Fuckin' hernia's

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Re: Fuckin' hernia's

Post by Blast »

Just talked to a surgeon last week who is opening up a direct pricing orthopedic surgery center. Cash and payment plans only, no insurance. He's basing it off of a clinic in Oklahoma that does the same thing. He quoted me 3 grand for a meniscus repair and, for you chronic masturbaters, he does carpal tunnel surgery for 2500.
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Blast wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 pm Just talked to a surgeon last week who is opening up a direct pricing orthopedic surgery center. Cash and payment plans only, no insurance. He's basing it off of a clinic in Oklahoma that does the same thing. He quoted me 3 grand for a meniscus repair and, for you chronic masturbaters, he does carpal tunnel surgery for 2500.
i wish like hell that every doctor in the US would go to a cash deal and STOP accepting insurance (except medicade or medicare).

I pay cash for my workers if they get a minor injury so it doesn't go against our workers comp modifier. Its fucking unbelievable how much less a doctor will charge if you pay cash vs going through the insurance system. Its like 10% of the cost. You can pay $500 cash for something that might cost $5,000 going through insurance. Plus they will do it in their office instead of in a hospital where you get all those fucking bills coming in.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Flumper wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:44 pm
Blast wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 pm Just talked to a surgeon last week who is opening up a direct pricing orthopedic surgery center. Cash and payment plans only, no insurance. He's basing it off of a clinic in Oklahoma that does the same thing. He quoted me 3 grand for a meniscus repair and, for you chronic masturbaters, he does carpal tunnel surgery for 2500.
i wish like hell that every doctor in the US would go to a cash deal and STOP accepting insurance (except medicade or medicare).

I pay cash for my workers if they get a minor injury so it doesn't go against our workers comp modifier. Its fucking unbelievable how much less a doctor will charge if you pay cash vs going through the insurance system. Its like 10% of the cost. You can pay $500 cash for something that might cost $5,000 going through insurance. Plus they will do it in their office instead of in a hospital where you get all those fucking bills coming in.
I think a lot of doctors would discuss a deal on a cash-only basis, and I've heard many will work out a discount if you negotiate.
spudoc
Most Likely To Have a Neckbeard

Post by spudoc »

Flumper wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:44 pm

That has absolutely been the opposite of my experience. Went to the doctor, offered to pay cash and they offered me the full freight fee scale.
fouts
Forum God

Post by fouts »

kwebber wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:26 pm
fouts wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:40 pm
Flumper wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:16 pm
megman wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:14 pm No, my hernia was confirmed back in Aug. I didn't get to see the surgeon until Dec.

And ya, unless it's strangulated it's not an emergency. It's just suffer and wait your turn.
wow. that seems crazy. but, knock on wood, i have never had a hernia, so i don't know much about it. i thought they were like an immediate problem.
they are normally immediate problem especially if a blood vessel is pinched. All MRI centers I know have results in 24 hrs,no business here would survive giving a reading weeks later----but I guess you get what you pay for.
Yeah, what you get is non emergency cases eventually getting dealt with, everyone getting taken care of, and no one declaring bankruptcy. But hey, profits are more important in your healthcare system, so there's that.
Any business is entitled to 'profits' and those 'profits' buy better equipment and more places to get relief of pain like you have now.Hernia's can be a time bomb. So,before you lecture on the U.S. healthcare system,enjoy your current pain and get inline and wait for your surgeon.Just so you can say later it didn't cost anything or very little.Seems a high price to personally pay. Pain that would drive me to emergency room is an emergency that needs fixing now. I hope you don't wait too long.
kwebber
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by kwebber »

fouts wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:43 pm
megman wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:14 pm No, my hernia was confirmed back in Aug. I didn't get to see the surgeon until Dec.

