Can a UJR brother get some cord cutting advice

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

WestTexasCrude

Can a UJR brother get some cord cutting advice

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Cancelling Dish next week. Don't really want to do the DirectTv 2 year cost slave thing again. Started my 7 day free trial today with YouTube TV so I can can watch the Super Bowl. Looks good. Might as well just go and cut the cord permanently. I have AT&T U-Verse. My only connection between my TV and WiFi ( that I haven't used in years) is an ancient PS3 that is glacial in performance. I'll ask later about different providers of content (Like YouTube TV). Could you offer suggestions on what I devices I need to make this happen. I'm totally in the dark about this. Thanks
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Re: Can a UJR brother get some cord cutting advice

Post by AnalHamster »

I pay for netflix and amazon, get all domestic tv for free subject to adverts, and anything else I want I just steal, currently through www8.putlockers.fm though you do have to keep changing up on that front. Sooner or later the content providers will wise up and stop trying to make me buy a bunch of shit I don't want to get the few shows I do. Netflix and Amazon have enough content and reasonable enough rates that it's not worth my time to steal shit from them, which is why they are dominating the market.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Let me guess... you don't have a smart TV.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

AnalHamster wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:55 pm I pay for netflix and amazon, get all domestic tv for free subject to adverts, and anything else I want I just steal, currently through www8.putlockers.fm though you do have to keep changing up on that front. Sooner or later the content providers will wise up and stop trying to make me buy a bunch of shit I don't want to get the few shows I do. Netflix and Amazon have enough content and reasonable enough rates that it's not worth my time to steal shit from them, which is why they are dominating the market.
My specific question is matching my Wifi to my TV. I'll deal with content providers later.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:00 pm Let me guess... you don't have a smart TV.
I have a flip phone. What do you think? It's a 4 year old Samsung. Not part of this equation.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:04 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:00 pm Let me guess... you don't have a smart TV.
I have a flip phone. What do you think? It's a 4 year old Samsung. Not part of this equation.
You want to match your Wi-Fi to your TV but your TV isn't part of the equation? Got it.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:01 pm
AnalHamster wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:55 pm I pay for netflix and amazon, get all domestic tv for free subject to adverts, and anything else I want I just steal, currently through www8.putlockers.fm though you do have to keep changing up on that front. Sooner or later the content providers will wise up and stop trying to make me buy a bunch of shit I don't want to get the few shows I do. Netflix and Amazon have enough content and reasonable enough rates that it's not worth my time to steal shit from them, which is why they are dominating the market.
My specific question is matching my Wifi to my TV. I'll deal with content providers later.
Forget the tv grandpa, you get content on your laptop. Connect it to the tv with an hdmi cable.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

I have a non-smart LCD TV hooked up to a Roku streaming device (the Ultra version is on sale on Amazon until 2/1, so if you want one, buy it now!).

Currently have Amazon Prime and Sling, but there's many other options like Hulu etc.

The key is to get a streaming device, unless one is already included with your TV. I'd get the Roku Ultra if I was buying now.

P.S. I like streaming directly via cable wire, not Wifi. If you're wedded to doing it via wifi, then I'd recommend the Roku streaming stick (cheaper than Ultra) or Amazon Firestick.
Last edited by FSchmertz on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

AnalHamster wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:15 pm
Forget the tv grandpa, you get content on your laptop. Connect it to the tv with an hdmi cable.
laptop? lol

I don't think TRS-80's use hdmi cables.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Flumper wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:17 pm
laptop? lol

Ah yes, the TSR80 Model T. Had one. :lol:
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

megman wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:20 pm
laptop? lol

Before your Commodore 64?
nerd_alert
Knows the name of every naked chick

Post by nerd_alert »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:49 pm Cancelling Dish next week. Don't really want to do the DirectTv 2 year cost slave thing again. Started my 7 day free trial today with YouTube TV so I can can watch the Super Bowl. Looks good. Might as well just go and cut the cord permanently. I have AT&T U-Verse. My only connection between my TV and WiFi ( that I haven't used in years) is an ancient PS3 that is glacial in performance. I'll ask later about different providers of content (Like YouTube TV). Could you offer suggestions on what I devices I need to make this happen. I'm totally in the dark about this. Thanks
You probably want either a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. You can get a free Fire stick if you sign up for SlingTv for 2 months.

Lots of good info here:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

megman wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:20 pm
laptop? lol

Could get good bucks for one that still worked, I bet.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Tits for your time Image
Last edited by WestTexasCrude on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Smok44 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:25 pm Hook this up to your TV then flip it up to Game

Used that to play pong :oldtimer:
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:16 pm I have a non-smart LCD TV hooked up to a Roku streaming device (the Ultra version is on sale on Amazon until 2/1, so if you want one, buy it now!).

Currently have Amazon Prime and Sling, but there's many other options like Hulu etc.

The key is to get a streaming device, unless one is already included with your TV. I'd get the Roku Ultra if I was buying now.

P.S. I like streaming directly via cable wire, not Wifi. If you're wedded to doing it via wifi, then I'd recommend the Roku streaming stick (cheaper than Ultra) or Amazon Firestick.
Thank you very much. Researching right now between Roku Ultra vs Amazon Firestick
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:51 pm
FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:16 pm I have a non-smart LCD TV hooked up to a Roku streaming device (the Ultra version is on sale on Amazon until 2/1, so if you want one, buy it now!).

Thank you very much. Researching right now between Roku Ultra vs Amazon Firestick
Of course, the Ultra also streams, but it also allows you to wire directly to cable if you want.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

nerd_alert wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:22 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:49 pm Cancelling Dish next week. Don't really want to do the DirectTv 2 year cost slave thing again. Started my 7 day free trial today with YouTube TV so I can can watch the Super Bowl. Looks good. Might as well just go and cut the cord permanently. I have AT&T U-Verse. My only connection between my TV and WiFi ( that I haven't used in years) is an ancient PS3 that is glacial in performance. I'll ask later about different providers of content (Like YouTube TV). Could you offer suggestions on what I devices I need to make this happen. I'm totally in the dark about this. Thanks
You probably want either a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. You can get a free Fire stick if you sign up for SlingTv for 2 months.

Lots of good info here:

Thank you very much. After just basic research and checking out the specs between the 2 (both very similar), I'm thinking Roku is the way to go. Firestick seems more advanced, but it has features like voice control, which I could care less about. Anyone see a problem with something I'm missing between the 2. Also, I need to focus on the the distinction between Roku Ultra and Rocku stick. I'm not sure what each does separately. Again, I appreciate everybody's help.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:12 pm

Lots of good info here:

Thank you very much. After just basic research and checking out the specs between the 2 (both very similar), I'm thinking Roku is the way to go. Firestick seems more advanced, but it has features like voice control, which I could care less about. Anyone see a problem with something I'm missing between the 2. Also, I need to focus on the the distinction between Roku Ultra and Rocku stick. I'm not sure what each does separately. Again, I appreciate everybody's help.
Both Ultra and the latest Firestick have voice control if you want it. Ultra has headphones for private listening. Roku streaming stick is strictly wifi and no voice control or headphones.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:09 pm

Of course, the Ultra also streams, but it also allows you to wire directly to cable if you want.
That a non factor since I'm cutting off my Dish service which will be a dead line.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:22 pm
FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:09 pm

That a non factor since I'm cutting off my Dish service which will be a dead line.
So where are you getting internet service from?

Presumably you were getting TV via Dish satellite. Do you get internet the same way?

Phone service, for instance, usually has streaming limits.
Last edited by FSchmertz on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

At the QD shack, we have a Prime account, along with Netflix and Hulu. More than half the time, the Firestick is used to steam NF and Hulu, but we do watch the occasional movie or the Pluto TV thing in Prime that's a bunch of weird channels. I sometimes spend hours at a time watching Dr Who TV on Pluto. :geek:

But we also have DirectTV. For a complete AT&T bundle (TV, phone, cell phones, copper pair, static IP, etc) we were paying $320 a month. Since we really don't watch DTV much at all, I finally convinced the wife to call and re-do our account to rid ourselves of at least DTV. After much bitching and complaining and vague threats over the phone (all things my wife is very skilled at... ;)), a couple of months ago she got the entire AT&T account re-arranged, and now it's about $200 a month. And now we get 300 channels on DTV that we'll never watch over the 200 channels we never watched in the previous contract. It's supposed to stay set for at least two years, and then we'll likely do it all over again. Or finally ditch DTV, who knows...
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:34 pm At the QD shack, we have a Prime account, along with Netflix and Hulu. More than half the time, the Firestick is used to steam NF and Hulu, but we do watch the occasional movie or the Pluto TV thing in Prime that's a bunch of weird channels. I sometimes spend hours at a time watching Dr Who TV on Pluto. :geek:

But we also have DirectTV. For a complete AT&T bundle (TV, phone, cell phones, copper pair, static IP, etc) we were paying $320 a month. Since we really don't watch DTV much at all, I finally convinced the wife to call and re-do our account to rid ourselves of at least DTV. After much bitching and complaining and vague threats over the phone (all things my wife is very skilled at... ;)), a couple of months ago she got the entire AT&T account re-arranged, and now it's about $200 a month. And now we get 300 channels on DTV that we'll never watch over the 200 channels we never watched in the previous contract. It's supposed to stay set for at least two years, and then we'll likely do it all over again. Or finally ditch DTV, who knows...
So were you getting DTV over internet on AT&T cable, or hybrid satellite-receiver/AT&T cable?
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:14 pm

Lots of good info here:

Both Ultra and the latest Firestick have voice control if you want it. Ultra has headphones for private listening. Roku streaming stick is strictly wifi and no voice control or headphones.
Thanks, sounds good to me. I don't need headphones or voice control. Just maybe a final question. Roku stick through AT&T U-verse. How is the HD quality of the picture/ sound compared to Dish HD? Any drop off in quality? I think my internet speed is around 18 mps.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:38 pm
FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:14 pm

Lots of good info here:

Thanks, sounds good to me. I don't need headphones or voice control. Just maybe a final question. Roku stick through AT&T U-verse. How is the HD quality of the picture/ sound compared to Dish HD? Any drop off in quality? I think my internet speed is around 18 mps.
Satellite is really compressed usually (I had DirectTV). On the other hand, 18 mps is barely enough if you want 4K, good for 1080 (4 year old Samsung is probably a 1080 machine though).

The best TV is over the air, all the rest have some compression.