Deathproof band ratings

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

pork
Grouchy old fart.

Re: Deathproof band ratings

Post by pork »

LIT
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

Breaking Benjamin

Live
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

disco.moon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:15 pm
HighNDry wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:17 pm Has Gunzen been mentioned yet?

I think it's pretty good for 3 mo time - better than I could manage lol.
Oh, same here. I don't know how anyone can play guitar.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

pork wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:46 amLIT
Lit is fucking cool, but holy shit, I wouldn't want to join that band. They're cursed or something!
They've got a really good pop-punk sound tinged with some rockabilly, and a cool retro aesthetic. The singer, whose name I can't recall, has really good, solid delivery. The guitar player does some cool stuff with controlled feedback and plays like a buzzsaw. But where they really shine is in songwriting. They come up with hooks the size of battleships, even in the verses, where most bands don't even bother.The choruses explode; a catchy line is effortless for these guys. And their lyrics are witty and clever. I dont know anything about the individual members, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a guy in there who majored in English.
5 out of 5.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

good charlotte
DiverTexas
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by DiverTexas »

Vallejo
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

puddle of mudd

ugly kid joe

mr big
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

warrant
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

great white
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

HighNDry wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:17 am
disco.moon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:15 pm
HighNDry wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:17 pm Has Gunzen been mentioned yet?

I think it's pretty good for 3 mo time - better than I could manage lol.
Oh, same here. I don't know how anyone can play guitar.
Beethoven has been attributed with the quote "the guitar is a miniature orchestra all to itself." To me, it's the most human instrument, both far-reaching and yet so limited, but what you do with it is all up to you and your dreams. It's both a very easy instrument to learn, yet very few players have ever completely scaled its heights. You can name its best players, and yet none of them have explored the guitar completely, because that's almost impossible with all the ways it can be played. It's both a simple and a complex instrument.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

obviously Beethoven hasn't heard this retard play.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Beethoven moonlight sonata #3 on guitar........when you can play that you have passed the class.
I blame Biker.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Stapes wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:47 pm Beethoven moonlight sonata #3 on guitar........when you can play that you have passed the class.
Obviously the guitar can't play all those same notes as on the piano, even with an extended string instrument, but check on YT and you'll find some very admirable attempts. How about Bohemian Rhapsody on classical guitar?:

If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

i prefer gunzens solo better
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

everlast
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

QillerDaemon wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:04 pm
Stapes wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:47 pm Beethoven moonlight sonata #3 on guitar........when you can play that you have passed the class.
Obviously the guitar can't play all those same notes as on the piano, even with an extended string instrument, but check on YT and you'll find some very admirable attempts. How about Bohemian Rhapsody on classical guitar?:

Beethoven would have been a rock star

I blame Biker.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

afroman
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Blast wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:07 am Breaking Benjamin

Live
Breaking Benjamin are the Pat Benetar/Billy Squier of nu metal. The bare minimum, no frills, standard of the genre. Neither good nor bad, just the stereotype of what the genre is. Nothing about them stands out to me, either positive or negative. The fact that I know what they sound like but can't remember a single song by them shows how unremarkable they are. 1.5 out of 5.

I can only talk about Live in context of their work with Ed Kowalcyk (or however his name is spelled), because I haven't heard anything they've done since he quit/was fired.
They sounded good, though. Their guitar sound was jangly and strong. Ed's vocals were... unique. Their lyrical content was bizarre and often unintelligible; I'm sure it was some very meaningful, spiritual shit to Ed, but I almost never knew what he was talking about. "Selling the Drama" was a phenomenal song, as was "Shit Towne" and "The Tyranny of Tradition". I don't ever need to hear "Lightning Crashes" again, though; so overplayed and tired. 3.75 out of 5.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

pork wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:10 pmgood charlotte
Talk about a one-trick pony! Good Charlotte had one good, no, great album, The Young and the Hopeless. Tons of great songs on that album, including "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous", "The Anthem", and "The Story of My Old Man". Catchy as fuck, punk-y and pop at the same time, just a classic.
And then... I don't know what the fuck happened. They forgot how to write good songs, apparently. Goddamn, did they get boring. It's like they spent everything they had inside on the one album and just had nothing left, which is a bummer because songwriting was their only real strength to begin with. Nobody in that band is a remarkable talent in any way. The singers are mediocre at best, the drummer is nondescript, and the guitarists sound like they learned how to play that week. 1.25 out of 5.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