And ya, unless it's strangulated it's not an emergency. It's just suffer and wait your turn.
wow. that seems crazy. but, knock on wood, i have never had a hernia, so i don't know much about it. i thought they were like an immediate problem.
they are normally immediate problem especially if a blood vessel is pinched. All MRI centers I know have results in 24 hrs,no business here would survive giving a reading weeks later----but I guess you get what you pay for.
Yeah, what you get is non emergency cases eventually getting dealt with, everyone getting taken care of, and no one declaring bankruptcy. But hey, profits are more important in your healthcare system, so there's that.
Any business is entitled to 'profits' and those 'profits' buy better equipment and more places to get relief of pain like you have now.Hernia's can be a time bomb. So,before you lecture on the U.S. healthcare system,enjoy your current pain and get inline and wait for your surgeon.Just so you can say later it didn't cost anything or very little.Seems a high price to personally pay. Pain that would drive me to emergency room is an emergency that needs fixing now. I hope you don't wait too long.
"Any business is entitled to 'profits' ".....and there is the difference between the US American system, and the healthcare systems in the rest of the developed world. In the US "healthcare is a business". In those other countries healthcare is about healthcare. In those other countries you don't need private health insurance. None of those other countries has HMO's. There is no insurance providers denying coverage because of pre-existing conditions. As for going to the emergency room, my example is my girlfriend who tore her acl 2 weeks ago. She went to emergency. She came out of there a few hours later with a splint, and an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon a week later. She's seen the surgeon, gotten a brace to stabalise the knee. Total cost out of her pocket was $0. No co-pays, no other fees due. I'm pretty comfortable with our healthcare system. And I would venture a guess and say that every other developed country that has socialized medicine, that's not "for profit", would say the same thing.
Currently AFK.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

kwebber wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 am

"Any business is entitled to 'profits' ".....and there is the difference between the US American system, and the healthcare systems in the rest of the developed world. In the US "healthcare is a business". In those other countries healthcare is about healthcare. In those other countries you don't need private health insurance. None of those other countries has HMO's. There is no insurance providers denying coverage because of pre-existing conditions. As for going to the emergency room, my example is my girlfriend who tore her acl 2 weeks ago. She went to emergency. She came out of there a few hours later with a splint, and an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon a week later. She's seen the surgeon, gotten a brace to stabalise the knee. Total cost out of her pocket was $0. No co-pays, no other fees due. I'm pretty comfortable with our healthcare system. And I would venture a guess and say that every other developed country that has socialized medicine, that's not "for profit", would say the same thing.
Aren't you fighting a doctor shortage right now?
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Blast wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:54 am

Aren't you fighting a doctor shortage right now?
I know in Ontario we are. Nurses too to some extent.

Back in the early 2000's doctor salaries were capped by OHIP and doctors and nurses were going to the states for the money as medical businesses there were paying pretty good money.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Evvanrenea wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:01 am So how long after the surgery do you then have to wait for rehab to take care of the opioid addiction from all the dilaudid you needed???
Won't be an issue. I don't have a problem with opioids.

Back in 2014 I had a plate and 5 screws put in my hip. They gave me a whack of morphine. Last year I got rid of a bunch that I still had kicking around.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Blast wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 pm He quoted me 3 grand for a meniscus repair and, for you chronic masturbaters, he does carpal tunnel surgery for 2500.
Is that the entire charge for the procedure as a whole start-to-finish, or is that just his surgery fee, not including facility fee(s), supplies, and the always ever-present anesthesiologist? $3.5K seems just..., a bit cheap to be an all-inclusive package.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
Whackov
Christ, get a life already!

Post by Whackov »

I had triple hernia surgery a few years ago. Sliced and not scoped. Start going body weight squats while you wait. If they are cutting you vs scoping, you quickly learn that things like getting up off the toilet, etc uses more muscles than you ever realized.
Whackov
Christ, get a life already!

Post by Whackov »

No co-pays, no fees and apparently no surgery yet to repair the ACL.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Whackov wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:02 pm I had triple hernia surgery a few years ago. Sliced and not scoped. Start going body weight squats while you wait. If they are cutting you vs scoping, you quickly learn that things like getting up off the toilet, etc uses more muscles than you ever realized.
The worst is the first pee afterwards. I guess they hook you up to an IV during surgery, 'cause my bladder was full.

Then they said "you have to urinate."

I said "no, it's gonna hurt too much"!

They said "well, then we'll have to use a catheter."

Fuck no. I'm sure I made some noises during it, though.

P.S. Walked like an 80 year old man for at least a week afterwards! ;)
Last edited by FSchmertz on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Whackov wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:02 pm I had triple hernia surgery a few years ago. Sliced and not scoped. Start going body weight squats while you wait. If they are cutting you vs scoping, you quickly learn that things like getting up off the toilet, etc uses more muscles than you ever realized.
He's going to do it Laparoscopy but there may be issues.

