2020 Candidates

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.
Anyone posting Ben Garrison comics gets a three-day vacation.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Re: 2020 Candidates

Post by Charliesheen »

FSchmertz wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:10 am
Flumper wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:07 am
FSchmertz wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:03 am
FSchmertz wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:41 am And yes, Biden really needs to pick a VP who's plausibly ready to be a President.
Charliesheen wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:10 pm No way Biden makes it 4 years. You are voting for his VP.
great point.
I wonder if Pence is going to become a factor?
He’d have a better chance of winning if he reselected.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Reeling from a CNN poll showing him trailing former vice president Joe Biden by 14 points, President Trump on Sunday and Monday resuscitated a core argument he made during the 2016 campaign. He’s supported by more than half of the country, Trump insists — but some of those supporters refuse to tell anyone about it.

That phrasing, the “silent majority,” is lifted from a speech given by President Richard Nixon early in his first term. Nixon was rejecting the idea that the vocal protests objecting to the conflict in Vietnam represented the actual sentiment of the American public. Even by that point, polling indicated that a plurality of Americans objected to the war, though Nixon was right that most Americans weren’t taking to the streets about it.

Trump’s framing is even more disconnected from reality. He’s not asserting that most Americans reject a vocal position; he has repeatedly claimed that polls are wrong and that most Americans support him, will vote for him and/or approve of the job he’s doing. That’s the silent majority Trump points to, a flood of people whose views simply aren’t reflected in polling.

What’s remarkable about this claim isn’t only that it lacks any evidence. What’s remarkable is that Trump has never, on any metric, demonstrated any actual majority support.

Take Gallup approval polling, for example. Every other president since modern polling has existed has, at some point, enjoyed majority approval from the public. Trump hasn’t.

In RealClearPolitics’s averages of polling, a broader look at views of the president, Trump’s approval has similarly never been at or above 50 percent. But it extends further than that. Trump has also never had 50 percent favorability in RealClearPolitics’s average. He has never polled at or above 50 percent in either of his presidential races, either against Hillary Clinton in 2016 or Biden this year. Both Clinton and Biden have had support over 50 percent against Trump.

Trump is nonetheless the president, of course, but it’s clearly not because he had the support of the majority of Americans in 2016. He didn’t even have the support of the plurality of voters in 2016, losing the popular vote to Hillary Clinton by more than 2 million votes.

It is the case that there have been individual polls which, at times, have shown Trump’s approval over 50 percent. Trump will often highlight those results, repeatedly tweeting out something like this:

But then he’ll tweet the same thing a few weeks or months later. And then the same thing a few weeks later again. The impression that’s given isn’t that Trump is consistently popular. It’s that, like an unfortunate passenger on the Titanic, every once in a while he manages to get his head above water and shout something out. You can’t keep occasionally hitting 50 percent approval unless the rest of the time you’re submerged. (See also: Trump’s tweets about the Dow Jones industrial average hitting 25,000.)

What’s more, the polls that have shown him above 50 percent approval tend to be ones that rely on voter pools that consistently favor Republican candidates.

Trump’s approval among Republicans is well above 50 percent, but Republicans make up only about a third of voters in the country. That’s the asterisk that applies to the 2016 Republican primaries, as well; those polls were only of Republicans.

Of course, he never hit 50 percent in RealClearPolitics’s average in the primaries that year, either. In fact, Trump is the first modern president to be elected without winning a majority of either the primary or general-election vote. Barack Obama got less than half of the Democratic primary vote in 2008, but won a majority of the vote that November. In 1992, Bill Clinton got less than half of the vote in the general, but more than half in the primary.

At the heart of Trump’s insistence that he has majority support is rejecting the reams of evidence to the contrary. It is based on believing that some large fraction of the public simply refuses to tell pollsters — real people or interactive polling systems — that they support the president: The 2016 vote is somehow not representative of how America broadly feels about him, and the 2020 vote will somehow be significantly different.

