Cold Cases

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Vanderglide
Forum Regular

Re: Cold Cases

Post by Vanderglide »

I listened to the “down the hill” podcast. it was really interesting, but I wish there was more...It’s hard to believe they haven’t caught Him yet, such a small community and he seems like he was very familiar with the area.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

I find you can't lose If you stick with basics. Either lead pipe or candlestick in the Billiard Room.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Jimmy Hoffa
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Vanderglide
Forum Regular

Post by Vanderglide »

disco.moon wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:19 am That is a great podcast! Thoughts on the JonBenet case? I've always leaked towards the intruder theory. I recent watched a newer documentary on her case and it shed more light on that theory.

I live in the Denver area, so it was pretty local for me. I just feel like the Boulder PD bumbled their way through that case, and basically fucked it up during the critical first few days. I went through a time where I thought the parents had something to do with it, but I don’t really feel that way anymore, and I’m not even really sure why...another one that blows me away that it wasn’t solved.
fouts
Forum God

Post by fouts »

disco.moon wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:18 am
Vanderglide wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 am
disco.moon wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:19 am That is a great podcast! Thoughts on the JonBenet case? I've always leaked towards the intruder theory. I recent watched a newer documentary on her case and it shed more light on that theory.

I live in the Denver area, so it was pretty local for me. I just feel like the Boulder PD bumbled their way through that case, and basically fucked it up during the critical first few days. I went through a time where I thought the parents had something to do with it, but I don’t really feel that way anymore, and I’m not even really sure why...another one that blows me away that it wasn’t solved.
The whole scene was fucked from the beginning. They had neighbors and friends in there and at one point one of the friends cleaned up the kitchen a little.
Joseph Patrick Kenda is a retired Colorado Springs Police Department detective lieutenant who was involved in 387 homicide cases over a 23-year career, solving 356, a closure rate of 92%. The attorney general asked that guy to look into the Ramsey case at the time he said 'no' Boulder PD fucked the crime scene up too much.Like missing the body on their 1st search.
nerd_alert
Knows the name of every naked chick

Post by nerd_alert »

disco.moon wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:10 pm Like many people, I'm a big true crime buff. I came across this interesting page about the most "famous" cold cases in America. The Delphi murders is the case that always stays with me, I wish they could catch a break in that case.
My cousin's son was sexually assaulted & murdered when I was in college. 30 years later they caught the guy through DNA. That's my cold case story.

Obviously, I'm leaving a lot of details out.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

The police are holding back too much information on The Delphi Murders. If more was known I think the case could be solved.
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

disco.moon wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:04 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:58 pm The police are holding back too much information on The Delphi Murders. If more was known I think the case could be solved.
I agree 100% about the police holding info. Do you know if any private investigators have done anything? It seems as if there's not many doc's or investigative shows on the case even. (Other than the podcast).
Most of the youtube true crime shows have at least covered the case. But the cops have not released anything more to report on. Amazing that not much of anything has leaked by now. Whatever "signature" was left by the killer (or killers) in my opinion might break the case.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

Have you listened to Payne Lindsay’s Up and Vanished podcast?
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Vanderglide wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 am

The ransom note tells me the family was involved, the note demanded the same amount of money the father got as a bonus that year, too coincidental for me.
wut?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

One theory is the dad was molesting Jonbenet and she was gonna talk so both parents decided to wack her than upset their wonderful life in Boulder.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

"The Murder of the Walker Family" in Osprey FL in 1959"

https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/ ... ly-florida

Possible tie-in between the two murderers of the Clutter family in Kansas made famous by the Truman Capote book "In Cold Blood". They were known to have driven down from Kansas to Florida, going thru Tallahassee south past Sarasota and Fort Myers then over to Miami. Then they somehow mysteriously drove from Miami to Las Vegas where they were caught. "Mysteriously" as there are no witnesses for that leg of their trip.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady

Post by QillerDaemon »

disco.moon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 pm
Should polygraphs even be a thing anymore? I never like it when a suspect is like "sure, I've got nothing to hide" and then they get scrutinized even more because of blood pressure or heart rate showed them to be "deceptive". And people who falsely admit to murders just to fuck with police, what douchebags. Considering the circumstances with the Osprey family, I wonder if police and family at this point would just conclude that Hickok and Smith did it.
No, polygraphs shouldn't be allowed. They're more of a lie than anything. A polygraph is only as effective as the belief on the parts of both the examiner and the examined that the exam can actually detect deceit. There are notorious ways to cheat a polygraph exam, and there are many ways perfectly innocent people get tricked during the exam. True story: I've had two polygraph exams done in my life, and I sadly failed both of them, and badly! The first was for a job in a record store when I was 18, and the examiner kidded with me afterwards that I even lied about my name and age. He just said he'd show the results as passing to the store. I didn't take that job, it just didn't site right with me about the whole deal.
Evil.Fkn.Mean,Nasty
Has a really kind, but cunty, heart

Post by Evil.Fkn.Mean,Nasty »

There was a great A&E doc about Jon Bennet.

*Spoiler Alert*

Basically they concluded that the older jealous son hit her on the head with a flashlight after a fight and the parents did the cover up so they wouldnt lose both kids. Pretty convincing. Enough that the older brother sued them.

We have a similar flashlight in our house. 18in long. D batteries. We call it the "Jon Bennet".
Evil.Fkn.Mean,Nasty
Has a really kind, but cunty, heart

Post by Evil.Fkn.Mean,Nasty »

disco.moon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:12 pm
Evil.Fkn.Mean,Nasty wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:37 pm There was a great A&E doc about Jon Bennet.

*Spoiler Alert*

Basically they concluded that the older jealous son hit her on the head with a flashlight after a fight and the parents did the cover up so they wouldnt lose both kids. Pretty convincing. Enough that the older brother sued them.

We have a similar flashlight in our house. 18in long. D batteries. We call it the "Jon Bennet".
I mean, I guess I could see that scenario, but wouldn't others speak up to attest to his jealousy? Like at least an aunt or neighbor. I didn't know he sued the parents! If they as a family did it together, they are fucking really good secret keepers. The "JonBenet" lol.

QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady

Post by QillerDaemon »

disco.moon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:10 pm
More people should just refuse. Either way the police are going to be suspicious whether one fails or denies the damn thing.

A polygraph for a record store job? Like, what were the questions? "Name all professions of Steve Miller"?. I wouldn't go near one. I have such physical reactions to things already; stressful, nervous, excited, happy, all feelings change my blood pressure and heart rate to such a degree, I'd fail on the most simple questions I'm sure.
It was for a stocking job at the old Cactus Records in Houston in '79. It was required for employment per management, no way around it. *And* I had to pay the $50 for the exam. Texas a few years later only permitted polygraph exams for high security jobs, not for regular jobs like a stocking job. The questions were relatively generic, if I remember right. "Have you ever stolen from a job?" "Have you been dishonest with your supervisor?" The examiner had already noticed how nervous I was, and chuckled after the exam, telling me from the results I was probably being deceitful about my name and age. Doing exams like this was his basic bread and butter, but he didn't like seeing people denied jobs just because of bad exam results like this.

When it comes to cops and being investigated at their precinct, you are in *their* territory and have all the control. It's never friendly, and it's never safe for you to be there without proper legal representation. The cops may try to frame it as "don't you trust us?", but they are entitled to lie if it will further the investigation. *You* cannot lie to them, but they can tell you anything truthful or not if it will get you to open up in the direction they want the interview to go. Sure, agree to a polygraph, but have a lawyer there with you while it happens.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

You cannot be forced into taking a polygraph, and in no way will it benefit you. Don't talk to law enforcement at all, do not let them into your house or vehicle.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Police Owe Nothing To Man Whose Home They Blew Up, Appeals Court Says

An armed shoplifting suspect in Colorado barricaded himself in a stranger's suburban Denver home in June 2015. In an attempt to force the suspect out, law enforcement blew up walls with explosives, fired tear gas and drove a military-style armored vehicle through the property's doors.

After an hours-long siege, the home was left with shredded walls and blown-out windows. In some parts of the interior, the wood framing was exposed amid a mountain of debris.

A federal appeals court in Denver ruled this week that the homeowner, who had no connection to the suspect, isn't entitled to be compensated, because the police were acting to preserve the safety of the public.

"Under no circumstances in this country should the government be able to blow up your house and render a family homeless," Leo Lech, the house's owner, told NPR. "This family was thrown out into the street without any recourse."

Lawyers for Lech argued that the police's destruction of his home was a violation of the Constitution's Takings Clause, which says private property cannot be taken for public use without "just compensation." But the problem with that argument, the appeals court ruled, is that courts have long held that police cannot be on the hook for property damage caused in the process of trying to make an arrest.

"As unfair as it may seem, the Takings Clause simply does not entitle all aggrieved owners to recompense," the appeals court wrote.

The suspect in the case, who was wanted in connection with shoplifting, was taken into custody after a 19-hour standoff. More than 100 officers from agencies around the Denver area responded to the incident.

Authorities say the suspect stole two belts and a shirt from a Walmart. After he left the store, police say, he broke into Lech's house for protection and was firing at officers with a handgun. Eventually, SWAT officers entered the home and apprehended him.

Left in the wake of the arrest, though, was a Greenwood Village, Colo., home that looked as if it were collateral damage in a war zone.

"The interior of the Lech Home was a mass of debris and destroyed belongings from the projectiles launched into the home by the Defendants. Chemical munitions or other projectiles were stuck in the walls. The Lech Home was completely uninhabitable and its condition posed a danger to anyone entering the home," one of Lech's attorneys, David Williams, wrote in a federal lawsuit filed in August 2016.

The back side of Leo Lech's former home, which Lech razed and rebuilt after police damaged the property when a gunman barricade himself in the home.
Kathryn Scott Osler/Denver Post via Getty Images
At the time of the episode, Lech was renting the home to his son, John Lech, who lived there with his girlfriend, her 9-year-old son and two dogs. The boy, who was home alone when the gunman entered, was able to get out of the house safely. The family members all moved in with Lech until they found another place to stay.

The city of Greenwood Village condemned Lech's home. It was completely razed to a vacant lot, and Lech said he has spent around $400,000 rebuilding it — not to mention the $28,000 in legal fees he also incurred as he pursued compensation from the city and police.

City officials paid Lech's family $5,000 in compensation, a sum that Lech's lawyer deemed "unconscionable."

Leo Lech stands on the street in front of his home in 2015. A fence had been placed around the home's perimeter after the police destroyed the property in a standoff with a gunman who broke into Lech's house.
Kathryn Scott Osler/Denver Post via Getty Images
"There needs to be a line drawn for what police departments can do and what they need to do to compensate citizens for this kind of damage," Lech said. "I didn't want to sue anyone for millions. I just wanted fair market value for my house."

Melissa Gallegos, a spokeswoman for the city of Greenwood Village, sent NPR a statement saying the damage done to the house was necessary to "get the gunman out without any loss of life" and referring to the standoff as a police emergency.

"What Mr. Lech also failed to tell you was that he chose on his own to demolish the house rather than repair it, repour the foundation that wasn't damaged and built a bigger better house where the old one stood," said Gallegos. In her message, she included a photograph of Lech's new home.

Leo Lech's rebuilt home after police destroyed his former house in a standoff with a gunman in 2015.
Provided by the city of Greenwood Village, Colo.
If Lech has his way, his legal battle is not over. Another lawyer for Lech, Rachel Maxam, said she hopes the U.S. Supreme Court will agree to review the case.

"If there was ever a case they would hear, this would be it. There are a lot of interesting issues involved," Maxam told NPR.

The case turns on legal technicalities about whether police acting in their official capacity can ever be seen as exerting eminent domain — when the government seizes private property for public use.

The appeals court, affirming the lower court, ruled that police attempting to make an arrest cannot be considered eminent domain, even when a property is severely damaged.

In fact, the court stated, when police are performing their public safety duties, they cannot be "burdened with the condition" that they pay for property damage.

The court noted that if police officers "willfully or wantonly" destroy property, they can be sued in a civil tort case. Lech tried to pursue that legal argument in Colorado state court, but he was not successful.

Lech said he will leave the legal quibbling to the attorneys, but he thinks his case illustrates a principle that should not generate much controversy.

"Whether you call it eminent domain or whatever, you can't be blowing up people's houses," he said.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/30/77478861 ... court-says
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

disco.moon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:21 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:19 pm You cannot be forced into taking a polygraph, and in no way will it benefit you. Don't talk to law enforcement at all, do not let them into your house or vehicle.
Well I know that now lol. The day I got in trouble, I could have told them to fuck off. But, I was alone and intimidated. I was always afraid of them, now I'm still intimidated, but I know so much more. You know the story, but I don't wanna say it here ;)
I do know the story, and that comment was not directed at you. It just cannot be said enough. I know you know what to do now.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Now I'm watching Live PD, god these people are stupid
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

CaptQuint wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:46 pm Now I'm watching Live PD, god these people are stupid
Anytime I watch any cop show I want to smack the people on the show. The cops are not your friends.

Are you guilty? Get a lawyer.

Are you innocent? Get a lawyer.
wut?
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

And shut the fuck up too.
wut?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Wut wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:40 pm And shut the fuck up too.
Don't leave a big bag of cocaine in plain view on the center console. YOU'RE ON COKE HOW LAZY ARE YOU?