What is the oldest family photo you have?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Re: What is the oldest family photo you have?

Post by CaptQuint »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:53 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:50 pm Probably 1899 or 1900 My Great Grandfather shortly before he left for Africa to fight in The Second Boer War.

It's kinda hard to tell with that photo and I'm kinda hazy on English regimental history, but that looks like the Scottish Highlander uniform. He looks to be wearing a kilt.
You are correct
Any clue what's the significance behind that white thing at the belt with the 3 downword prongs?
It's a purse :lol:
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

CaptQuint wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:40 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:50 pm Probably 1899 or 1900 My Great Grandfather shortly before he left for Africa to fight in The Second Boer War.

It's kinda hard to tell with that photo and I'm kinda hazy on English regimental history, but that looks like the Scottish Highlander uniform. He looks to be wearing a kilt.
You are correct
Any clue what's the significance behind that white thing at the belt with the 3 downword prongs?
It's a purse :lol: Kilts don't have pockets!
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

You are correct
Well, since it's a uniform, wouldn't a place to store your bullets be more realistic.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

mother fucker, it is a purse.

A Sporran is a pouch (Scottish Gaelic for ‘purse’). Now a decorative part of Highland dress, it was originally an everyday practical item. Made of leather or fur, it usually has more or less elaborate silver or other ornamentation, especially on the clasp or hanger. It is worn on a chain or belt around the waist, allowing the sporran to lie below the waist of the person wearing a kilt.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Flumper wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 pm Image

A Sporran is a pouch (Scottish Gaelic for ‘purse’). Now a decorative part of Highland dress, it was originally an everyday practical item. Made of leather or fur, it usually has more or less elaborate silver or other ornamentation, especially on the clasp or hanger. It is worn on a chain or belt around the waist, allowing the sporran to lie below the waist of the person wearing a kilt.
Interesting. Maybe made of fur from a particular animal killed in the young man's first hunt? Or something like that?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 pm

Interesting. Maybe made of fur from a particular animal killed in the young man's first hunt? Or something like that?
he's wearing skirt for christ's sake. i doubt he needs some manly story to explain how he got a purse.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Flumper wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:07 pm

he's wearing skirt for christ's sake. i doubt he needs some manly story to explain how he got a purse.
Figures it would be a CQ relative.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:11 pm

Really dude?
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

CaptQuint wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:11 pm

Really dude?
:lol: :lol: Skirts and purses. Beat the modern "gay in the military" by a century.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Bump for continued interest.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:24 pm Bump for continued interest.
Well it was abandoned after you stopped taking it seriously
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

CaptQuint wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:32 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:24 pm Bump for continued interest.
Well it was abandoned after you stopped taking it seriously
Makes sense. Seen one WWI Scottish Highlander uniform seen them all. Boring.Half had bullet holes through the purses. Who cares.
JackRabbit_Slim
Have Sister, Will Bang

Post by JackRabbit_Slim »

beagleboy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:26 pm My oldest is my great grandmother when she was 17 so it would be 1900. This is she and her siblings- no clue how they appear to have money since their grandparents were immigrants and their parents owned a small farm. She's middle row left. They likely spoke mostly German at this point and their English was almost certainly very rough. The town didn't turn to speaking English until 1941.

Very very cool.
"you have a fine boy there..." CaptGotti
kwebber
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by kwebber »

My Mom has a picture of my Grandfather when he was 12, with his siblings, and his Dad, taken on a ship in 1924 when they were immigrating from England to Canada.
Currently AFK.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 pm

You are correct
Well, since it's a uniform, wouldn't a place to store your bullets be more realistic.
How many Scots do you think had guns back in the day?
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

megman wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:52 pm
You are correct
I guess I don't understand the question. I would say everybody for protection. Probably hard to conceal with the kilts and all.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:03 am
megman wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:52 pm

You are correct
I guess I don't understand the question. I would say everybody for protection. Probably hard to conceal with the kilts and all.
The correct answer is zero. Thanks for playing.