What Trump continues to rely upon the most for support in that regard are friendly pollsters and media outlets that position him as popular in a way that he isn’t. Like One America News simply inventing good poll results or outlets like Just the News, founded by conservative reporter John Solomon, publishing a poll showing Trump leading Biden by 12 points.

Oh, sorry. That poll had Biden up by 12. No doubt the Trump campaign will launch a lawsuit against Just the News, as it did against CNN last week. After all, Trump does have the support of a silent majority of the country, assuming your definition of “majority” has a very wide margin of error.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... nt-or-not/
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

The russians are busy folks. nothing to see here.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

These dopes can't remember back 4 years?
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politi ... 190077001/

Steps for Biden to win.

1. declare he won't participate in debates because of the virus
2. rarely leave his basement.

The longer this virus carries on the lower Trump's rating are going. Trump had an opportunity with this daily virus briefings, he fucked it up by actually letting people know that he's nuts. Biden needs to make sure he doesn't let people see his dementia.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

beagleboy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:23 pm https://www.freep.com/story/news/politi ... 190077001/

Steps for Biden to win.

1. declare he won't participate in debates because of the virus
2. rarely leave his basement.

The longer this virus carries on the lower Trump's rating are going. Trump had an opportunity with this daily virus briefings, he fucked it up by actually letting people know that he's nuts. Biden needs to make sure he doesn't let people see his dementia.
It'd also help if they could set up a couple more "Presidential" twit accounts for The Orange Messiah to post retarded twits to.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

Democrat, Eliot Engel = Hillary Clinton endorsed him and it came out the GOP is funneling him money. Nice to see when candidates receive bi-partisan elitist support to defeat any potential progressives.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

beagleboy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:07 pm Democrat, Eliot Engel = Hillary Clinton endorsed him and it came out the GOP is funneling him money. Nice to see when candidates receive bi-partisan elitist support to defeat any potential progressives.
Do you have a link for that GOP support? I looked around and couldn't find it.

But Engel is definitely the Democratic Machine preferred candidate (including Pelosi).

Warren and Sanders are endorsing the other guy.

P.S. Found it

https://theintercept.com/2020/06/15/gop ... al-bowman/

And it seems a Democratic-leaning site, based on it's ownership.
Consider what the world of media would look like without The Intercept. Who would hold party elites accountable to the values they proclaim to have?
Considering this quote, they seem anti-establishment.
DandyDon
Redneck Commie

Post by DandyDon »

As always, "Nobody knew" translates to "Everybody but Trump knew"
“I did something good: I made Juneteenth very famous,” Trump said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal published Thursday.

“It’s actually an important event, an important time. But nobody had ever heard of it,” he continued, saying that the people he had personally spoken to were unfamiliar with Juneteenth and that it was a black Secret Service agent who explained the holiday to him.

Not only is it patently false that people were unaware of Juneteenth up until now, Trump’s White House has been issuing statements on the holiday in his name since the beginning of his presidency — a fact that took the President by surprise when an aide pointed it out during the interview.

“Oh really? We put out a statement? The Trump White House put out a statement?” he asked. “Ok, ok. Good.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-talk ... 1592493771

Goddamn moron.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

DandyDon wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:01 pm As always, "Nobody knew" translates to "Everybody but Trump knew"
“I did something good: I made Juneteenth very famous,” Trump said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal published Thursday.

“It’s actually an important event, an important time. But nobody had ever heard of it,” he continued, saying that the people he had personally spoken to were unfamiliar with Juneteenth and that it was a black Secret Service agent who explained the holiday to him.

Not only is it patently false that people were unaware of Juneteenth up until now, Trump’s White House has been issuing statements on the holiday in his name since the beginning of his presidency — a fact that took the President by surprise when an aide pointed it out during the interview.

“Oh really? We put out a statement? The Trump White House put out a statement?” he asked. “Ok, ok. Good.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-talk ... 1592493771

Goddamn moron.
Buckle up, Don. Its gonna be a long 4.5 years for you.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Klobuchar withdraws from vice president consideration

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/06 ... 592549504/
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

I could live with a Susan Rice as the V.P. pick if they are going to ride this person of color wave but Abrams or Harris? No,No,No Joe
I blame Biker.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Stapes wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:48 pm I could live with a Susan Rice as the V.P. pick if they are going to ride this person of color wave but Abrams or Harris? No,No,No Joe
I guess Val B. Demings is out of it due to her police background?

