Would you fly around the Moon?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Would you fly around the Moon?

Post by Animal »

Stapes wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:19 am We always think the moon is kind of close but the reality is it is way, way, way the fuck out there........thank God some people paid attention in Math Class and skipped smoking weed out under the bleachers like some of us.

i learned one of the most interesting trivia watching a Stephen Hawking documentary. The perspective of the moon to the sun is almost an exact proportion to their size. Meaning if you know the distance to the moon and the diameter of the moon, then if you know the distance to the sun you can calculate the diameter of the sun. To show that he made a model of the earth, moon and sun. and he put the earth and moon at the correct distance relative to each other. then to locate the sun, you take the sun and start walking away with it until standing at earth, the moon completely covers the sun (like an eclipse). Once they are the exact same size, then that's the distance to the sun.

If that makes sense.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Stapes wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:19 am We always think the moon is kind of close but the reality is it is way, way, way the fuck out there........thank God some people paid attention in Math Class and skipped smoking weed out under the bleachers like some of us.

237,000 miles is the average. That's the room number in the Shining.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
spudoc
Most Likely To Have a Neckbeard

Post by spudoc »

megman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:40 am

The room number is 237,000? That must be one big ass hotel.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

spudoc wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 am
megman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:40 am

The room number is 237,000? That must be one big ass hotel.
LOL, ya it's 237.

There is a documentary aboot the Shining called Room 237, and Kubrick and others connected with the movie have no input on it. It goes into depth aboot the symbology in the movie.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

It's been done.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
WarmBidetWater
Forum God

Post by WarmBidetWater »

Animal wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:07 pm i am a little surprised that trip takes 3 days. Doing the math, for the trip to be 3 days that's averaging 3320 mph. The international space station travels at 17,136 mph. So, its going 5 times slower than the space station.
The ISS is in an earth orbit and the SpaceX rocket won't be. The effect of planetary mass makes a big difference.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

WarmBidetWater wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:13 am
Animal wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:07 pm i am a little surprised that trip takes 3 days. Doing the math, for the trip to be 3 days that's averaging 3320 mph. The international space station travels at 17,136 mph. So, its going 5 times slower than the space station.
The ISS is in an earth orbit and the SpaceX rocket won't be. The effect of planetary mass makes a big difference.
that's interesting. 5 times the difference, evidently. i guess that's why that "slingshot" idea works so well. i just had no idea it was that dramatic but i remember that scene in the Apollo 13 movie when they used that to speed up the trip home (I think).
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Animal wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:29 am

i learned one of the most interesting trivia watching a Stephen Hawking documentary. The perspective of the moon to the sun is almost an exact proportion to their size. Meaning if you know the distance to the moon and the diameter of the moon, then if you know the distance to the sun you can calculate the diameter of the sun. To show that he made a model of the earth, moon and sun. and he put the earth and moon at the correct distance relative to each other. then to locate the sun, you take the sun and start walking away with it until standing at earth, the moon completely covers the sun (like an eclipse). Once they are the exact same size, then that's the distance to the sun.

If that makes sense.
It's one of the reasons the Earth may be unique at least locally. No other kind of known combination exists anywhere to make eclipses like here .
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

We're your calculations based on a static Earth to moon relationship? Or did you account that you need to aim where the moon will be when you get there?
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Antknot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:47 am
We're your calculations based on a static Earth to moon relationship? Or did you account that you need to aim where the moon will be when you get there?
ah. :lol: Yeah, I just did miles per hour. Fuck, in 3 days the moon would have orbited 3 times so it would be back to where you started. But, the answer is , no, i did not do that. And I am sure that would make a big difference. I also didn't account for the fact that the moon orbit is not an exact circle with the distance always being the exact same number.
jsdspif
Tells *VERY* interesting (but true) stories.