To do it this way they pump you up with CO2. This pushes on the diaphragm. Now I have bad lungs and they may not like this. If that is the case then they will stop and then go old school, which doubles my risk of infection and the recovery time goes from 6 weeks to 8-10.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

QillerDaemon wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:57 pm
Blast wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 pm He quoted me 3 grand for a meniscus repair and, for you chronic masturbaters, he does carpal tunnel surgery for 2500.
Is that the entire charge for the procedure as a whole start-to-finish, or is that just his surgery fee, not including facility fee(s), supplies, and the always ever-present anesthesiologist? $3.5K seems just..., a bit cheap to be an all-inclusive package.
All inclusive
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Evvanrenea wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:01 am So how long after the surgery do you then have to wait for rehab to take care of the opioid addiction from all the dilaudid you needed???
honestly, that is really an excellent point. And something that should be studied more. Because I doubt there are many people that fall into the "opioids aren't a problem for me" category.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Flumper wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 pm
honestly, that is really an excellent point. And something that should be studied more. Because I doubt there are many people that fall into the "opioids aren't a problem for me" category.
There are lots and fortunately I'm not one of them.

I suck at pain management. I will only take a pill when I absolutely have to. So I'm constantly on a pain roller coaster instead of an even keel.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Evvanrenea wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:59 pm
Yeah it’s a pretty dangerous game.
Yeah, and if that's part of the solution to "affordable" health care, then it needs to be studied. Controlling pain over an extended period of time so that you can perform a necessary surgery when its cost effective, might not be all its cracked up to be in the long term.
fouts
Forum God

Post by fouts »

of course you comfortable with your healthcare system-you don't have any other recourse. Socialized medicine is why you are waiting looking at those pain pills wondering when you take the next one. so enjoy while you wait. US healthcare is a business and has been for decades-so what. I work in the medical field,I've seem a fair share of Canadians,Colombians and most from Caribbean (French-British) islands flying here for a CAT scan or MRI because they were too sick to wait weeks-months for a diagnosis. Socialized medicine is popular-sure it is,does it have the most talented medical staff in the world-nope.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

fouts wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:47 pm

of course you comfortable with your healthcare system-you don't have any other recourse. Socialized medicine is why you are waiting looking at those pain pills wondering when you take the next one. so enjoy while you wait. US healthcare is a business and has been for decades-so what. I work in the medical field,I've seem a fair share of Canadians,Colombians and most from Caribbean (French-British) islands flying here for a CAT scan or MRI because they were too sick to wait weeks-months for a diagnosis. Socialized medicine is popular-sure it is,does it have the most talented medical staff in the world-nope.
For those who can afford it. And there's less and less who can.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Flumper wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:30 pm
Evvanrenea wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:59 pm
Yeah it’s a pretty dangerous game.
Yeah, and if that's part of the solution to "affordable" health care, then it needs to be studied. Controlling pain over an extended period of time so that you can perform a necessary surgery when its cost effective, might not be all its cracked up to be in the long term.
It's not a matter of when it's cost effective. It's a matter of being able to book operating room time and surgeons to do it.
fouts
Forum God

Post by fouts »

Honestly,I don't know how some families I know with 2-3-4 kids manage the cost of them growing up plus medical things that happen over those years. But they seem to manage. Socialized medicine works for some people that have it -so good for them. In the same breathe they say it's better than the U.S. system because some hospitals make money on their services is a hollow and shrieking argument.
Chiefs 34
Niners 38
kwebber
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by kwebber »

Whackov wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:08 pm

No co-pays, no fees and apparently no surgery yet to repair the ACL.
I was incorrect in calling it a torn acl, it was an acl avulsion fracture. As it turns out she just needs to keep it immobilized until the bone heals. So she's got a heavy duty brace on, and has a follow up with the orthopedic surgeon next week to see how it's going. If it's healing well they will adjust her brace to allow joint movement. No extra fees involved. No money oot of her pocket.
Currently AFK.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

megman wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:48 pm It's not a matter of when it's cost effective. It's a matter of being able to book operating room time and surgeons to do it.
which is just another way of saying that its done when its cost effective. when you keep demand greater than supply, and you control the supply, then that's the most efficient way to produce the supply.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Flumper wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:16 pm
megman wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:48 pm It's not a matter of when it's cost effective. It's a matter of being able to book operating room time and surgeons to do it.
which is just another way of saying that its done when its cost effective. when you keep demand greater than supply, and you control the supply, then that's the most efficient way to produce the supply.
We don't have people up here building hospitals as needed for profit. They are built mostly with funding from the government.