Job hopping

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Job hopping

Post by Blast »

Anyone ever been poached by a competitor of a company you have worked for in the past? I learned of a job on the east coast that is similar to what I do now and was encouraged to and did apply. I have a phone interview in about 20 minutes. Granted the only way I am going to accept this job is with a serious increase to my salary. I want to be able to afford flying home to see my kids whenever.
The things I am curious about are if it's true you'll never get big raises working for one company, and if exposure to different companies cultures are a benifit in the long term when it comes to work experience. It's another large scrap company and poaching is pretty common among them.
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Re: Job hopping

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Blast wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:38 pm Anyone ever been poached by a competitor of a company you have worked for in the past? I learned of a job on the east coast that is similar to what I do now and was encouraged to and did apply. I have a phone interview in about 20 minutes. Granted the only way I am going to accept this job is with a serious increase to my salary. I want to be able to afford flying home to see my kids whenever.
The things I am curious about are if it's true you'll never get big raises working for one company, and if exposure to different companies cultures are a benifit in the long term when it comes to work experience. It's another large scrap company and poaching is pretty common among them.
Yes, companies have limits on raises that cause or perpetuate the cycle of job-hopping. If you want that 25% raise, jump ship. You can return to the same company a year later with more pay and position than the loyal employees who stayed. Companies have NO loyalty to you, you owe them none.
If they ask you how much you make now, tell them, but tell them that's why you're leaving. In other words, "don't be thinking you're going to keep me on that same schedule like this is 1850, cocksucker."
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast
Interests: Breasts

Post by Who »

Head hunters were so 80’s especially if you could code and had a Bachelors degree
A Legend In His Own Mind

All Posts Fair & Balanced
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Before I started my own business I was the ultimate mercenary. I had earned a very good reputation in the manufacturing industry so I was basically always getting calls from other companies that wanted my services. Toward the end I could demand, and more importantly get, 50% more than what others in my position made. I averaged a new place every couple of years. It was pretty sweet. I just got a call last week almost 5 years later "Hey, any chance you're looking to get back in?" Uh, fuck no.
I guess my advice is to not be scared of change. A cross country move is a huge decision so just make sure you're up for it. Ask for the moon; you just might get it. If they really want you they'll make it happen. Have confidence in your abilities and most importantly know the value you bring to a company. If you can prove your value better compensation will follow.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

My only advice is to carefully research the cost of living in the place you might be moved to. Those numbers can vary enormously from one place to another. A $100k a year job might turn out to be a much better deal in one place than a $150k a year job in another.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

They invited me out to interview in person.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

Blast wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:26 pm They invited me out to interview in person.
Do it. This state sucks and the drivers are worse than Floridians.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

BigRedRetard wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:40 pm Head Hunters are alive and well.
Your new Av should be for FSF. :rolling:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

VinceBordenIII wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:41 pm
Blast wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:38 pm Anyone ever been poached by a competitor of a company you have worked for in the past? I learned of a job on the east coast that is similar to what I do now and was encouraged to and did apply. I have a phone interview in about 20 minutes. Granted the only way I am going to accept this job is with a serious increase to my salary. I want to be able to afford flying home to see my kids whenever.
Yes, companies have limits on raises that cause or perpetuate the cycle of job-hopping. If you want that 25% raise, jump ship. You can return to the same company a year later with more pay and position than the loyal employees who stayed. Companies have NO loyalty to you, you owe them none.
If they ask you how much you make now, tell them, but tell them that's why you're leaving. In other words, "don't be thinking you're going to keep me on that same schedule like this is 1850, cocksucker."
This is sometimes true within a said trade.

I worked Precision Metal Fabrication for over 20 years in Ottawa. There were at least a dozen shops in town and yearly there would be a rotation of a handful of employees. Some returning to the same company a few times.

But when Boeing in Carleton Place had a big growth spurt in '99, a bunch of metal workers jumped ship to go there for the salary increase and benefits. Then the bubble busted and when they came squirming back to look for work they had been blackballed from the trade.

It can come back to bite you in the ass.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast
Interests: Breasts

Post by Who »

BigRedRetard wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:40 pm
Who wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:16 pm Head hunters were so 80’s especially if you could code and had a Bachelors degree
Head Hunters are alive and well.
I’m sure they are, but my guess a minimum of a MBA these days
A Legend In His Own Mind

All Posts Fair & Balanced
Whackov
Christ, get a life already!

Post by Whackov »

Don’t burn bridges because it can come back and bite you in the ass.
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Whackov wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:36 am Don’t burn bridges because it can come back and bite you in the ass.
Mixing our metaphors today?
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

Whackov wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:36 am Don’t burn bridges because it can come back and bite you in the ass.
No plans of it. My boss isn't going to know unless I decide to accept the offer. Like I said, in scrap there is constantly intercompany poaching.