Deathproof band ratings

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Deathproof band ratings

Post by Biker »

I'm curious what DP thinks about many of the band that we all like. List a band you want him to opine on and hopefully he will play along. Lets do a scale of 1-5, with fractions being included.

I'll start

Guns n Roses
Uncle Tupelo
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Re: Deathproof band ratings

Post by Wut »

The soundtrack from the original London cast of Jeckyll and Hyde.
wut?
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

Biker wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:55 am I'm curious what DP thinks about many of the band that we all like. List a band you want him to opine on and hopefully he will play along. Lets do a scale of 1-5, with fractions being included.

I'll start

Guns n Roses
Uncle Tupelo
I like this idea. I can talk about music all fucking day.
Guns n' Roses is an easy 5. They were/(are?) one of the all-time greats.
Uncle Tupelo is a band I'm not all that familiar with. I've heard a couple songs and they were okay, but I don't know them well enough to give them any rating. EDIT: I just put their song "Moonshiner" on to get a little more familiar. I'm digging it a bit.
Last edited by Deathproof on Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

UFO.
Scorpions before the Animal Magnetism album.
wut?
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Wut wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:00 am UFO.
UFO is another band I'm not well-acquainted with. Again, I know a couple songs and don't dislike them, but I can't give them any fair rating.
Scorpions... see, I'm into the Scorpions, but you're gonna have to give me a minute to figure out what came before Animal Magnetism and what came after. I'm looking right now and will edit this response accordingly.

EDIT: Okay, I looked. Almost ALL of the Scorpions stuff I like came after Animal Magnetism. I have heard the pre-A.M. stuff, for sure, but it's just not the same. The exception is the song "Holiday", from the Lovedrive album, a song I am way into. So, Scorpions pre-A.M. gets a 1. Post-A.M. gets a 4. Overall, I'd give them a 4.

EDIT AGAIN: I have UFO's "Only You Can Rock Me" playing on Spotify right now, and it is fucking terrible. Like, I really hate this.
Last edited by Deathproof on Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

ZZ Top
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Deathproof wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:03 am
UFO is another band I'm not well-acquainted with. Again, I know a couple songs and don't dislike them, but I can't give them any fair rating.
Scorpions... see, I'm into the Scorpions, but you're gonna have to give me a minute to figure out what came before Animal Magnetism and what came after. I'm looking right now and will edit this response accordingly.
I posed it in that manner because I think they were at their best up to and including that album. Tokyo Tapes is a good collection of their earlier music live, it was pre-Animal Magnetism.
wut?
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Flumper wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:05 amZZ Top
If I'm in the right mood, ZZTop is the tits. That album Eliminator is fucking classic. Some of their newer stuff bores me, but their stuff circa 1978-1988 is high quality. I'd give them a 3.75.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Wut wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:06 am
I posed it in that manner because I think they were at their best up to and including that album. Tokyo Tapes is a good collection of their earlier music live, it was pre-Animal Magnetism.
Really? I liked blackout. I think that was the album that I got turned on to them.

And just think if they tried to put the Virgin Killers album cover out nowadays
I blame Biker.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Stapes wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:10 am
Really? I liked blackout. I think that was the album that I got turned on to them.

Fucking hell, I'm calling the daycare center and giving them Klaus Meine's license plate number right now.
But I agree, Blackout was the shit. Love at First Sting was better, but Blackout would be a close second.
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

Def Leppard - pre-Hysteria
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

HighNDry wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:18 am Def Leppard - pre-Hysteria
What is it with you guys and your era-specific suggestions? Okay, Def Leppard... I'm a fan. I used to play Hysteria in the dressing room before going on stage. But you're talking about High and Dry, On Through the Night, and Pyromania.
Pyromania had its moments. Good album but not great. High and Dry, slightly less good. On Through the Night was a snooze-fest.
So, preHysteria Def Leppard I'd give a 2. Hysteria through Slang I'd give a 5. Everything after Slang is garbage, a 1.
Overall I'd give Def Leppard a 4.

Am I supposed to just give ratings and that's all? Or is the additional commentary allowable?

I'm playing a Thin Lizzy concert on youtube right now and I kept thinking "when the fuck are they gonna play Bang a Gong?" And then it occurred to me that I had Thin Lizzy confused with T. Rex and facepalmed.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

That one is up there with Blind faith. I believe the Scorpions got rid of their original cover for Lovedrive, I think they did so for that one too.
wut?
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

Deathproof wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:26 am
What is it with you guys and your era-specific suggestions? Okay, Def Leppard... I'm a fan. I used to play Hysteria in the dressing room before going on stage. But you're talking about High and Dry, On Through the Night, and Pyromania.
Pyromania had its moments. Good album but not great. High and Dry, slightly less good. On Through the Night was a snooze-fest.
So, preHysteria Def Leppard I'd give a 2. Hysteria through Slang I'd give a 5. Everything after Slang is garbage, a 1.

Am I supposed to just give ratings and that's all? Or is the additional commentary allowable?

