Can the Internet ever be Safe?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Can the Internet ever be Safe?

Post by Animal »

These big hacking cases seem to be growing every day. I heard right now there are over 2,000 every day. And it appears that no matter what measures are taken to prevent it the hackers are one step ahead of the game. They almost seem to operate with no regard to being caught. The fact that they have even come up with a way to be paid that leaves no paper trail, is amazing.

No more leaving unmarked bills in a paper bag behind a tree. Now its just send some bit coins to some unknown wallet (or however its done).

Can the internet be re-created or has anyone heard of steps that can be taken to make it less vulnerable while also allowing interactive communication?
Whackov
Christ, get a life already!

Re: Can the Internet ever be Safe?

Post by Whackov »

My company got hit. It has been a very painful recovery.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

We got hit as well a few months back, and we are a tech company. Our recovery was not too bad but we did lose some things like old emails.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:02 pm We got hit as well a few months back, and we are a tech company. Our recovery was not too bad but we did lose some things like old emails.
was it a ransom ware type attack? I mean, did you have to pay a hacker to unlock it?
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Animal wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:07 pm
hawkfan8812 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:02 pm We got hit as well a few months back, and we are a tech company. Our recovery was not too bad but we did lose some things like old emails.
was it a ransom ware type attack? I mean, did you have to pay a hacker to unlock it?

The city of Riviera Beach which is not too far from me had to pay $600,000 to get their computers unlocked from hackers
I blame Biker.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Stapes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:38 pm

The city of Riviera Beach which is not too far from me had to pay $600,000 to get their computers unlocked from hackers
its really kind of hard to believe that this is going on this much and we don't hear more about the need to solve it. I can't even imagine a city paying $600k for that. That's enough to fund a big bond program for an infrastructure package in a medium to small city.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

If only we had a military to fight for our corporate interests
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

It was a ransomware attack, and we did not pay, our IT folks just rebuilt our shit from backups.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

I could go for another "fappening" type hack again. These hackers should at least give the world some joy to make up for their asshattery.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Jennifer Lawrence nudes were a gift from the lord at the time
I blame Biker.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

I already told my company's story of being hit by a ransomware attack. We did not pay. Since our data is held on a very special type of hardware isolated from normal operations, we did not lose our "gold" (patient data work product). We did lose operation of a lot of individual workstations and laptops. We generally do not have any real specialty hardware facing open networks, it's all generic stuff, easy to rebuild. We have not been successfully attacked since.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

QillerDaemon wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:22 pm I already told my company's story of being hit by a ransomware attack. We did not pay. Since our data is held on a very special type of hardware isolated from normal operations, we did not lose our "gold" (patient data work product). We did lose operation of a lot of individual workstations and laptops. We generally do not have any real specialty hardware facing open networks, it's all generic stuff, easy to rebuild. We have not been successfully attacked since.
What was their angle of approach?
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady

Post by QillerDaemon »

Geist wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 pm
QillerDaemon wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:22 pm I already told my company's story of being hit by a ransomware attack. We did not pay. Since our data is held on a very special type of hardware isolated from normal operations, we did not lose our "gold" (patient data work product). We did lose operation of a lot of individual workstations and laptops. We generally do not have any real specialty hardware facing open networks, it's all generic stuff, easy to rebuild. We have not been successfully attacked since.
I don't know exactly 100%, but my understanding was that it was a loaded email that someone got late on a Sunday evening. Innocently opened, and within a few hours it had spread thru-out our email system and had been reopened a few thousand times by the time I heard about the problem on Monday afternoon. Simply opening the email program started the malware and took over the workstation within our network system. Since I had been out that morning and only came into the office to help out my co-worker, my own workstation did not get infected. People who worked at home and opened their email did not get hit.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

QillerDaemon wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:36 pm
I don't know exactly 100%, but my understanding was that it was a loaded email that someone got late on a Sunday evening. Innocently opened, and within a few hours it had spread thru-out our email system and had been reopened a few thousand times by the time I heard about the problem on Monday afternoon. Simply opening the email program started the malware and took over the workstation within our network system. Since I had been out that morning and only came into the office to help out my co-worker, my own workstation did not get infected. People who worked at home and opened their email did not get hit.
When you say opened, do you mean simply opening the email in Outlook or whatever, or opening an attachment/link?
Whackov

Post by Whackov »

Ours was ransomware. They had us by the balls and we still haven’t totally recovered. We paid but I am not sure how much. Our IT folks are fucking idiots.
Whackov

Post by Whackov »

Straight up the ass with my company.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Whackov wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:54 pm
Straight up the ass with my company.
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady

Post by QillerDaemon »

Geist wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:40 pm When you say opened, do you mean simply opening the email in Outlook or whatever, or opening an attachment/link?
Again, we weren't told exactly, like how the local paper doesn't like to tell how the burglar disabled a house alarm. There was some suspicion that it was in a small part at least that it involved someone inside the network. But from all the special training we've gotten since, a bunch of it is warnings against clicking unknown links ("If the link involves company.com, the link should come back as company.com"), we think someone (or a few someones) clicked a bad link, less possibly clicked a bad attachment. Then (again, somehow), it spread over our email setup. Some folks on the third shift weren't paying attention, *boom!*
WarmBidetWater
Forum God

Post by WarmBidetWater »

disco.moon wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:18 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:14 pm I could go for another "fappening" type hack again. These hackers should at least give the world some joy to make up for their asshattery.
Why? There's plenty of pictures of naked women who give their consent to pictures nowdays. :D
...forbidden fruit and all that?
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Stapes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:19 pm Jennifer Lawrence nudes were a gift from the lord at the time
That really was a glorious couple of days.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
fouts
Forum God

Post by fouts »

Animal wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:48 pm

its really kind of hard to believe that this is going on this much and we don't hear more about the need to solve it. I can't even imagine a city paying $600k for that. That's enough to fund a big bond program for an infrastructure package in a medium to small city.
well,If you knew the history of Riviera bch. it wouldn't surprise you. The collective IQ of the mayor and commissioners would barely break triple digits. the tax payers on Singer island paid that ransom, they are 10% of the city area but provide 90% of tax funds.Riviera is known for 2 things being a ghetto and corruption.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

fouts wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:35 pm
Animal wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:48 pm

well,If you knew the history of Riviera bch. it wouldn't surprise you. The collective IQ of the mayor and commissioners would barely break triple digits. the tax payers on Singer island paid that ransom, they are 10% of the city area but provide 90% of tax funds.Riviera is known for 2 things being a ghetto and corruption.
Damn, the population of that whole town is only 32,000. That's insane.
Whackov

Post by Whackov »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:47 pm I work for giant medical facilities and one of the first things they warn of is "phishing emails". Not the awesome jam band. So they will send out test emails to see if the employees clicked the link, then one has to go through the training and sign all kinds of paperwork again. My strategy, do not check work emails. ;)
My company does that too. Lot of fucking good that did.
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

No, because there are too many gullible people.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:54 pm No, because there are too many gullible people.
Well its one thing to send an email and pretend you are a Nigerian prince and need someone to wire you $5,000 so you can transfer $2 billion into their account. That's not hacking.

Or outsmarting someone into giving you their bank information or SSN. I know that kind of stuff will always happen. I just wonder if the internet can ever be redesigned so that it can be locked and no one can open the lock unless you want them to.