Smokehouses

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Smokehouses

Post by Animal »

but there is no thermostat, if that's what you are looking for.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Animal wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:26 am but there is no thermostat, if that's what you are looking for.
You do realize without a thermostat, no way you qualify for a 3 star Michelin rating.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Thermostats and wax rings confuse The WTC
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Back to megman.

if something like this was a consideration (cinder blocks). if you build the fire pit to one side and then a smoking chamber. you can make "shelves" for meat to sit on by drilling into the blocks and using #3 rebar to span from side to side and then expanded metal cut to size to make the "grate" for the meat to sit. My entire pit under the lid is done that way. Every 12" or so I have a #3 rebar running across from one side to the other and stuck in drilled holes. then a single sheet of expanded metal on top of them to hold the meat that is smoking.

i would assume that one of the 4 sides of the smoke chamber will be a solid door (wood) that opens to reveal the entire smoke chamber. Maybe an upper and lower door so you only open one at a time and don't let out as much smoke.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Re: STINKhouses

Post by CaptQuint »

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Animal wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:48 am Back to megman.

if something like this was a consideration (cinder blocks). if you build the fire pit to one side and then a smoking chamber. you can make "shelves" for meat to sit on by drilling into the blocks and using #3 rebar to span from side to side and then expanded metal cut to size to make the "grate" for the meat to sit. My entire pit under the lid is done that way. Every 12" or so I have a #3 rebar running across from one side to the other and stuck in drilled holes. then a single sheet of expanded metal on top of them to hold the meat that is smoking.

i would assume that one of the 4 sides of the smoke chamber will be a solid door (wood) that opens to reveal the entire smoke chamber. Maybe an upper and lower door so you only open one at a time and don't let out as much smoke.
Ya, that's exactly the route I would go.

I'm wondering, and I'm curious if it can be done, if it can be set up for hot smoke AND cold smoke on the same unit.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

megman wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:13 am
Animal wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:48 am Back to megman.

Ya, that's exactly the route I would go.

I'm wondering, and I'm curious if it can be done, if it can be set up for hot smoke AND cold smoke on the same unit.
well, i know it works for hot smoke. i have never built anything for cold smoke, so i'm not entirely sure the procedure for capturing the smoke and not so much the heat. what temp does it have to stay below?

My first thought is to have a separate flu that can be opened that vents to a pipe with holes in it to let the smoke out as it goes through the chamber, but the pipe continues out the other side to vent to a stack where the heat can be released. but i am totally guessing at how that is done.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

or (to cold smoke) you just have a damper to shut off the heat and smoke from the hot smoker (like mine is) and then have a separate damper to open for another vent pipe. but this pipe makes one trip around the base of the chamber before it goes in and by then most of the heat is released.

plus you build a smaller fire and use wood chips instead of firewood size logs that i use for hot smoking. This could easily be done with a little redneck engineering. but i would definitely start by using the same smoke chamber and the same fire box and have the difference in hot or cold smoke determined by how you duct and damper between the two.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Animal wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:31 am or (to cold smoke) you just have a damper to shut off the heat and smoke from the hot smoker (like mine is) and then have a separate damper to open for another vent pipe. but this pipe makes one trip around the base of the chamber before it goes in and by then most of the heat is released.

plus you build a smaller fire and use wood chips instead of firewood size logs that i use for hot smoking. This could easily be done with a little redneck engineering. but i would definitely start by using the same smoke chamber and the same fire box and have the difference in hot or cold smoke determined by how you duct and damper between the two.
Ya from what I've seen the cold smokers seem to rely more on the plumbing. Not sure if it's possible to feasibly run both.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

megman wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:45 am
Animal wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:31 am or (to cold smoke) you just have a damper to shut off the heat and smoke from the hot smoker (like mine is) and then have a separate damper to open for another vent pipe. but this pipe makes one trip around the base of the chamber before it goes in and by then most of the heat is released.

Ya from what I've seen the cold smokers seem to rely more on the plumbing. Not sure if it's possible to feasibly run both.
oh, i guarantee you it could be done. but, if you are skeptical, then think of it like this. you build one smoke chamber for both purposes and then you have a hot smoke chamber on one side that vents straight into it. then on the other side you have a smoke chamber several feet away with pipe connecting the two that carries smoke and can release heat on the way.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

I think most would want see both your finished designs. Interesting projects.
peterosehaircut
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by peterosehaircut »

Biker wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 am
pork wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:18 am ok fuckers. ill say it again....traeger
Yep, buying one when I get back to Texas
Do not buy the dual burner one. When smoking on low heat one side almost always goes out and fills the fire box with pellets. Major pain in the ass.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

i have caught several of them on fire that way over the years. i have the pro 575. its great and they are running a sale right now at treager. $100 off plus a pelltes and a cover. or the mesa 22 from costco its 549 and is basically the same machine
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Animal wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:47 am

oh, i guarantee you it could be done. but, if you are skeptical, then think of it like this. you build one smoke chamber for both purposes and then you have a hot smoke chamber on one side that vents straight into it. then on the other side you have a smoke chamber several feet away with pipe connecting the two that carries smoke and can release heat on the way.
I was leaning towards using the same smoke chamber for both, using 2 simple flues, open for hot and venting further for cold.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

megman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:25 am
Animal wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:47 am

I was leaning towards using the same smoke chamber for both, using 2 simple flues, open for hot and venting further for cold.
I agree 100%. That's what I would do. There is something said to getting a smoke chamber sort of "seasoned".
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Photos of your Smokehouses in "action" at your earliest conveniences, gentlemen
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:17 am Photos of your Smokehouses in "action" at your earliest conveniences, gentlemen

I don't think the La Casa Apartments complex allows tenants to build fucking smokehouses on their property
I blame Biker.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

You gonna build one in the backyard you don't have?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CaptQuint wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:23 am Image

a Texan would turn that mother fucker into a BBQ joint in a heart beat. meat market out front and smoked bbq in the rear.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:28 am

a Texan would turn that mother fucker into a BBQ joint in a heart beat. meat market out front and smoked bbq in the rear.
And as an added Bonus, it would seem every meal would be kosher.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:31 am
Animal wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:28 am

And as an added Bonus, it would seem every meal would be kosher.
Holocaust jokes....always big at a Texas BBQ.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
I blame Biker.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

the Germans and Polocks and Bohunks, etc. make up a lot of the settlers in Central Texas. And the Germans ran most of the meat markets and still do. Making sausage and smoking meats. I don't know what it is about Germans and smoking meat. I guess they invented BBQ in texas.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

the best thing they brought was kolaches. omg.

but, goddamn, they sure love the vowels when they made last names in that country.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

i shit you not...about 8 years ago my "sales team" took me to a Pilipino joint for my bday that the asshole flock too. it is a Pilipino buffet in Daly city ca. i grew up my entire chilhood in the town next door. Its a tough working class city where the sf airport is. San bruno...its my hometown. there was the big pg&e explosion there about 10 years ago the blew my old neighborhood apart. anyways...they are describing where this place is and i am thinking to myself..i fucking know that building. its across the street from the see's candy factory. i know it really well. that's where they fucking cremated my uncle. sure as shit i show up and they converted the crematorium into fucking Pilipino buffet and bar. i never touched a bite of food and i think a few of the ladies quit right after that. fuck that
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:08 am the best thing they brought was kolaches. omg.

but, goddamn, they sure love the vowels when they made last names in that country.
That would be the Czech's I believe.