Might be unfortunate, 'cause she might help flip Florida.

P.S. My main concern is whether whoever is V.P. would be a good President. One of these days a President is gonna kick the bucket, and they seem to be getting older every election.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Stapes wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:48 pm I could live with a Susan Rice as the V.P. pick if they are going to ride this person of color wave but Abrams or Harris? No,No,No Joe
if i had any say in it, i would say that Susan Rice is the top of the list if he wants a black person. Abrams would be a strong no. Harris - no.

rice has the resume and she's not polarizing.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

FSchmertz wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:16 pm

P.S. My main concern is whether whoever is V.P. would be a good President. One of these days a President is gonna kick the bucket, and they seem to be getting older every election.
Didn't work too well the last two times a VP had to step in.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Antknot wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Eh, you could argue that LBJ was the only one who could get civil rights through Congress. He might've been the best ever at dealing with them.
"No memorial oration or eulogy could more eloquently honor President Kennedy's memory than the earliest possible passage of the civil rights bill for which he fought so long," Johnson told the lawmakers.

Then, serving notice on his fellow southern Democrats that they were in for a fight, he said: "We have talked long enough in this country about equal rights. We have talked for one hundred years or more. It is time now to write the next chapter, and to write it in the books of law."
https://www.archives.gov/publications/p ... act-1.html
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

FSchmertz wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:10 pm
Antknot wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Eh, you could argue that LBJ was the only one who could get civil rights through Congress. He might've been the best ever at dealing with them.
"No memorial oration or eulogy could more eloquently honor President Kennedy's memory than the earliest possible passage of the civil rights bill for which he fought so long," Johnson told the lawmakers.

Then, serving notice on his fellow southern Democrats that they were in for a fight, he said: "We have talked long enough in this country about equal rights. We have talked for one hundred years or more. It is time now to write the next chapter, and to write it in the books of law."
https://www.archives.gov/publications/p ... act-1.html
And some blame that legislation for the breakdown of the black family.

And what's the quote "quiet for fifty years"?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

The far right Nazi/Russian propaganda channels are all in 100% on the Susan Rice attacks.

BENGHAZI!!!!!!!!!
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

IT WAS A VIDEO!!!!!!
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

3 out of every 4 youtube vids I watch have an ad with Biden asking for donations. He can't even spit out two lines smoothly. SMH.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

B-Tender wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:12 pm 3 out of every 4 youtube vids I watch have an ad with Biden asking for donations. He can't even spit out two lines smoothly. SMH.
I noticed that as well. The scary part is that those are the best takes they were able to put together.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

He is a stutterer. Not that I'm making excuses for him but he does have a speech impediment. Whether that's what's causing it or he's just senile I don't know....lol
I blame Biker.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

Stapes wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:57 pm He is a stutterer. Not that I'm making excuses for him but he does have a speech impediment. Whether that's what's causing it or he's just senile I don't know....lol
I don't remember him stuttering when I hear him talking about "Corn Pop" and having his hairy legs rubbed.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Antknot wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:23 pm
Stapes wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:57 pm He is a stutterer. Not that I'm making excuses for him but he does have a speech impediment. Whether that's what's causing it or he's just senile I don't know....lol
I don't remember him stuttering when I hear him talking about "Corn Pop" and having his hairy legs rubbed.
Nope. He was clear as a daisy back then. His YouTube ads are so fucking weak. Can’t believe that’s the best he could do.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Charliesheen wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:54 pm
Antknot wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:23 pm
Nope. He was clear as a daisy back then. His YouTube ads are so fucking weak. Can’t believe that’s the best he could do.
The live debates are gonna be kind of sad. Ol' Joe might handle himself for a bit but then he's gonna tire and it will be just a sad old man trying to remember where he put his socks.