Can the Internet ever be Safe?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Re: Can the Internet ever be Safe?

Post by necronomous »

Animal wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:03 pm
necronomous wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:54 pm No, because there are too many gullible people.
Well its one thing to send an email and pretend you are a Nigerian prince and need someone to wire you $5,000 so you can transfer $2 billion into their account. That's not hacking.

Or outsmarting someone into giving you their bank information or SSN. I know that kind of stuff will always happen. I just wonder if the internet can ever be redesigned so that it can be locked and no one can open the lock unless you want them to.
They still haven't made an actual lock that can't be picked with enough time. And they've had hundreds of years to try that.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:17 pm
necronomous wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:54 pm No, because there are too many gullible people.
Well its one thing to send an email and pretend you are a Nigerian prince and need someone to wire you $5,000 so you can transfer $2 billion into their account. That's not hacking.

Or outsmarting someone into giving you their bank information or SSN. I know that kind of stuff will always happen. I just wonder if the internet can ever be redesigned so that it can be locked and no one can open the lock unless you want them to.
They still haven't made an actual lock that can't be picked with enough time. And they've had hundreds of years to try that.
yeah, i get that. but these hacks happen at a rate of 2,000 or 3,000 per day. that's way past safe cracking levels of easy to hack into.
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

Animal wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:20 pm
necronomous wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:17 pm

yeah, i get that. but these hacks happen at a rate of 2,000 or 3,000 per day. that's way past safe cracking levels of easy to hack into.
I think they will just get harder but not completely. Too many governments want to pass shit around secretly.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

This is insane.

Ransomware is an ever-growing threat to thousands of organizations and businesses worldwide. Since 2016, over 4,000 ransomware attacks have happened daily in the U.S. Here are the top ransomware statistics you need to be aware of today:

1. Ransomware remains the most prominent malware threat.
2. Malicious emails are up 600% due to COVID-19. (ABC News, 2021)
3. 37% of respondents’ organizations were affected by ransomware attacks in the last year. (Sophos, 2021)
4. In 2021, the largest ransomware payout was made by an insurance company at $40 million, setting a world record. (Business Insider, 2021)
5. The average ransom fee requested has increased from $5,000 in 2018 to around $200,000 in 2020. (National Security Institute, 2021)
6. Experts estimate that a ransomware attack will occur every 11 seconds in 2021. (Cybercrime Magazine, 2019)
7. Out of 1,086 organizations whose data had been encrypted, 96% got their data back. (Sophos, 2021)
8. About 1 in 6,000 emails contain suspicious URLs, including ransomware. (Fortinet, 2020)
9 The average downtime a company experiences after a ransomware attack is 21 days. (Coveware, 2021)
10. 71% of those who are affected by ransomware have been infected. Half of the ransomware attacks that are successful infect at least 20 computers in the organization. (Acronis, 2020)
11. The most common tactics hackers use to carry out ransomware attacks are email phishing campaigns, RDP vulnerabilities, and software vulnerabilities. (Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency, 2021)
12. 65% of employers allow their employees to access company applications from unmanaged, personal devices. (Bitglass, 2020)
13. From a survey conducted with 1,263 companies, 80% of victims who submitted a ransom payment experienced another attack soon after, and 46% got access to their data but most of it was corrupted. (Cybereason, 2021)
14. Additionally, 60% of survey respondents experienced revenue loss and 53% stated their brands were damaged as a result. (Cybereason, 2021)
15. 29% of respondents stated their companies were forced to remove jobs following a ransomware attack. (Cybereason, 2021)
16. 42% of companies with cyber insurance policies in place indicated that insurance only covered a small part of damages resulting from a ransomware attack. (Cybereason, 2021)