Anyone happen to know the nc state coding law (UPDATE SOLVED)

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Anyone happen to know the nc state coding law (UPDATE SOLVED)

Post by necronomous »

for how far away the foundation must be from septic drainage lines. I have found things for the septic tank itself, and then some possible for drainage but hard to tell, but nothing for sure. Im getting anywhere from 5 to 10 feet. I would like to know so I can make my new master bedroom as large as possible.
Last edited by necronomous on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Anyone happen to know the nc state coding law

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm for how far away the foundation must be from septic drainage lines. I have found things for the septic tank itself, and then some possible for drainage but hard to tell, but nothing for sure. Im getting anywhere from 5 to 10 feet. I would like to know so I can make my new master bedroom as large as possible.
I know this won't help, but i recently bought some land and on that land was an old house and in the purchase they including some amazing note keeping the old man had. and in those notes were the drawings of the drain field of the septic lines coming out of the house. It was 8 feet from the house to where the drain field started. Now this was in the county, in texas, many years ago, and on a house with a pier and beam foundation. so its not very relevant to your situation.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

i would bet its specific to the county you live in. pretty simple to find out
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

pork wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 pm i would bet its specific to the county you live in. pretty simple to find out
You would think, but as I stated before, I'm not very Google friendly.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

necronomous wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm for how far away the foundation must be from septic drainage lines.
I'd say far enough from the fresh water lines coming from the well that you feel comfortable with.

necronomous wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm I have found things for the septic tank itself, and then some possible for drainage but hard to tell, but nothing for sure. Im getting anywhere from 5 to 10 feet.
That tank you found in the Carolina woods above ground is most likely for hooch, not poop. Review your assets for this project.

necronomous wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm I would like to know so I can make my new master bedroom as large as possible.
How deep a foundation we talking about?
"stupid ass bitch ass bitch“
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

To be sure. Are you talking about the leech field?
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

i think it has to do with depth as well. i did a quick search and it says 5 feet. its different from county to county
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

rule34 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:56 pm To be sure. Are you talking about the leech field?
that's what i'm thinking. i think he's wanting to know how far out does the main drain from the house have to go from the foundation before the leech field can begin.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

The grass grows really well for about 5 foot on either side of my leech lines.
Last edited by rule34 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Vanderglide
Forum Regular

Post by Vanderglide »

I would get a hold of the county/municipality that you’re working in and get something in writing from them
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

necronomous wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:42 pm
pork wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 pm i would bet its specific to the county you live in. pretty simple to find out
You would think, but as I stated before, I'm not very Google friendly.
Do you searching on the county's website, codes are generally pretty easy to search through
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

rule34 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:56 pm To be sure. Are you talking about the leech field?
Well the drain line to the leech field
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

woohooguy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 pm
necronomous wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm for how far away the foundation must be from septic drainage lines.
I'd say far enough from the fresh water lines coming from the well that you feel comfortable with.

necronomous wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm I have found things for the septic tank itself, and then some possible for drainage but hard to tell, but nothing for sure. Im getting anywhere from 5 to 10 feet.
That tank you found in the Carolina woods above ground is most likely for hooch, not poop. Review your assets for this project.

necronomous wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm I would like to know so I can make my new master bedroom as large as possible.
How deep a foundation we talking about?
4 I think
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

One final question... is your septic up to code, like 100 percent, fact?

Or is it a grandfathered situation.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:12 pm You're welcome unless you wanna gripe at me for making a shitty joke lolz
She's having a field day here.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

woohooguy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:09 pm One final question... is your septic up to code, like 100 percent, fact?

Its up to code for house currently. But i have to draw up plans. And to do so i need to know how close I can get to the lines. My septic is on the side of my house. The first and shortest line curves behind my house. I will find the line and measure the proper distance away so i can do my drawings and measurements. And I am getting conflicting codes on the places I look. I am in Johnston county nc.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Animal wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:58 pm
that's what i'm thinking. i think he's wanting to know how far out does the main drain from the house have to go from the foundation before the leech field can begin.
No, I want to know how close the foundation can be laid to the drain lines or leech field or wherever i have to stop the foundation.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

necronomous wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 pm
woohooguy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:09 pm One final question... is your septic up to code, like 100 percent, fact?

Its up to code for house currently. But i have to draw up plans. And to do so i need to know how close I can get to the lines. My septic is on the side of my house. The first and shortest line curves behind my house. I will find the line and measure the proper distance away so i can do my drawings and measurements. And I am getting conflicting codes on the places I look. I am in Johnston county nc.
The more documentation you have, or can get, will help the planning. Maybe you have a state authority that can provide the septic plans for a fee as the town filed them with the state, or you may have to go to you local health/building department. Depending how stuck up they are, tread gently.

The current field, based on previous perc tests, may not be enough for the addition you are planning especially if it changes the number of full or half baths in the house, leave every reference of jacuzzi out of the plans. Its just a tub. Or even better, a bathroom sized walk in closet 2 that in no way will become a bathroom in the future.

You may have to perform another perc test, and if by chance the soil composition changed and isnt even suitable for your current square footage , congrats!!! You are now grandfathered and the local health authority cant impose hardship, but you cant build out anymore. Or sell the house, but maybe thats just Massachusetts.

All I'm saying is the more information you acquire quietly will greatly assist the planning and build in the future, depending what kind of community you are in...being in Mass I just laid out the usual Monday for construction planning.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:46 pm
woohooguy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 pm
disco.moon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:12 pm You're welcome unless you wanna gripe at me for making a shitty joke lolz
Let's start a company .
Edible Mondays and topless Fridays are mandatory.

:partydance:
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

dm's been a roll for weeks/ months :lol:
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

I'm guessing the county by-laws are not what you wanted to hear....
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 pm
You're home way too early to post your 2 cents.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

megman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17 pm I'm guessing the county by-laws are not what you wanted to hear....
It's not that. Its the codes I find are inconsistent or vague. And most of them state septic tank not lines or even field. The field sometimes says 20 feet, sometimes 10. I've even seen 5. And when I try to look on the county it's septic tank but not lines. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot. And how big is the drain field considered past the drain lines. Do I measure from the field or line? I just want specifics so I'm not having to tear this down.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

I'm in a vaguely similar situation. I live in an ancient neighborhood, we all have septic tanks except in the really newer sections near major roads. We're also in the county, not any city, so we're all grandfathered in. There are threats that if Orlando ever tries to annex our area, they'll pretty much immediately run sewer lines and require us to connect, they don't allow septic tanks except in very special cases. By the way, many of the older septic tanks are little more than concrete boxes with virtually no drain fields, and even older houses use septic cisterns, basically a lined hole in the ground with a lid on top, almost a latrine.

Anyway, damn are building codes hard to read! But I found this "Any building foundation 5 feet" from this site for a wastewater services company in West End NC. But I bet the local city or county code is going to distinguish other factors besides distance from foundation that may play on that simple statement of distance.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

megman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:18 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 pm
You're home way too early to post your 2 cents.
I don't even know what that means