Movies on the surface that seemed like it would be boring but turned out to be amazing.

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

spudoc
Most Likely To Have a Neckbeard

Re: Movies on the surface that seemed like it would be boring but turned out to be amazing.

Post by spudoc »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:20 pm
spudoc wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:21 pm
hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:47 pm Little Big Man
I have tried on several occasions to make it through this movie. But it just bores the absolute living crap out of me.
Yeah, I get that, it is long.
There’s that and I’ve always struggled with most anything Dustin Hoffman is in. I think he’s a bit of an overacting hack.
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Re: Movies on the surface that seemed like it would be boring but turned out to be amazing.

Post by HighNDry »

spudoc wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:27 pm
I have tried on several occasions to make it through this movie. But it just bores the absolute living crap out of me.
There’s that and I’ve always struggled with most anything Dustin Hoffman is in. I think he’s a bit of an overacting hack.
I can see that. I liked him in Papillon. And his portrayal of CTC in Rain Man was pretty spot on.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

HighNDry wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:53 pm
I can see that. I liked him in Papillon. And his portrayal of CTC in Rain Man was pretty spot on.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

spudoc wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:27 pm I think he’s a bit of an overacting hack.
So that is why he was so good in Rainman. He was able to go full retard?
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

HighNDry wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:53 pm
:lol: I need to read the whole thread before commenting next time.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

BigRedRetard wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:09 pm
Burn1dwn wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:05 pm
spudoc wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:27 pm I think he’s a bit of an overacting hack.
So that is why he was so good in Rainman. He was able to go full retard?
He sucked in Rainman. He just sucks.
I was joking. I can't stand Cruise or Hoffman. Except:

Vanilla Sky

Which you can add to this list.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

My favorite actress is Bo Derek. I thought she did an amazing job connecting with the deep emotional struggles of Jenny Hanley in 10.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Out of the Furnace. Not quite Mystic River level acting but pretty close.
Evil.Fkn.Mean,Nasty
Has a really kind, but cunty, heart

Post by Evil.Fkn.Mean,Nasty »

I pretty much hate Will Ferrell. Same character in every movie. Over acts. Blah blah blah.

So when the GF (now wife) wanted to watch Stranger Than Fiction (2006) , I balked.

It is now on my top 10 of fav movies. Ferrell plays it straight. It is not a comedy. But has lollz.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Hyperv12 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:49 pm
disco.moon wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:32 pm
Stapes wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:34 pm
Hyperv12 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:48 pm
disco.moon wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:41 pm
Hyperv12 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:24 pmStill Alice.
That looks sad.
It is, I wasn’t expecting much but loved it and cried like a baby.
Fag. 😜
It is a weird place to come out.
Yeah, central Texas is the favourite place I understand. :D
How did I get involved in this discussion?
I was just cutting out my foot caĺusses with my Bowie knife
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:23 am
Hyperv12 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:49 pm
disco.moon wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:32 pm
Stapes wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:34 pm
Hyperv12 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:48 pm
disco.moon wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:41 pm

That looks sad.
It is, I wasn’t expecting much but loved it and cried like a baby.
Fag. 😜
It is a weird place to come out.
Yeah, central Texas is the favourite place I understand. :D
How did I get involved in this discussion?
Got fired already eh?
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

disco.moon wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:26 am
Just seemed a strange comment from hyper. You know coming from a country where the highlight of the social season is grown men standing around in kilt dresses. I hear Stapes was mad not getting an invite.
peterosehaircut
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by peterosehaircut »

disco.moon wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:55 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:39 am
Just seemed a strange comment from hyper. You know coming from a country where the highlight of the social season is grown men standing around in kilt dresses. I hear Stapes was mad not getting an invite.
Bro, you're the one with the toe knife.
He really needs to quit drinking, obviously he's killing brain cells faster than they can be replaced at this point.
Hyperv12
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by Hyperv12 »

Laddie, there are only 2 seasons in Scotland. June & Winter.
Gunzen
Still working on that career as a Famous Author!

Post by Gunzen »

Going for Being There tonight.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Hyperv12 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:30 am
Laddie, there are only 2 seasons in Scotland. June & Winter.
We have 6 months of Winter and 6 months of crappy snowmobiling. 8-)
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Cyberhonky
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by Cyberhonky »

I avoided 'the patriot' (mel gibson) for a lot of years because I thought it looked shitfully boring. Finally sat down and watched it and thought it was great.

I also avoided watching Armageddon because it looked fuckin terrible.I was right about that one though ;)
Vote for Pedro
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

Cyberhonky wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:42 am I avoided 'the patriot' (mel gibson) for a lot of years because I thought it looked shitfully boring. Finally sat down and watched it and thought it was great.

I also avoided watching Armageddon because it looked fuckin terrible.I was right about that one though ;)
The Patriot is basically Braveheart but set during the The Revolutionary War. I think the same guy wrote them both. Armageddon has the dumbest premise of any movie in history.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

HighNDry wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:13 pm
Cyberhonky wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:42 am I avoided 'the patriot' (mel gibson) for a lot of years because I thought it looked shitfully boring. Finally sat down and watched it and thought it was great.

The Patriot is basically Braveheart but set during the The Revolutionary War. I think the same guy wrote them both. Armageddon has the dumbest premise of any movie in history.
I had to look up Armageddon- couldn't remember it. Yeah, agree the dumbest ever.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

The Patriot is basically Braveheart but set during the The Revolutionary War. I think the same guy wrote them both.
Both The Patriot and Braveheart are both excellent films to watch, as long as you don't expect much more from them than they're both action films that are also historical fiction period pieces. Either of them has almost exactly 0.0001% actual historical facts between them both put together.

I can't say a thing about Armageddon since I never watched it, and have no desire to. It does seem like a difficult movie to sit thru.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

QillerDaemon wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:30 pm

The Patriot is basically Braveheart but set during the The Revolutionary War. I think the same guy wrote them both.
Both The Patriot and Braveheart are both excellent films to watch, as long as you don't expect much more from them than they're both action films that are also historical fiction period pieces. Either of them has almost exactly 0.0001% actual historical facts between them both put together.

I can't say a thing about Armageddon since I never watched it, and have no desire to. It does seem like a difficult movie to sit thru.
Mel Gibson is notorious for making films almost totally devoid of actual historic accuracy. Braveheart, for example. Forget that kilts didn't come around for hundreds of years later, the battle scene where he defeats the English they called the battle of "Stirling" and is set on some big battle field. In fact it's called the Battle for "Stirling Bridge" as the whole battle took place around a stone bridge. Throw in "Apocalypto" where the main figure is miraculously saved twice in 24 hours by a once in a hundreds year total solar eclipse and Cortez (or somebody) landing on shore and I think you get the picture.
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

If you completely turn your brain off and watch Armageddon it is an enjoyable action flick. The second, and I mean the second, you start to think about the plot, you’ll be like “what the fuck am I watching?”
-Mitch Hedberg
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

HighNDry wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 pm

If you completely turn your brain off and watch Armageddon it is an enjoyable action flick. The second, and I mean the second, you start to think about the plot, you’ll be like “what the fuck am I watching?”
It's kind of hard from the very beginning when you are trying to figure out what company would actually send out a bunch of old farts to mine an asteroid. Nothing about it made sense.