DiverTexas wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:25 pmVallejo
I don't know what that is.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Ramones
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Damn Yankees

Styx
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

pork wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:04 pm puddle of mudd
There was a time I thought Puddle of Mudd were pretty cool, and I actually thought they were destined for greatness. Holy fuck, did I miss the mark on that one. Whatever happened to them? I heard Wes Scanlon, the lead singer, was... I don't know, in legal trouble, or losing his mind or something? I hear he's a real asshole.
So, they had that first album, Come Clean, that was great. The next one, the name of which I've forgotten, was really good too. And then they had that cover album that was a lot of fun. Have they done anything since? I don't know, I'm out of the loop.
Scanlon has a really strong voice, raspy when it needs to be, clean when it needs to be. The guitarists, whose names I don't know, have better technique than most nu metal guys. Good players. The bassist, I'm not sure how good he is because his parts are pretty drowned out. They sound good, but I'm not sure if they're even still active. 3.75 out of 5.
pork wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:04 pmugly kid joe
One of the forgotten kings of metal. I fucking love Ugly Kid Joe! They played energetic, sunbleached hard rock with a strong vein of juvenility running through it. Big hooks, great guitar sound, Whitfield crane has really good slapstick-metal voice. "Everything About You" was a classic. 4.5 out of 5.
pork wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:04 pmmr big
Mr. Big was a supergroup without really being a supergroup. Everybody in that band was a major talent on their instrument. Billy Sheehan is a top-notch bass player, with a talent for innovation. He always came up with new, unique techniques. Pat Torpey, who I believe died not too long ago, was a fantastic drummer with a jazz-tinged feel. Eric Martin is a singer with a sweet, clear, soaring voice, and Paul Gilbert is a sadly overlooked guitar hero. The strength of Mr. Big was in their instrumental work, but they also hit big with high, high harmonies. They knew where to put a hook and how to push it as far as it could go. The big standout for me wasn't "To Be With You", which is good song, though grossly overplayed, but rather "Green-Tinted Sixties Mind". The melody on that song is one I'm jealous of; I wish I had come up with it. 4.5 out of 5.
DiverTexas
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by DiverTexas »

Deathproof wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:57 am
DiverTexas wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:25 pmVallejo
I don't know what that is.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vallejo_(band)
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

Deathproof wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:18 am
pork wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:04 pm puddle of mudd
There was a time I thought Puddle of Mudd were pretty cool, and I actually thought they were destined for greatness. Holy fuck, did I miss the mark on that one. Whatever happened to them? I heard Wes Scanlon, the lead singer, was... I don't know, in legal trouble, or losing his mind or something? I hear he's a real asshole.
So, they had that first album, Come Clean, that was great. The next one, the name of which I've forgotten, was really good too. And then they had that cover album that was a lot of fun. Have they done anything since? I don't know, I'm out of the loop.
Scanlon has a really strong voice, raspy when it needs to be, clean when it needs to be. The guitarists, whose names I don't know, have better technique than most nu metal guys. Good players. The bassist, I'm not sure how good he is because his parts are pretty drowned out. They sound good, but I'm not sure if they're even still active. 3.75 out of 5.
pork wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:04 pmugly kid joe
One of the forgotten kings of metal. I fucking love Ugly Kid Joe! They played energetic, sunbleached hard rock with a strong vein of juvenility running through it. Big hooks, great guitar sound, Whitfield crane has really good slapstick-metal voice. "Everything About You" was a classic. 4.5 out of 5.
pork wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:04 pmmr big
Mr. Big was a supergroup without really being a supergroup. Everybody in that band was a major talent on their instrument. Billy Sheehan is a top-notch bass player, with a talent for innovation. He always came up with new, unique techniques. Pat Torpey, who I believe died not too long ago, was a fantastic drummer with a jazz-tinged feel. Eric Martin is a singer with a sweet, clear, soaring voice, and Paul Gilbert is a sadly overlooked guitar hero. The strength of Mr. Big was in their instrumental work, but they also hit big with high, high harmonies. They knew where to put a hook and how to push it as far as it could go. The big standout for me wasn't "To Be With You", which is good song, though grossly overplayed, but rather "Green-Tinted Sixties Mind". The melody on that song is one I'm jealous of; I wish I had come up with it. 4.5 out of 5.
wtf was this: