Deathproof band ratings

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

pork
Grouchy old fart.

Re: Deathproof band ratings

Post by pork »

scorpions
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:21 pm Jack White/White Stripes/Raconteurs
Jack White is at his best when he is part of a group. Even the stuff he recorded with Loretta Lynn was awesome. But I dont care for his solo stuff. Its like he needs a partner, or several, to rein in some of his worst impulses.
The White Stripes were great. They were getting better with each album, which is why I cant understand his decision to end the band. They had a unique,, low-fi sound that stood out. Meg was a shitty drummer, but that worked for the context. Jack's voice was equally shitty, but it fit. A better voice would've been out of place. And obviously he is a good songwriter, so they were able to come up with catchy songs full of odd rhythms and beats. Great stuff. 4.5 out of 5.
The Raconteurs were a step up. "Steady as She Goes" set a patter for them of stomping, sinister-sounding rock songs. I honestly can't remember who else was in that band, but they all seemed talented with their instruments. Way more developed and practiced than the White Stripes, and subsequently came up with better songs. 4.75 out of 5.
Jack White solo, though... snorefest. He isn't musician enough to go it alone. Likely there were session musicians helping him out, but session musicians are there to do what they're told, not to contribute creatively. So every misstep is Jack's, and only he is to blame. It's dull, uninspired, somatic music. Even Jack sounds bored playing it. I dont doubt he misses the White Stripes. 1 out of 5.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:25 pm
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:54 pm Deathloser, the scumbag Cheaptrick lover, doesn't know shit about good music. Fuck, if I took a guitar and a pipe wrench I would make better music than that pussy asshat ever dreamed of. Who the fuck asks this dickwad what music he likes as if it matters, oh, Biker, the other major moron here. It figures. :lol:
Wherever you were? Please go back there.
:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:
$150K!!!!!
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Burn1dwn wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 pm
Stapes wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:36 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:21 pm Jack White/White Stripes/Raconteurs
Good pick
DP will probably give him an extra .5 for fucking his own sister.
His ex-wife, you mean?

Meg wasn't his sister. She was his ex-wife.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

porky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:47 amscorpions
Already covered, very early in the thread.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Bon Jovi
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Shocking Blue

Jefferson Airplane

The Monkees
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

Deathproof wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:55 am
eat a bag of dicks. i didn t go back 30 pages.

how about warren hayes
derreck trucks
an one of my all time favorites: sublime

eat more dicks if they were mentioned. its early here.
Last edited by pork on Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:52 pm Shocking Blue

Jefferson Airplane

The Monkees
My only knowledge of Shocking Blue is that both Nirvana and Bananarama covered their songs. I have never heard the originals. But the songs I heard were decent enough; obviously everything Kurt Cobain ever had a hand in was a masterpiece, so i can say Shocking Blue contributed to the canon. But having never heard them, I cant rate them.

Jefferson Airplane... you know, one of my regrets as a music fan is that I never saw anything in them. I wanted to. I recognize their importance and influence on rock music, their appearance at Woodstock, etc... but when I listen to them, my mind wanders. They're just not interesting-sounding to me.
BUT! To their credit, they eventually became Starship, and while I understand that this is going to garner some jeers, I like Starship a lot. Yes, they were cheesy. Yes, they were corny. Yes, they were artificial, manufactured, and corporate. I dont give a shit. They played some immensely catchy, effervescent pop rock music. "Sara", "We Built This City", and "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" were bangers, and don't deserve the ridicule they engender. Were they classics of American rock, destined to stand the test of time? No, probably not, but they were fun and catchy and enjoyable, and sometimes that's good enough.
Look, Grace Slick had a fantastic voice in both versions of the band. Marty Balin was nearly as good. Both bands had decent guitarists, but I liked Starship's more keyboard-heavy sound better. Bottom line is that while I dont deny the impact Airplane had on the evolution of rock, their music doesn't do anything for me. But i have so much time for Starship.
Airplane: 1.5 out of 5. Starship: 3 out of 5.

Now, the Monkees. I am unapologetically, unashamedly, and unable massive fan of the Monkees. I was lucky enough to have been able to see Davy Jones' last show in February of 2012, and I will be forever thankful that I made the trip. The guy was a raging asshole, just an absolute price, but my God was he a great singer.
Let's get the obvious out of the way: yes, they began as a manufactured, prefabricated band. But several of them were already accomplished, performing musicians, and bef ore long they all were. I dont think they ever were virtuoso-level, but they were capable hands.
They had amazingly catchy pop songs jammed full of hooks, loads of personality, and a huge sense of humor. Prefabricated or not, they were everything one needs in a pop rock band. 5 out of 5.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

did i ever mention the week i spent with Andy wood and lane Stanley in this thread? we spent a week at a buddy of mines lake house in the yakima hills in washington. the other buddy was a roadie for mother love bone. eddy vedder was there for a few days as well. they were just non famous normal dudes at the time.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

porky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:39 pm

how about warren hayes
derreck trucks
an done of my all time favorites: sublime

Dude, why the hostility? I simply said they'd been dealt with. I didn't go into "Hey, you cock-gobbling shitbird, pull your thumb out of Stapes' racist ass and read the entire fucking thread. And while you're at it, make yourself useful and go get me a chicken sammich, your treat, and be quick about it, boy!" or any of that. Relax, man. You're gonna stroke out being that full of rage. You sound like a Democrat forced to watch America succeed.

