The one exact date down to the minute

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

WestTexasCrude

Re: The one exact date down to the minute

Post by WestTexasCrude »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:28 am
captquint wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:57 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:53 pm
Stapes wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:30 pm They gave us syphilis.....so they got that going for them
Believe it or not, that's still debated. What's not debated is why the European germs were so deadly. It's kind of the fault of the ancestors of the people of the New World. And I say Kind of.
It's not debated because it is fact that that the natives had no immunity to European diseases. Same way it's illegal to visit the uncontacted tribe on North Sentinel Island because a modern person could infect them all
And there was (is) a reason for that goes back 10,000 years and why I mention the ancestors of the New World were partially responsible, not that they knew what they were doing anymore than the Europeans knew what was happening when they introduced the holocaust on the New World. They didn't deliberately do that. No one knew the cause until the late 1800's with Pasteur and viruses and germs etc.
Nero
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by Nero »

Sorry, but Columbus didn't discover shit. He may have claimed parts of the Caribbean for Spain, but it was found long before that.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Nero wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 am Sorry, but Columbus didn't discover shit. He may have claimed parts of the Caribbean for Spain, but it was found long before that.
That's not my point. Nobody will ever say that when the Portuguese landed on the Indian coast in 1498, that it changed the course of human history. Columbus landing in the Bahamas in 1492 is a total different story. Earth shaking to this day. Go to your local grocery store right now, and check out all the fruits and vegetables available for purchase. 99 % weren't available 500 years ago in your area. It's called the "Columbian Exchange" Millions upon Millions of people moved across the globe on ships.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

I see nobody is getting my point. This exact time is the whole crucible of human history from arising as a human species in Africa 2 million years ago to the present. This wasn't just someone crashing into a New World by accident. It effects are felt by every human being on Earth every single day. 2 million years of development and 1 day changes everything. Extraordinary.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:32 pm 2 million years of development and 1 day changes everything.
There have been many many of those "1 days". Just sayin'.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

I personally don’t give a shit who founded what, as long as I get a day off of work because of it.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

June 28th 1914 11:15am The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand led to easily 100 million deaths.
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:32 pm 2 million years of development and 1 day changes everything.
Nope. Not even close. That one day affects you RD every single day of your life. You just don't know.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

If columbus hadn't landed that day someone else would have landed within a few years. It wasn't really that big of an event, because many people could have done it. Big unique world changing events are the things that take a unique mind, things that would not have happened without that one person and would continue to have not have happened for an indefinite time. Rediscovering america was not one of those things.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:25 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 pm
Nope. Not even close. That one day affects you RD every single day of your life. You just don't know.
Johannes Gutenberg: "Hey guys, look what I made!"
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

captquint wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 pm June 28th 1914 11:15am The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand led to easily 100 million deaths.
More like 25 million and was over after 4 years, not 520 and counting. Blip. I'll wait for someone to ask me to explain. I'll give a hint. It started with the breakup of the Pangaean Continent 330 million years ago,
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

analhamster wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 pm If columbus hadn't landed that day someone else would have landed within a few years. It wasn't really that big of an event, because many people could have done it. Big unique world changing events are the things that take a unique mind, things that would not have happened without that one person and would continue to have not have happened for an indefinite time. Rediscovering america was not one of those things.
would Jack Kilby's invention of the integrated circuit in 1958 have been an example? or were dozens of other people working on the same concept at the time?
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

analhamster wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 pm If columbus hadn't landed that day someone else would have landed within a few years. It wasn't really that big of an event, because many people could have done it. Big unique world changing events are the things that take a unique mind, things that would not have happened without that one person and would continue to have not have happened for an indefinite time. Rediscovering america was not one of those things.
Doesn't matter speculating "someone else" didn't do it.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:33 pm
captquint wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 pm June 28th 1914 11:15am The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand led to easily 100 million deaths.
More like 25 million and was over after 4 years, not 520 and counting. Blip. I'll wait for someone to ask me to explain. I'll give a hint. It started with the breakup of the Pangaean Continent 330 million years ago,
I'm including WWII, no WWI no WWII
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

How about the evening of the morning of the 6th day after God created the heavens and the earth and blah blah blah and man in his own image? That seems like it would make the list.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Flumper wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:34 pm
would Jack Kilby's invention of the integrated circuit in 1958 have been an example? or were dozens of other people working on the same concept at the time?
Not really, he co-invented it and built on the work of hundreds who came before. It's mostly the theoretical physicists who make the basic breakthroughs, then there's an inevitable wave of experimental physicists who explore the new knowledge and engineers who hone the practical applications.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

In a really weird twist of logic ... that was probably a good thing overall for the human race.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 pm
Well not if you're a moron, no. If you are capable of thinking and understanding though, it's kind of a no brainer. The relevant technology was the ships and navigation that every european power had by that point so your argument really boils down to the idea that a delay of a few years would have completely changed the world.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

if the spanish hadn't been the first to spread their language and beliefs then I highly doubt that Notre Dame would have been in the College football playoffs this year.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

It was really more about the balance of power in Europe. The first dibs principle was always subject to the latest peace treaty.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Pangaea finally broke up the Continents 175 Million ago. From that day forward, for millions of years all the continents wildlife and plants evolved separately. Due to the new found expertise on sailing the oceans, that day closed the Pangaea gap. Totally shuffling of 10's of millions of people worldwide was just a sideshow.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Flumper wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:56 pm if the spanish hadn't been the first to spread their language and beliefs then I highly doubt that Notre Dame would have been in the College football playoffs this year.
:lol: :lol: Damn, papist
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

analhamster wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:52 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 pm
Well not if you're a moron, no. If you are capable of thinking and understanding though, it's kind of a no brainer. The relevant technology was the ships and navigation that every european power had by that point so your argument really boils down to the idea that a delay of a few years would have completely changed the world.
Good lord AH. If you actually believe all of Europe had this ocean tech in the 1490's, you are either naive or an idiot. Probably both. Vast majority of every body else was doing the slave oared galleys from Roman times.And did for another 300 years-ie Battle of Lapanto.
Last edited by WestTexasCrude on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 am Pangaea finally broke up the Continents 175 Million ago. From that day forward, for millions of years all the continents wildlife and plants evolved separately. Due to the new found expertise on sailing the oceans, that day closed the Pangaea gap. Totally shuffling of 10's of millions of people worldwide was just a sideshow.
Did you go to High School?
Asking for a friend.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

[/quote]

[/quote]
WestTexasCrude wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 am Pangaea finally broke up the Continents 175 Million ago. From that day forward, for millions of years all the continents wildlife and plants evolved separately. Due to the new found expertise on sailing the oceans, that day closed the Pangaea gap. Totally shuffling of 10's of millions of people worldwide was just a sideshow.
So which was it? Could you be more specific?
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK