lodge Victory, No Chocolate Cake, and Mixed Reality), two EPs (Shut Up & Smoke and Up & Crumbling), two live albums (Live in Concert and Just South of Nowhere), and a rarities/b-sides collection (New Miserable Experience Rarities Edition).

Also, if we want to talk about longetivity, Nirvana was active from 1987 to 1993. The Gin Blossoms were active from 1989 to 1997, and then again from 2000 to present.

Don't misunderstand me, I am a huge Nirvana fan, but by any metric, the Gin Blossoms are as deserving if not more deserving of a Hall of Fame spot.
do you realize that Hank Williams died when he was 29 years old? 29 fucking years old. this poor ass school dropout that was raised by his mother. have you ever sat and really read the words that he wrote in some of his songs? "why can't a free your doubtful mind, and melt your cold, cold heart?" No poet has ever written words so simply to make a point. "The silence of a falling star lights up a purple sky. And as I wonder where you are, I'm so lonesome I could cry".

gin blossom? get the fuck out of here.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Flumper wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:22 pm
Deathproof wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:04 pm Their body of work is larger than Nirvana's. Nirvana had three studio albums (Bleach, Nevermind, and In Utero), a rarities/b-sides collection (Incesticide), and three posthumous live albums (From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah, MTV Unplugged in New York, and Live from Reading).

do you realize that Hank Williams died when he was 29 years old? 29 fucking years old. this poor ass school dropout that was raised by his mother. have you ever sat and really read the words that he wrote in some of his songs? "why can't a free your doubtful mind, and melt your cold, cold heart?" No poet has ever written words so simply to make a point. "The silence of a falling star lights up a purple sky. And as I wonder where you are, I'm so lonesome I could cry".

"She had nothing left to say, so she said she loved me. I stood there grateful for the lie." Doug Hopkins was better.
Stapes

Post by Stapes »

Deathproof wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:18 pm
Stapes wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:08 pm Ask somebody to name a Nirvana song: Smells like teen spirit

"Hey Jealousy", "Found Out About You", "Allison Road", "Til I Hear it from You", "Follow You Down", "Come on Hard", "As Long as it Matters"... another metric by which the Gin Blossoms come out on top: number of charting singles. Also, the Gin Blossoms still get radio play on mainstream radio, whereas Nirvana gets played on rock stations only.

I'll bet you ask the average Joe who sang those songs they wouldn't know. They are like the male version of the Bangles. Easy to listen to ear candy and easily forgettable. Grammys? They didn't give Led Zeppelin one either until it was embarrassing
I blame Biker.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Stapes wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:25 pm
Deathproof wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:18 pm

I'll bet you ask the average Joe who sang those songs they wouldn't know. They are like the male version of the Bangles. Easy to listen to ear candy and easily forgettable. Grammys? They didn't give Led Zeppelin one either until it was embarrassing
The average Joe is musically illiterate; hence the popularity of Metallica (the real male version of the Bangles).

People who know what good music is know the Gin Blossoms.
Stapes

Post by Stapes »

I think I know what band DeathProof is in. :)
I blame Biker.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Stapes wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:30 pm I think I know what band DeathProof is in. :)
You don't.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Deathproof wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:24 pm
Flumper wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:22 pmdo you realize that Hank Williams died when he was 29 years old? 29 fucking years old. this poor ass school dropout that was raised by his mother. have you ever sat and really read the words that he wrote in some of his songs? "why can't a free your doubtful mind, and melt your cold, cold heart?" No poet has ever written words so simply to make a point. "The silence of a falling star lights up a purple sky. And as I wonder where you are, I'm so lonesome I could cry".

"She had nothing left to say, so she said she loved me. I stood there grateful for the lie." Doug Hopkins was better.
Hank Williams was on an airplane with Little Jimmy Dickens and Minnie Pearl and he told Dickens that he (Dickens) needed a hit song if he was going to be famous. Dickens agreed, so Hank said, "well, let's write you one. do you have any paper?" Minnie Pearl pulled out a pad and gave it to Hank and in 20 minutes Hank had written a song and handed it to Jimmy Dickens and told him to record it and it would be a hit. A week later, Hank called Dickens and told him that he had recorded his song. It was "Hey Good Lookin' "
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Flumper wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:32 pm
Deathproof wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:24 pm
Flumper wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:22 pmdo you realize that Hank Williams died when he was 29 years old? 29 fucking years old. this poor ass school dropout that was raised by his mother. have you ever sat and really read the words that he wrote in some of his songs? "why can't a free your doubtful mind, and melt your cold, cold heart?" No poet has ever written words so simply to make a point. "The silence of a falling star lights up a purple sky. And as I wonder where you are, I'm so lonesome I could cry".

Hank Williams was on an airplane with Little Jimmy Dickens and Minnie Pearl and he told Dickens that he (Dickens) needed a hit song if he was going to be famous. Dickens agreed, so Hank said, "well, let's write you one. do you have any paper?" Minnie Pearl pulled out a pad and gave it to Hank and in 20 minutes Hank had written a song and handed it to Jimmy Dickens and told him to record it and it would be a hit. A week later, Hank called Dickens and told him that he had recorded his song. It was "Hey Good Lookin' "
A week later Williams recorded it himself, jokingly telling Dickens, "That song's too good for you!
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Stapes wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:30 pm I think I know what band DeathProof is in. :)
Which one do ya think?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

megman wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:04 am
Which one do ya think?

Far left, Hard Rock tee. Where’s the betting window?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by JCW »

Anyone else wondering how the fuck outting your band on UJ for 20 people would be "throwing it all away"?

For the record teenage JCW *LOVED* Gin Blossoms. I will still sing "Found Out About You" on full volume, no fucks given.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

I lived in Scottsdale in the early 90's. The Gin Blossoms were big as they were out of Tempe.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

JCW wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 am Anyone else wondering how the fuck outting your band on UJ for 20 people would be "throwing it all away"?

For the record teenage JCW *LOVED* Gin Blossoms. I will still sing "Found Out About You" on full volume, no fucks given.
The name of the band referred to the effect of excessive alcohol drinking on small capillaries (they break) on the nose and nearby face. Apparently based on a picture they saw of W.C. Fields' face.

Ironically, the band's lead guitarist and writer of many of their songs (including that one and "Hey Jealousy") had a bad alcohol problem, was kicked out of the band, and eventually shot himself while undergoing treatment.

P.S. The band (and Marshall Crenshaw) also wrote "Til I Hear It from You," which appeared in the film "Empire Records"
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

JCW wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 am Anyone else wondering how the fuck outting your band on UJ for 20 people would be "throwing it all away"?

I get it, he posts his band name here and it shows up in search results and people find it and read his posts and get upset because they don't like what he posts. He shouldn't post anything that can identify him.

It would be good for membership though.
wut?