Post by jsdspif »

Funny the moon should be mentioned. Before I got my driver's license I had to ride the school bus (NO,not the "short" bus) so I built this little 2 foot square shelter thing to stand in while waiting for the bus. I called it the lunar module because I would smoke dope in it and get really high while waiting for the bus. Years later i started partying with some guys and one of them was a guy that lived down the street and rode my bus. I told him "remember that thing I stood in,I called that the lunar module because I'd get so stoned in there" and he said "I knew that,I think everyone on the bus knew it" I said How? and he said "because when you stepped out of the thing there was a huge cloud of smoke and when you got on the bus the whole thing smelled like reefer". Kind of like Spiccoli getting out of the van. There's also a story about me getting out of my truck like that when the chief of police and assistant principal were standing nearby,but that's a long story we'll save for another day.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:44 pm
ah. :lol: Yeah, I just did miles per hour. Fuck, in 3 days the moon would have orbited 3 times so it would be back to where you started. But, the answer is , no, i did not do that. And I am sure that would make a big difference. I also didn't account for the fact that the moon orbit is not an exact circle with the distance always being the exact same number.
Actually the earth rotates is daily making the moon seem to move faster than it is. The moon takes 28 days to circle the earth.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

pork wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:21 pm i am going to go ahead and say fuck no.

astronauts train for the shit and its miserable for them. Just imagine if they don't die on the way up or back. it would be fucking terrible. the body just cant go from normal to 3500 miles an hour. my guess is they all die midflight and if they dont they will hope they did. fuck that. i am not ever going to jump in a spaceship built by some nerd that thinks its ok to take a private rocket ship to the moon...i barley want to drive in one of his shitty cars.
I hear ya, buddy! I can barely take the kiddie rides at Universal Studios. I would not survive the forces it takes to get into orbit. :|
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
spudoc

Post by spudoc »

By your calculations would the sun also orbit earth once a day?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Astronomy thread. 'sigh"
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

spudoc wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm
no, by my calculations the earth would rotate once a day and orbit the sun every year.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

disco.moon wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:22 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:58 pm Astronomy thread. 'sigh"
This is boring to you considering your normal intellectual conversations? What's your sign??
He's currently preparing another cell phone thread that will blow our minds !!!
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Antknot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:57 pm
Actually the earth rotates is daily making the moon seem to move faster than it is. The moon takes 28 days to circle the earth.
so, putting some actual thought into this, it seems that the plan would be to wait until the earth's rotation puts the launch site sort of under the location the moon would be in 3 days (if that's the time frame). So that at least once you leave earth you are heading close to the right direction (least distance between point A and B). If that were the case, then the distance from the launch site to the moon would be back to the distance from earth to the moon (237,000 miles?) You wouldn't have to aim some longer distance to account for the moon moving, you would negate all of that by picking your launch time.
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

Fuck, I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. I’m too lazy to move it.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
spudoc

Post by spudoc »

Animal wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:06 pm
spudoc wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm
no, by my calculations the earth would rotate once a day and orbit the sun every year.
You can see my confusion? You think the moon orbits the earth daily. Must be that Texas common sense that you rely on so much.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Apollo 11 set off for the moon at 25,000mph, losing speed until it reached the point where the moon's gravity was stronger than the earth's. It still had to do a slow down burn when it got there, because you have to enter lunar orbit, which is only about 4k. If you had enough fuel you'd burn somewhere from a half to two thirds of the way there then flip the ship and burn back toward earth to slow down enough to orbit the destination.
This is why aliens use portals.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

spudoc wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:33 pm You can see my confusion? You think the moon orbits the earth daily. Must be that Texas common sense that you rely on so much.
you are a great addition to the board. thanks so much for these contributions.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

This is boring to you considering your normal intellectual conversations? What's your sign??
Sagitaurus, I think. Is that the one that follows Poseidon?
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

disco.moon wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:54 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:41 pm
Sagitaurus, I think. Is that the one that follows Poseidon?
OH FFS.
It is Sunday. :lol: