Geographic Oddities

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Geographic Oddities

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Go to the southern point of Canada. Draw an East-West line. There are more Americans that live north of that line than the entire population of Canada.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Re: Geographic Oddities

There are 4 time zones in the mainland US. Due to quirks on the time zone borders, people that live in Pensacola, Florida and Jordan Valley, Oregon are only 1 hour apart.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 am There are 4 time zones in the mainland US. Due to quirks on the time zone borders, people that live in Pensacola, Florida and Jordan Valley, Oregon are only 1 hour apart.
that's pretty interesting.

i heard something not long ago, maybe read it on here, that there is an island out in the pacific that is so remote, that if you are on that island you are farther from any other humanity than if you were on the International Space Station.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 am There are 4 time zones in the mainland US. Due to quirks on the time zone borders, people that live in Pensacola, Florida and Jordan Valley, Oregon are only 1 hour apart.
There is also the problem of why El Paso TX is in Mountain Time, but north of El Paso the entire state of New Mexico is also in Mountain Time, yet New Mexico's eastern half sits over a part of Texas that still is in Central Time. (Did that make sense?)

Also:
Alaska’s Aleutian Islands arc right up to the edge of the Western Hemisphere at the 180th Meridian making Amatignak Island (179o West), Alaska the westernmost point in the U.S. Longitudinally, Alaska also has the easternmost point, Semisopochnoi Island (179o East), as the Aleutian Islands cross the 180º Meridian, into the Eastern Hemisphere. That makes Alaska the most northern, western and eastern state, longitudinally, in the U.S.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:58 am

i heard something not long ago, maybe read it on here, that there is an island out in the pacific that is so remote, that if you are on that island you are farther from any other humanity than if you were on the International Space Station.
One I found interesting. If you live in Denver and wanted to fly to New Delhi, India you can fly either east or west. It's the same distance.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Reno Nevada is further west than Los Angeles Ca. The closest point in the US to the continent of Africa is Maine.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:19 am Reno Nevada is further west than Los Angeles Ca. The closest point in the US to the continent of Africa is Maine.
fuck. those can't be right. :lol:

although, i'm sure they are.
wood
Forum Newbie

Post by wood »

IIRC El Paso is closer to the Pacific Ocean than it is the Texas/Louisiana border.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:21 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:19 am Reno Nevada is further west than Los Angeles Ca. The closest point in the US to the continent of Africa is Maine.

Google away.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

disco.moon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:22 am

Awww man, I wanna go there!
I'm guessing you'll have to pack in all your supplies. Agree, I would love to go there.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

wood wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:23 am IIRC El Paso is closer to the Pacific Ocean than it is the Texas/Louisiana border.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:25 am

I'm guessing you'll have to pack in all your supplies. Agree, I would love to go there.
if i remember the story right, there are either people still living there, or abandoned ruins of people that lived there in the past.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:21 am

And of course I've already mentioned years ago that when you enter the Panama Canal on the Gulf of Mexico side you are further West than when you exit on the Pacific.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

disco.moon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:28 am

Matches, hatchet, mosquito netting, hat, sat radio/phone, knife, blanket, extra socks, bug spray, filtered straw, first aid kit, rope, what else.... can I bring a friend?
Screw that- 1/2 pound of weed and 5 lighters. :lol:
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

toilet paper? beer? a rifle? and i think there is some kind of shit that you can add to any kind of water that disinfects it so you can drink it.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i remember reading a story about Teddy Roosevelt planning a journey to map the Amazon (like the first civilized human to travel it). Anyway, he brought so much shit with him that it nearly killed half the guides and animals they had to carry him and his shit on the trip. I think they ended up having to dump most of it along the way. this trip was so remote that it was easier for the local tribesmen to build canoes out of trees in place than to carry them.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:28 am

if i remember the story right, there are either people still living there, or abandoned ruins of people that lived there in the past.
What island is that? Has to be Polynesian. I'm think that boatload hundreds of year ago should have kept sailing.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

disco.moon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:31 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am
disco.moon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:28 am

Matches, hatchet, mosquito netting, hat, sat radio/phone, knife, blanket, extra socks, bug spray, filtered straw, first aid kit, rope, what else.... can I bring a friend?
Screw that- 1/2 pound of weed and 5 lighters. :lol:
You're right, I'm going to that island with Wilson.
Take a boat- don't fly. I have a bad feeling about that.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:34 am
Animal wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:28 am

What island is that? Has to be Polynesian. I'm think that boatload hundreds of year ago should have kept sailing.
Point Nemo, the most remote location on Earth, is so far removed from civilization that the closest humans to that location at any given time are likely to be astronauts.

and, no humans ever there.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Not counting Mexico, what is the closest country due south of the continental United States?

Canada.
Windsor, Canada is about 1 mile due south of Detroit across the Detroit River.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

fuck, Maine is about 700 miles closer to Africa than Florida is. That's insane.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:43 am Not counting Mexico, what is the closest country due south of the continental United States?

Canada.
shit.

what is the one about the Panama Canal? WHen you are at the entrance on the Atlantic side you are west of where you will be when you exit on the Pacific side?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:33 am i remember reading a story about Teddy Roosevelt planning a journey to map the Amazon (like the first civilized human to travel it). Anyway, he brought so much shit with him that it nearly killed half the guides and animals they had to carry him and his shit on the trip. I think they ended up having to dump most of it along the way. this trip was so remote that it was easier for the local tribesmen to build canoes out of trees in place than to carry them.
Yeah, I've read about that. Actually the "first civilized human to travel it" couldn't be more wrong by almost 400 years. After Pizarro and the conquistadors conquered the Inca's around 1530, he sent an expedition East from Peru looking for the rumored gold "El Dorado". Passed over the Andes, discovered the headwaters of the Amazon and started floating down. The expedition got separated at some dangerous rapids. Most headed back to Peru, the rest floated down the entire Amazon to the Atlantic and caught a Portuguese ship to Spain. They estimated the population along the Amazon they traveled at 2-4 million. 200 years later it was deserted and we know why.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 am
CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:43 am Not counting Mexico, what is the closest country due south of the continental United States?

Canada.
shit.

what is the one about the Panama Canal? WHen you are at the entrance on the Atlantic side you are west of where you will be when you exit on the Pacific side?
I just posted that on page 1
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:58 am
Animal wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:33 am i remember reading a story about Teddy Roosevelt planning a journey to map the Amazon (like the first civilized human to travel it). Anyway, he brought so much shit with him that it nearly killed half the guides and animals they had to carry him and his shit on the trip. I think they ended up having to dump most of it along the way. this trip was so remote that it was easier for the local tribesmen to build canoes out of trees in place than to carry them.
Yeah, I've read about that. Actually the "first civilized human to travel it" couldn't be more wrong by almost 400 years. After Pizarro and the conquistadors conquered the Inca's around 1530, he sent an expedition East from Peru looking for the rumored gold "El Dorado". Passed over the Andes, discovered the headwaters of the Amazon and started floating down. The expedition got separated at some dangerous rapids. Most headed back to Peru, the rest floated down the entire Amazon to the Atlantic and caught a Portuguese ship to Spain. They estimated the population along the Amazon they traveled at 2-4 million. 200 years later it was deserted and we know why.
maybe he wanted to be the first to map it. i know his plan was to be the first to do something with the Amazon. I'm sure he knew more about the history of the river than either you or me.