golf

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Vanderglide
Forum Regular

Re: golf

Post by Vanderglide »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:02 pm
B-Tender wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:09 pm Hitting it straight still wins the hole.
This is the correct answer.

2 friends and myself used to play match play against an old scratch guy, all he used was a 7 iron
This is what Harvey Penick liked to do (of little red book fame) Great little book if you’re a golfer
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Regarding all the expensive shit people buy to supposedly improve their game.

Lee Trevino supposedly supplemented his caddy money by betting people he could beat them with a taped-up soda bottle as his only club.

P.S. There's no substitute for god-given talent
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

FSchmertz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:56 pm Regarding all the expensive shit people buy to supposedly improve their game.

Lee Trevino supposedly supplemented his caddy money by betting people he could beat them with a taped-up soda bottle as his only club.

P.S. There's no substitute for god-given talent
Trevino started off as a hustler at a course in Dallas (I think the course was LB Houston). I met an old guy one time that knew him pretty well.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

i have played golf with some real scumbag hustlers in the day. the problem is that its usually way too late when you figure out you've been hustled.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

bought a used Titleist ts3 driver off ebay and some new ecco golf shoes. tomorrow i will hit a bucket and see how it goes. ill probably spend an hour on the putting green and chipping.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

pork wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:19 pm i used to hit prov-1 balls. i understand they are much better now but some other brands are longer etc. i am thinking about ebay for a new/used driver. i have a taylor made but if i can get something with more pop i am ok with buying a new one. my irons are blades so i am guessing i can get a more forgiving club. i will throw these old fuckers out...i have zero pride in hitting a cavity backed club. back in the day it was frowned upon.
Blades...

One shot out of 10 is sooooo sweet.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

I have some cavity back Pings. They’re just ok.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

i am not expecting great things at first. when i stopped playing i was a 7 handicap and playing like a 20 because of my injuries. i actually started hating the game so it was a much needed break. i am betting ill be able to shoot in the 90's out of the gate but i may be over shooting it. if my injuries limit my swing ill move to the white tees and see how it goes. i have became what i used to hate...a shitty golfer. my ego wont let me be there for long. ill either get better fast because of hard work or i will not play.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

I get that, exactly why I quit, I could not put the time in to maintain the shooting that I expected, that I wanted. At that point it seemed like a waste of time and money, and the frustrations were not worth it.
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast
Interests: Breasts

Post by Who »

I’m on a golf course 12 out of 14 days, I hope that helps.

Ps. If you want to be a cool kid, get yourself one of those yardage finder binocular thingy
A Legend In His Own Mind

All Posts Fair & Balanced
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

San Francisco golf club has no yardage markers and does not allow measuring devices.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Charliesheen wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:28 am San Francisco golf club has no yardage markers and does not allow measuring devices.
is that so there is no discrimination by the longer holes against the shorter ones?
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Who wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:27 am I’m on a golf course 12 out of 14 days, I hope that helps.

Ps. If you want to be a cool kid, get yourself one of those yardage finder binocular thingy
My brother has a wristwatch gps distance guide, Garmin I think. It’s very cool.
wut?
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Animal wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:40 am
Charliesheen wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:28 am San Francisco golf club has no yardage markers and does not allow measuring devices.
is that so there is no discrimination by the longer holes against the shorter ones?
Some purist crap. But it does speed up play too.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

Who wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:27 am I’m on a golf course 12 out of 14 days, I hope that helps.

id rather blow someone than use one of those.
Last edited by pork on Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

Stanford has a marker on the first hole that even if you pipe one when you to your ball the yard markers say...just hit you cant reach
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

if someone puts head covers on their irons i immediately hate them and talk shitt the rest of the day
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

well.. i went to the range. My goal was to stretch out and hit soft shots and just see how it goes. muscle memory kicked in and i couldnt swing slow. fucking a...my arm is super swollen and sore. i totally over did it. for some reason i topped half the bucket or hit them on the hosel. i purred a lot of shots but it was very inconsistent. i went from having a draw to slice /fade. i hit some bombs with my driver and 3 wood but it was maybe 20% of my over all shots. i dont think my arm is healed enough to go hit balls again for a while. fuck. i am going to try really hard not to obsess over it. when i lived at the country club i played 250 rounds a year...for 12 years. the days i didn't play i usually hit balls for a couple of hours. there are a few things that are different. i basically didnt play at all in my 40's...i drank excessively...i chewed a can of skoal constantly while i played. i need to find a way to hit balls without injury and get over the other things i did that were parts of my routine. the chew thing was a big part of my golf experience. ugggg. this is going to be tough
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Are you doing physical therapy? Should you have asked a doctor if swinging is a good idea?
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

my surgeon said do what you can.. i probably need a dr to really look at it. i honestly think it was a really bad idea.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

pork wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 pm well.. i went to the range. My goal was to stretch out and hit soft shots and just see how it goes. muscle memory kicked in and i couldnt swing slow. fucking a...my arm is super swollen and sore. i totally over did it. for some reason i topped half the bucket or hit them on the hosel. i purred a lot of shots but it was very inconsistent. i went from having a draw to slice /fade. i hit some bombs with my driver and 3 wood but it was maybe 20% of my over all shots. i dont think my arm is healed enough to go hit balls again for a while. fuck. i am going to try really hard not to obsess over it. when i lived at the country club i played 250 rounds a year...for 12 years. the days i didn't play i usually hit balls for a couple of hours. there are a few things that are different. i basically didnt play at all in my 40's...i drank excessively...i chewed a can of skoal constantly while i played. i need to find a way to hit balls without injury and get over the other things i did that were parts of my routine. the chew thing was a big part of my golf experience. ugggg. this is going to be tough
i would think that having a fade would be symptomatic of one of your arms being a little timid (sore). If you are in the process of a swing and you get a little gun shy right before contact, i would think that the tendency would be to leave the face of the club open. an open face would also tend to increase the chances of hitting the hosel.

the good news is that if you did hit a few good shots with the woods, then the swing is still there and its just a matter of healing whatever you have wrong.

If you are hitting blades, then your subconscious knows that your arms are going to feel any kind of a missed shot. So the irons would be much more likely to have problems if your arm is sore. That's my 2 cents.

next time, rent a set of cavity backs and see if you notice a difference. I would suspect you will.
Whackov
Christ, get a life already!

Post by Whackov »

pork wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm my surgeon said do what you can.. i probably need a dr to really look at it. i honestly think it was a really bad idea.
Golf can be surprisingly tough on your body because of the fact that your are torquing and twisting so many body parts.

Right now, I think that, in addition to physical issues, your mind is your biggest problem. It sounds like you are used to being able to crush the ball. Your mind is still in that mode but you need to let your body catch up with your mind. Tell your mind to shut the fuck up and let your body ease into it.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

its all solid advice. my mind certainly takes over my body. i have no idea why i even took my driver out. i cant half swing a driver. gotta let the big dog eat.
Degas
Forum God

Post by Degas »

Yeah I’m the same, feel like I have to smash the skin off the ball every time when driving, it does me no favours. With a half swing I can get it the right direction and 75% of the distance, but no, I have to twat it like a ginger stepkid who just spilt my beer.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

I saw an instruction vid by Jack on how swinging harder gets you nowhere.

I had a dozen balls engraved, “Don’t swing hard.”

It helped until they were all sprayed OB and out of reach.