Movies on the surface that seemed like it would be boring but turned out to be amazing.

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Movies on the surface that seemed like it would be boring but turned out to be amazing.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Did I mention Galaxy Quest?
Hyperv12
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Re: Movies on the surface that seemed like it would be boring but turned out to be amazing.

Post by Hyperv12 »

QillerDaemon wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:30 pm
HighNDry wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:13 pm
Cyberhonky wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:42 am I avoided 'the patriot' (mel gibson) for a lot of years because I thought it looked shitfully boring. Finally sat down and watched it and thought it was great.

I also avoided watching Armageddon because it looked fuckin terrible.I was right about that one though ;)
The Patriot is basically Braveheart but set during the The Revolutionary War. I think the same guy wrote them both.
Both The Patriot and Braveheart are both excellent films to watch, as long as you don't expect much more from them than they're both action films that are also historical fiction period pieces. Either of them has almost exactly 0.0001% actual historical facts between them both put together.

I can't say a thing about Armageddon since I never watched it, and have no desire to. It does seem like a difficult movie to sit thru.
Historical accuracy has never been Hollywood’s strong suit.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Hyperv12 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:37 pm
Cyberhonky wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:42 am I avoided 'the patriot' (mel gibson) for a lot of years because I thought it looked shitfully boring. Finally sat down and watched it and thought it was great.

I also avoided watching Armageddon because it looked fuckin terrible.I was right about that one though ;)
The Patriot is basically Braveheart but set during the The Revolutionary War. I think the same guy wrote them both.
Both The Patriot and Braveheart are both excellent films to watch, as long as you don't expect much more from them than they're both action films that are also historical fiction period pieces. Either of them has almost exactly 0.0001% actual historical facts between them both put together.

I can't say a thing about Armageddon since I never watched it, and have no desire to. It does seem like a difficult movie to sit thru.
Historical accuracy has never been Hollywood’s strong suit.
Can't totally agree with this statement. Despite most doing that, there have been a huge amount that the whole point is making sure it's accurate. D-Day invasion in "Saving Private Ryan" for example.
Cyberhonky

Post by Cyberhonky »

Shawshank Redemption was another movie I avoided. That was a good watch
Vote for Pedro
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

disco.moon wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:54 pm
HighNDry wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 pm

If you completely turn your brain off and watch Armageddon it is an enjoyable action flick. The second, and I mean the second, you start to think about the plot, you’ll be like “what the fuck am I watching?”
So, you've seen it many times huh?
Hey, look, we got a comedian over here.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Cyberhonky wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:52 pm Shawshank Redemption was another movie I avoided. That was a good watch
Pretty amazing that bombed at the box office on it's release.
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

disco.moon wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:16 am
HighNDry wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:06 am
disco.moon wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:54 pm
HighNDry wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 pm

If you completely turn your brain off and watch Armageddon it is an enjoyable action flick. The second, and I mean the second, you start to think about the plot, you’ll be like “what the fuck am I watching?”
So, you've seen it many times huh?
Hey, look, we got a comedian over here.
The elusive female comedian indeed.
Someone’s gotta liven up this place. Might as well be the one with nice boobs.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
Cyberhonky

Post by Cyberhonky »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:21 am
Cyberhonky wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:52 pm Shawshank Redemption was another movie I avoided. That was a good watch
Not really. It looked fucking boring. 😁
Vote for Pedro
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Cyberhonky wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:36 am
Compared to what at the time? I don't even remember what year it came out. Hate the action/ marvel comics super hero crap they've been churning out for 20+ years. Except for Iron Man- that blew me away.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Animal wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:35 am
Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:22 am
Animal wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:15 am i have said it before, but if anyone has not seen a movie called "Being There" needs to watch it. There is absolutely nothing about the title or the description or anything about it that would tempt a person to watch it. Its worth it.
Are you talking about the Peter Sellers one? If so, you are correct.
Yeah. Peter Sellers was probably the only selling point to lure a person into wanting to watch it. I have no idea if it won any kind of awards.
Melvyn Douglas won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor and Sellers was nominated for Best Actor. The screenplay won the British Academy Film Award for Best Screenplay and the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Comedy Adapted from Another Medium. It was also nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There
Cyberhonky

Post by Cyberhonky »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:15 am
Cyberhonky wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:36 am
Compared to what at the time? I don't even remember what year it came out. Hate the action/ marvel comics super hero crap they've been churning out for 20+ years. Except for Iron Man- that blew me away.
Doesn't need to be compared to anything to look boring.
Yeh, Iron Man was a decent watch
Vote for Pedro
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:21 pm Did I mention Galaxy Quest?
You only had to mention Sigourney Weaver.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。