I'm playing a Thin Lizzy concert on youtube right now and I kept thinking "when the fuck are they gonna play Bang a Gong?" And then it occurred to me that I had Thin Lizzy confused with T. Rex and facepalmed.
Interesting take. I think Euphoria had its moments, but Joe’s voice was pretty much shot by the mid 90s. Personally, I like the raw sound of High ‘n Dry. Too bad Pete Willis couldn’t fucking stay sober. I like Phil Collen, but his guitar work was more polished than Willis’.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Deathproof wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:26 am

The additional commentary is appreciated.

I may have seen Thin lizzy in concert. I was high a lot back then.
wut?
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Wut wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:32 am

That one is up there with Blind faith. I believe the Scorpions got rid of their original cover for Lovedrive, I think they did so for that one too.
Was Lovedrive the one with the gum on the girl's tit? My understanding is that they made a different cover for certain markets, but the gum-tit cover is still available in some places.
Can confirm the Blind Faith album. My copy has a black-and-white picture of the band, thankfully. I am happy to do without a topless 12-year-old on my record cover.
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

Deathproof wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:36 am

Was Lovedrive the one with the gum on the girl's tit? My understanding is that they made a different cover for certain markets, but the gum-tit cover is still available in some places.
Can confirm the Blind Faith album. My copy has a black-and-white picture of the band, thankfully. I am happy to do without a topless 12-year-old on my record cover.
Yep.
54DA2A0C-39AF-410D-A2E7-D6F039CB4C81.jpeg
-Mitch Hedberg
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Yeah, that's it.

Tokyo Tapes was our premier rocking album when I was young, along with UFO's Strangers in the Night, also a live album.
wut?
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

Weird Al Yankovik, also what would you say if he called and asked to cover one of your songs or use it in a Polka medley?

Sabaton

AC DC

Psychostick

Disturbed, also specifically your take on the sound of silence
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

HighNDry wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:38 am

Yep.
Here's the alternate cover:
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Creedance Clearwater Revival.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

How about Foo Fighters?

Playing the Hives

A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

Deathproof wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:44 am
HighNDry wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:38 am

Yep.
Here's the alternate cover:
Gum tit > Alternate cover
-Mitch Hedberg
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Blast wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:43 am Weird Al Yankovik, also what would you say if he called and asked to cover one of your songs or use it in a Polka medley?

Sabaton

AC DC

Psychostick

Disturbed, also specifically your take on the sound of silence
If Weird Al called and wanted to use one of our songs, I'd be over the moon. That guy is a fucking hero and I will die on that hill. The fact that he's only really known for parodies of Michael Jackson songs is a travesty; he is a phenomenal musician and songwriter, and I'd be tremendously honored to find out he likes our work enough to bother with it. For the record, an easy 5 rating.

I don't know Sabaton, sorry. Never heard of them.

AC/DC... it's funny you ask, because I was just talking to CuteGermanGirl about them yesterday. Up until a year or so ago, I fucking hated AC/DC. Their music, and especially their lyrics, came off really juvenile, childish, and corny to me. And whichever of the Young brothers was the lead guitarist, I can't remember, I have zero respect for him as a guitarist because of all the post-production bullshit that they had to do to make him sound good on their records. The guy couldn't remember how to play his own songs from minute to minute. This is a well-known thing to people in certain circles, they always had another guitar player off-stage playing his parts and he mimed along because he'd forget how to play them.
Having said that, over the past year I've been pressured to give their stuff another listen and keep an open mind, and... fine, it's not the worst music I've ever heard. Some songs are actually pretty good. "Big Guns", especially, is a winner. "Moneytalks" and "Thunderstruck" kick some ass. "You Shook Me All Night Long", despite the idiotic lyrics, is decent. Brian Johnson's singing used to grate on my nerves but it's grown on me. But then you have absolute dreck like "Boil You in Oil" and "Hell's Belles" that just suck the air out of the room.
Overall, I'd give AC/DC a 2.5.

Psychostick... I don't know if I can even take that question seriously. They're as juvenile as AC/DC, but there's no sign they're ever going to improve. It's just stupid for the sake of stupid, and it doesn't even sound good. Plus I've met a couple of those guys and they were grade-A, top-shelf douchebags. I had high hopes when I saw they had a song titled "Orgasms = Love", but it's terrible. So fucking stupid. Can I rate a band 0? Or is 1 the lowest?

Disturbed, though... the first album "The Sickness", is fucking incredible. Heavy, thunderous, aggressive. Subsequent albums were a notch or two less impressive, but still not bad. The song "Ten Thousand Fists" is fucking great. As far as "Sound of Silence" goes, I initially hated it, but I think that was because I couldn't stop comparing it to the Simon & Garfunkel version. Once I got past that, I came to really appreciate Disturbed's version. Dave Drahan (I think that's his name, right?) showed a completely different side of his voice on that one and it's powerful. I think at this point I actually prefer it to the S&G version. Whether or not that assessment will stand the test of time, I'm not sure, but it's really, really good. Disturbed gets a 4.25.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион

Post by Deathproof »

Flumper wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:45 am Creedance Clearwater Revival.
One of my all-time favorites, both CCR and Fogerty's solo work. I don't have a negative word for any of it. "Lodi" is my personal favorite, but goddamn do they have a ton of great songs. "Bad Moon Rising", "Down on the Corner", "Born on the Bayou", "Fortunate Son", "Old Man Down the Road"... I could go on and on. Fogerty's voice is a unique instrument in a class of its own. Easy 5 rating.