Autoplay Videos

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Autoplay Videos

Post by Animal »

I know this has become a little bit of a problem for some people. Especially if you are at work and someone has posted a link that auto plays. Especially if the volume is way up.

Anyway, if you have any solution to this, post it.

Meanwhile, I was reading that if you use Chrome as your browser, go to the settings (three vertical dots at top left). Then go down to Privacy and click on "Site Settings". Then go down to "Sound" on Additional settings. Then turn this setting off (or mute). You can add sites that you don't want muted.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Re: Autoplay Videos

Post by CaptQuint »

Or you could use the link function right here on UJ.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments ... pointment/

That's what I use if I wanna share something from reddit that autoplays
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CaptQuint wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:39 pm Or you could use the link function right here on UJ.

but if someone else has already linked it, then thats not going to solve it. But what you are saying is that people that link those kind of things should use that instead of hot linking it?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Animal wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:41 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:39 pm Or you could use the link function right here on UJ.

but if someone else has already linked it, then thats not going to solve it. But what you are saying is that people that link those kind of things should use that instead of hot linking it?
Yes, it leaves link clickable, but doesn't expand and autoplay. If you just copy paste the link it will autoplay. If you use the url url function it does not.
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

Last edited by necronomous on Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

FYI: we use a pretty simple "Media Embed" extension that allows a large number of viewable media links including Youtube. There is no customization needed or allowed. It's binary: either a media link is allowed or it isn't. So this isn't a board issue, this is solely in the browser you use to view this board. We can't control whether a link autoplays or doesn't, unless the link itself allows it.

TL;DR - this ain't my problem as board admin.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

What am I missing here? Why are autoplay videos an issue?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:29 pm What am I missing here? Why are autoplay videos an issue?
if you have sound on and the sound is turned up very much they can be an issue in an office.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:48 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:29 pm What am I missing here? Why are autoplay videos an issue?
if you have sound on and the sound is turned up very much they can be an issue in an office.
Ah! I thought maybe they were slowing down WTC's Commodore 64.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:18 pm
the ones on here aren't all that bad because if you go to a page they instantly start, so your brain connects the dots pretty quick and you can back out. The ones that drive me crazy are on big news sites (or whatever) where you were browsing an hour ago and left the tab open and went on to other things. And you have 40 tabs open and then all of a sudden some loud ass shit starts up and you have no idea where its coming from and have to start going through every tab to find it.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:21 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:18 pm
the ones on here aren't all that bad because if you go to a page they instantly start, so your brain connects the dots pretty quick and you can back out. The ones that drive me crazy are on big news sites (or whatever) where you were browsing an hour ago and left the tab open and went on to other things. And you have 40 tabs open and then all of a sudden some loud ass shit starts up and you have no idea where its coming from and have to start going through every tab to find it.
God damn those first world problems !!!
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:23 pm God damn those first world problems !!!
oh its definitely a first world problem. when someone wants your attention so badly that they will do something annoying to get it. Its like the old vacuum salesman that throws a can of dirt on your carpet the moment you open the door.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:07 am :lol: :lol: :lol:
I get the feeling you have heard about this in person.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

QillerDaemon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:15 pm FYI: we use a pretty simple "Media Embed" extension that allows a large number of viewable media links including Youtube. There is no customization needed or allowed. It's binary: either a media link is allowed or it isn't. So this isn't a board issue, this is solely in the browser you use to view this board. We can't control whether a link autoplays or doesn't, unless the link itself allows it.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

no. its almost as if you have something zoomed on your screen?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Animal wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:35 pm no. its almost as if you have something zoomed on your screen?
Yup. that's it. UJ was on 175%
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

QillerDaemon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:15 pm FYI: we use a pretty simple "Media Embed" extension that allows a large number of viewable media links including Youtube. There is no customization needed or allowed. It's binary: either a media link is allowed or it isn't. So this isn't a board issue, this is solely in the browser you use to view this board. We can't control whether a link autoplays or doesn't, unless the link itself allows it.

Then whose problem is it?

I put Necro on ignore and the video autoplays anyway.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

CaptQuint wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:50 pm

I put Necro on ignore and the video autoplays anyway.
Lol. I started linking. You're welcome whiney bitch.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

I did the whole link embed, and when I came back to it, it had deleted the url embed part.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady

Post by QillerDaemon »

"Pick my nose and play Skyrim"

I'm just telling you, there's nothing in the config to the media mod of our board that allows or disallows how videos autoplay. *We* can't control it. Since there are two ends to this problem, the board server and the user's browser, and since there is nothing on our end that we can do to stop video autoplay, then it has to be an issue with the user's browser. I have researched as best I can, and the answer points to it being something in your browser's configuration. Most board admins prefer video autoplay, in fact. I don't care one way or the other, and until you brought the issue up, didn't consider it to be a problem that needed a solution. And I see no solution on our side.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

QillerDaemon wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:27 pm

I'm just telling you, there's nothing in the config to the media mod of our board that allows or disallows how videos autoplay. *We* can't control it. Since there are two ends to this problem, the board server and the user's browser, and since there is nothing on our end that we can do to stop video autoplay, then it has to be an issue with the user's browser. I have researched as best I can, and the answer points to it being something in your browser's configuration. Most board admins prefer video autoplay, in fact. I don't care one way or the other, and until you brought the issue up, didn't consider it to be a problem that needed a solution. And I see no solution on our side.
Hold up, admins prefer autoplay? It's the most obnoxious feature of any website, especially news. And sometimes on phones I've noticed certain sites will bypass browser settings (looking at you CNN). Those sites don't get repeat visits from me
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

QillerDaemon wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:27 pm

That's corporate IT talk for not my problem
I blame Biker.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady

Post by QillerDaemon »

Stapes wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:38 pm That's corporate IT talk for not my problem
:lol: pretty much. It's a special skill we IT people have to learn to control our workload. People *love* to blame IT for all sorts of matters that are basically out of our hands, but that the complainer naturally assumes is an IT issue. A lot of our job is to pull people out of their own fuck-ups.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Add this extension to chrome

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... olai?hl=en

You may need to disable it on sites, just right click the extension icon and disable
"stupid ass bitch ass bitch“
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Seems like the problem is with only one whiny bitch.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.