Mars Rover landing 3:55pm Eastern

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

woohooguy
Forum God

Mars Rover landing 3:55pm Eastern

Post by woohooguy »

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

or

The Youtube stream is getting overloaded.

They should have some fancy new graphics and shit, 11 minute delay from when the signal is sent from Mars and when Nasa gets it.

:popcorn:

Edit - RAW images - https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/raw-images/

Edit - Rover current location - https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/ ... the-rover/

Sound of rover driving on mars -
Last edited by woohooguy on Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"stupid ass bitch ass bitch“
Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Mars Rover landing 3:55pm Eastern

Post by Animal »

thank you so much for posting this. i had forgotten the time.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

It’s amazing the type of equipment we are sending to Mars now, the landing systems are autonomous with logic decision making and we still can’t have a fucking forum with avatars on the left.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

The chick hosting has a mole on her cleavage.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Meh.

IF it lands properly give me a heads up when the helicopter flies. Curious how that is going to work out.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Homebrew
Actually drinks Natty Lite.

Post by Homebrew »

disco.moon wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:16 pm So, I'm not privy to all this new shit. I thought the Rover had always been there. Or was there before? Can you gimme Mars Rover for Dummies?
Its a new one thats gonna do some fancy shit if it survives. There is a video in this link.

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8860/nasas-n ... nding-yet/
What if it was one guy with six guns?
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

disco.moon wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:16 pm So, I'm not privy to all this new shit. I thought the Rover had always been there. Or was there before? Can you gimme Mars Rover for Dummies?
Lots of spare parts. 8-)
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

"My battery is low and it's getting dark."
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

There have been 3 different types of rovers -

The small one was Sojourner - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sojourner_(rover) 1996

The 2nd set was Spirit and Opportunity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_(rover) 2003

The large one is Curiosity, still on mars since 2011. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_(rover)

The new one, Perseverance, is about the same size. Both are the about the size of a compact car. Both are powered by a nuclear RTG as previous rovers solar panels got dusted up.

This is how the rover will land -

Lots of shit to wrong there, but they did it once already with Curiosity.

Perseverance is the most advanced, carries the most cameras, the most robust to date, and can drive autonomously covering the distance traveled of previous rovers entire life in a single day.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

8 minutes until atmospheric entry.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Didn't the Chinese and the UAE just send their own respective landers?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Animal wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:56 pm thank you so much for posting this. i had forgotten the time.
Same here. Thanks Woohoo. Watching now. Parachute just deployed. They were clapping just now, so sounds good so far.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

And success. Thanks for that WooHoo.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

everyone is a bit of a nerd today.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Surface support team - "yay we still have a job!"
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

woohooguy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:11 pm Surface support team - "yay we still have a job!"
:lol: I guess they would be out of a job by the end of their shift.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

11 minute delay? So where are the live streaming videos of it landing? or pics from inside the damn thing?

Nasa needs a production crew to plan this shit out.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:33 pm
"My battery is low and it's getting dark."
Too soon :cry:
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:23 pm 11 minute delay? So where are the live streaming videos of it landing? or pics from inside the damn thing?

They are reacting to when they get the signals. It's just delayed because of the distance.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:36 pm
Animal wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:23 pm 11 minute delay? So where are the live streaming videos of it landing? or pics from inside the damn thing?

They are reacting to when they get the signals. It's just delayed because of the distance.
yeah, i get the reason for the delay.

my point is that they had a big audience watching the live landing stuff. then after 11 minutes they "could have" started showing us pictures from inside the space ship as it was landing. Or pictures from the space ship panning across the surface of the planet. or maybe a short video of mars dust blowing across the horizon. anything.

If I was running that show, i would have had some kind of camera filming the last 2 minutes of its landing. going from 1,000 kilometer/sec down to nothing right before it landed. but no, we got nothing but animation of that stuff.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Animal wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 pm

my point is that they had a big audience watching the live landing stuff. then after 11 minutes they "could have" started showing us pictures from inside the space ship as it was landing. Or pictures from the space ship panning across the surface of the planet. or maybe a short video of mars dust blowing across the horizon. anything.

If I was running that show, i would have had some kind of camera filming the last 2 minutes of its landing. going from 1,000 kilometer/sec down to nothing right before it landed. but no, we got nothing but animation of that stuff.
It's incase there is an "oops". 8-)
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Soon.

The limitation right now is the rotation of earth and mars, and the position of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter - https://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/DPSummary/MRO_092106.pdf

Perseverance carries more electronics on it then any other rover, and the first rover to fully control all phases of flight after launch. It has an antenna that allows for a 2-3kilobyte data connection to the deep space network, a 2megabit connection to the MRO, and the MRO has a 3mb max connection under perfect conditions to the deep space network.

The MRO is over head of the rover 8 MINUTES A DAY.. yes, Nasa planned this landing so the MRO was overhead for that vital 8 minutes, and they planned it a year ago. The second that boosters fired on earth, to landing on Mars almost a year later, millions of miles, so the MRO would be over the landing site.

Only magnets can explain that.

So the rover can only comm with earth a few hours a day, and its slow. It cant really comm at night as the rover requires a lot of additional power to heat the electronics, along with the residual heat from the RTG, so the rover sleeps at night so the heaters can work.

The MRO talks with the rover as well and has a robust 3mb data connection...The UPS guys tablet has a connection 5 times faster. But its only 8mins a day, and the connection is fast, so the MRO relays the data as it can see earth more frequently, and when it cant, it stores the data. But it cant store a lot of data, it was 2005 tech. The MRO has anywhere from 16 minutes to a few hours to talk to earth, depending on the orbit, tilt of Mars and the Earth, etc etc.

The data is there. Getting it to earth is the problem.

Add that the MRO is only 15 minutes a pop, two times a day.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

megman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:48 pm

Well, they knew it landed safely. and then there's the 11 minute delay before the tape recording arrives here, so in that 11 minutes they could have determined if there were any "oops".

did none of you expect to see some live images from that fucking thing after it landed? Even if they were 11 minutes late?
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Not to mention the loss of the deep space telescope in Arecibo Puerto Rico is a huge hit to the deep space network as the antenna was exceptionally fast for tracking faint signals. Everything Arecibo pointed to in space, rotating 24 hours a day, is now black.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Animal wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:53 pm
megman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:48 pm

Well, they knew it landed safely. and then there's the 11 minute delay before the tape recording arrives here, so in that 11 minutes they could have determined if there were any "oops".

did none of you expect to see some live images from that fucking thing after it landed? Even if they were 11 minutes late?
I was laughing the entire time as the descent sequence was 8 minutes long and the delay was 11...that thing could have been a smoldering pile of martian rubble for 4 minutes while those idiots were clapping...lmao

There were a few quick images, the higher rez ones will come later.

The rocket pack the rover rode in on had cameras and data connection as well, we will have video frames from both the rocket pack and rover in the next 12 to 24 hours.