I rated Scorpions favorably. Ditto Sublime, a few pages back.
I have heard the names Derreck Trucks and Warren Hayes, but I dont believe I know their music, sorry.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

porky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:44 pm did i ever mention the week i spent with Andy wood and lane Stanley in this thread? we spent a week at a buddy of mines lake house in the yakima hills in washington. the other buddy was a roadie for mother love bone. eddy vedder was there for a few days as well. they were just non famous normal dudes at the time.
You did. I was jealous then and I'm still jealous now.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

somebody might have had a stroke.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

Deathproof wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:48 pm
porky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:39 pm

how about warren hayes
derreck trucks
an done of my all time favorites: sublime

Dude, why the hostility? I simply said they'd been dealt with. I didn't go into "Hey, you cock-gobbling shitbird, pull your thumb out of Stapes' racist ass and read the entire fucking thread. And while you're at it, make yourself useful and go get me a chicken sammich, your treat, and be quick about it, boy!" or any of that. Relax, man. You're gonna stroke out being that full of rage. You sound like a Democrat forced to watch America succeed.

I rated Scorpions favorably. Ditto Sublime, a few pages back.
I have heard the names Derreck Trucks and Warren Hayes, but I dont believe I know their music, sorry.
lighten up buddy..it was a joke. i think your homeboy fsf is getting too you
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

try this on:

hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Deathproof wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:49 pm
porky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:44 pm did i ever mention the week i spent with Andy wood and lane Stanley in this thread? we spent a week at a buddy of mines lake house in the yakima hills in washington. the other buddy was a roadie for mother love bone. eddy vedder was there for a few days as well. they were just non famous normal dudes at the time.
You did. I was jealous then and I'm still jealous now.
Was it at Rimrock? I seem to remember this story as well.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

yes. it was rimrock. btw...thats the coldest water on the planet. i have great stories from that place. i shot an elk there...i crashed a snow mobile...its amazing country
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

I hate throwing my favorites out, but how about Blind Melon?
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:03 pm I hate throwing my favorites out, but how about Blind Melon?
nice call...what about candlebox
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:41 pmBon Jovi
I have so much time for Bon Jovi. The band, not the guy. He has a history of fucking over people who get close to him. I've mentioned before in this thread that I'm hanging out-level friends with Sebastian Bach (if you don't recognize the name, you may remember his former backing band, Skid Row). Bach and I have talked about how early in their career, they got some help from Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora as far as getting a recording contract and finding a producer, etc, which is common knowledge. What a lot of people don't know is that JBJ and also tricked the Skid Row guys into signing over their publishing rights, which wound up screwing them out of pikes of money that went directly into Bon Jovi's and Sambora's pockets. Just a scumbag move. Apparently Sambora didn't know about it, and to his credit, returned his share of the money and publishing to Skid Row when he found out. But it established a pattern of Jon Bon Jovi shitting on people and taking advantage of them.
Anyway, musically Bon Jovi is awesome. Massive pop hooks in huge, catchy songs. A great talent for melodies and -- at least when Sambora was around before Jon fucked him over too -- great harmonies ("Wanted Dead or Alive" for example). Sambora was/is a gunslinger on the guitar, Jon Bon Jovi was one of the great voices of the hair metal era, and their keyboard player ( I have forgotten his name) is top-notch.
They were best on their third, fourth, and fifth albums (Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, and Keep the Faith). They've lost a step or two in later years, but are still above-average. 4.25 out of 5.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:03 pm I hate throwing my favorites out, but how about Blind Melon?
I am way into old Blind Melon, with Shannon Hoon. I haven't heard the stuff with the new singer. But man, I loved the Hoon albums. "Tones of Home" was my favorite. They were so much more than "No Rain" and the Bee Girl. A bit more noodle-y and jam band-y than I typically care for, but something about them grabbed me. 4 out of 5.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Hawk wanted me to also ask you about the Bee Gees.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Flumper wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:26 pm Hawk wanted me to also ask you about the Bee Gees.
They're having a hard time stayin' alive
I blame Biker.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Hey now, I liked the Gibbs boys, and disco for that matter.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

tbone walker