Texas Finds 95,000 Non-US Citizens Registered To Vote -- 58,000 Have Actually Voted In Recent Elections

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.
Anyone posting Ben Garrison comics gets a three-day vacation.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Re: Texas Finds 95,000 Non-US Citizens Registered To Vote -- 58,000 Have Actually Voted In Recent Elections

Post by stymiegreen »

Cassandros wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:50 am
stymiegreen wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:24 am
Cassandros wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:09 am
stymiegreen wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:56 am
Cassandros wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 am You are far too emotional, chief.
Ugh, got to start proof reading better. /blush

I've forgot more about dicktones like you than you'll ever know. Keep posting your garbage and I'll be here to point out why it is. I'm a pretty important poster around here...you might wanna axe somebody, sucka.
Weird flex, but whatever...

Tell me, what part of my post is garbage?

...Or are you 'too important' to hold honest dialog?
Am I supposed to post the same numbers again that you've already ignored? Trump and his fuckdicks blurt out these fake numbers and people with brains are supposed to dissect them and comb through them for dickfists like you that just wanna believe anything Trump says anyway...and let's say by some miracle I convince you this number is erroneous you'll be on to the next erroneous piece of shit number Trump derps out in a tweet. The dynamic here is that you have lost credibility as far as being interested in a "genuine discussion" once you've already decided to tow the line for this type of bullshit metric. That's your problem...not mine.
Just like captquint, you are misreading what I said. You notice someone isn't lock step with you and BOOM, emotional outburst!

Slow down and read; here I will say it again, to clarify, I am pointing out the articles audacious claim that:
"The secretary’s actions threaten to result in tens of thousands of eligible voters being removed from the roles, including those with the least resources to comply with the demand to show papers," Stevens said.
This is the part that reeks of BS. All those alleged illegal voters DO have the means to prove they are in fact legal voters. If they are first gen, they have their original paper work, if they are second and past, they should have birth certificates, SS cards, and likely even drivers licenses.

As such, it will be easy to figure out how valid the 95k/58k claim is, and ZERO people should be impacted.
You couldn't make me have an emotional outburst if you tried, stud. I just don't have the same patience as AH to pretend your attempts at "discussion" are legitimate. These illegal voter claims have been addressed so many times its just weird you're acting like the superman of knowledge dropping in here and informing everyone of what you've uncovered. And I don't hold his same patience that presenting you with just the right set of facts will sway you. I am reserved that your entire endeavor is disingenuous.
Cassandros
Hamsterphile

Re: Texas Finds 95,000 Non-US Citizens Registered To Vote -- 58,000 Have Actually Voted In Recent Elections

Post by Cassandros »

stymiegreen wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:57 am
Just like captquint, you are misreading what I said. You notice someone isn't lock step with you and BOOM, emotional outburst!

Slow down and read; here I will say it again, to clarify, I am pointing out the articles audacious claim that:
"The secretary’s actions threaten to result in tens of thousands of eligible voters being removed from the roles, including those with the least resources to comply with the demand to show papers," Stevens said.
This is the part that reeks of BS. All those alleged illegal voters DO have the means to prove they are in fact legal voters. If they are first gen, they have their original paper work, if they are second and past, they should have birth certificates, SS cards, and likely even drivers licenses.

As such, it will be easy to figure out how valid the 95k/58k claim is, and ZERO people should be impacted.
You couldn't make me have an emotional outburst if you tried, stud. I just don't have the same patience as AH to pretend your attempts at "discussion" are legitimate. These illegal voter claims have been addressed so many times its just weird you're acting like the superman of knowledge dropping in here and informing everyone of what you've uncovered. And I don't hold his same patience that presenting you with just the right set of facts will sway you. I am reserved that your entire endeavor is disingenuous.
Is this another case of answering the question you want to answer, not the one the was asked? Cause you are talking about shit I have not even brought up. Classic tactic, but still a bullshit move.

Every legal American has the means to a) prove they are here legally and b) have ample resources available to get an ID.

Again, it will be easy to figure out how valid the 95k/58k claim is, and ZERO people should be impacted.
“The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither, the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great deal of both.” --Milton Friedman
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Texas did not find 95000 non citizens registered to vote, they found 95000 people who were not citizens at the time when they applied for a licence or ID that have the same name as registered voters, something described by the agency putting out the information as 'WEAK matches'. Emphasis theirs. There is no information on the current citizenship status of those people. 58000 of the registered voters have voted over the last 23 years. Trump lied to you again. There is no proof of overlap between the lists, that's what county commissioners will now explore by sending out letters, some of which will be to legal voters who won't bother to open them, won't receive them due to a recent change of address, won't bother to respond etc, and will find themselves no longer registered to vote next time they try.

Texas has had voter ID laws repeatedly struck down by the courts for intentionally targeting black and latino voters. It is not true that everyone has ample resources to get a photo ID.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

analhamster wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:15 am Texas did not find 95000 non citizens registered to vote, they found 95000 people who were not citizens at the time when they applied for a licence or ID that have the same name as registered voters, something described by the agency putting out the information as 'WEAK matches'. Emphasis theirs. There is no information on the current citizenship status of those people. 58000 of the registered voters have voted over the last 23 years. Trump lied to you again. There is no proof of overlap between the lists, that's what county commissioners will now explore by sending out letters, some of which will be to legal voters who won't bother to open them, won't receive them due to a recent change of address, won't bother to respond etc, and will find themselves no longer registered to vote next time they try.

Texas has had voter ID laws repeatedly struck down by the courts for intentionally targeting black and latino voters. It is not true that everyone has ample resources to get a photo ID.
Recent change in address: The USPS provides change of address forms and forwarding services. Invalid excuse.

Won't bother to respond: Tough shit. It's their own damn fault. Invalid excuse.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

analhamster wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:15 am Texas did not find 95000 non citizens registered to vote, they found 95000 people who were not citizens at the time when they applied for a licence or ID that have the same name as registered voters, something described by the agency putting out the information as 'WEAK matches'. Emphasis theirs. There is no information on the current citizenship status of those people. 58000 of the registered voters have voted over the last 23 years. Trump lied to you again. There is no proof of overlap between the lists, that's what county commissioners will now explore by sending out letters, some of which will be to legal voters who won't bother to open them, won't receive them due to a recent change of address, won't bother to respond etc, and will find themselves no longer registered to vote next time they try.

Recent change in address: The USPS provides change of address forms and forwarding services. Invalid excuse.

AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Antknot wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:28 am

Yeah it's fine to disenfranchise people if you don't think they have a valid excuse.

The problem with all these voter purges and voter ID laws is bad faith. That's why it's a partisan issue, because over and over republicans have been caught with their pants down in court intentionally trying to cut minority voting, with the excuse of preventing imaginary waves of illegal voters. It's joined gerrymandering in the fun and games of your corrupted political system. That's really not arguable, it has been proven in court. In the North Carolina case for example the legislature requested data broken down by race on how people voted, then enacted a series of measures which all made it harder for black people to vote.
https://www.justice.gov/crt/file/882456 ... toGDGiW73w
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Cassandros wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:17 am

Again, it will be easy to figure out how valid the 95k/58k claim is, and ZERO people should be impacted.
But yet The State of Texas did not do this, they derped out this information without investigating at all so that it can becoming a talking point and be regurgitated by the facebook masses.
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Its funny how the Left always says they dont want anyone to vote illegally and that when pressed most will say that "Yeah, getting an ID really isnt that hard." but the default position always remains "BUT WE CANT FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE ITS RACIST!!111!111"

Any attempt to improve the undeniably and demonstrably flawed systems is always met with cries of disenfranchisement. Yours truly does not deny that some would mask nefarious intent under the guise of improvement but that does not change the fact that the system we have DOES actually need improvement. How do we actually make the system better if any and all attempts at improvement are reflexively attacked?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Texas has one of, if not the toughest voter id laws

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... ly-n861516
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:29 pm Its funny how the Left always says they dont want anyone to vote illegally and that when pressed most will say that "Yeah, getting an ID really isnt that hard." but the default position always remains "BUT WE CANT FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE ITS RACIST!!111!111"

Any attempt to improve the undeniably and demonstrably flawed systems is always met with cries of disenfranchisement. Yours truly does not deny that some would mask nefarious intent under the guise of improvement but that does not change the fact that the system we have DOES actually need improvement. How do we actually make the system better if any and all attempts at improvement are reflexively attacked?
Getting an ID is not difficult unless you are poor and have limited access to transportation and little if any money to spend on getting an ID and cant take off work to get an ID. This is the argument I've seen from the left and these issues are frequently faced by minorities, this is also an argument from the left and is proven fact.

You want stronger voter ID? Make it easier to get voter ID.
wut?
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:29 pm Its funny how the Left always says they dont want anyone to vote illegally and that when pressed most will say that "Yeah, getting an ID really isnt that hard." but the default position always remains "BUT WE CANT FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE ITS RACIST!!111!111"

Resources for on the day voter registration with assistance to fill out the forms, assistance with transport, registration drives, provisional ballots and early voting. Recognition of the forms of ID minorities are more likely to hold. Simply put the resources in place to make sure anyone blocked from voting who shouldn't have been still has the opportunity to vote. You should read the NC court case, it lays out pretty clearly what measures NC had in place before Shelby v Holder released them from federal oversight of their election shennannigans. The day after that restriction was lifted they tried to cut out as many black voters as possible. You can require ID without blocking too many legal voters but that simply isn't the aim.
Some with nefarious intent is a little disingenuous when you're talking about a state legislature passing laws affecting everyone in the state. It's not a minor problem from a few bad apples.

Voter ID isn't really the problem area though, voter impersonation fraud almost never happens and that's the only type being targeted there. It's just the approach favoured by republicans because it has that useful side effect of suppressing minority votes. If you were really interested in reducing voter fraud you'd be looking to improve security with the electronic machines and absentee ballots. There are some simple measures that could be taken, like a paper backup for electronic voting, standardising voting practices nationwide, confirming with those voting by mail that their ballot has been sent and received.
https://www.nap.edu/read/25120/chapter/1#xi
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

The lack of paper backup for electronic voting is insane.
wut?
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:29 pm Yours truly does not deny that some would mask nefarious intent under the guise of improvement but that does not change the fact that the system we have DOES actually need improvement. How do we actually make the system better if any and all attempts at improvement are reflexively attacked?
I like how you threw this in here but the reason the attempts at improvement are reflexively attacked are because A) the claims of widespread voter fraud are never proven and regularly massively overblown, including most egregiously by your fearless leader Trump and B) the motives and methods behind these "attempts at improvement" are proven 99% of the time to be actually meant at preventing specific portions of voters from voting.

As has been pointed out EVERY.TIME this discussion comes up...there is a way to implement voter ID laws where it would be clear the intent was to actually eliminate fraud while not disenfranchising people. Yet EVERY.TIME those methods aren't deployed because that is not the purpose of the laws.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Elections chiefs in some Texas counties say state officials now are telling them there are problems with a list of 95,000 registered voters whose citizenship was questioned.

Dallas County Elections Administrator Toni Pippins-Poole said Tuesday that state officials told her they discovered that some voters on the list had previously provided proof of citizenship.

Near Austin, Williamson County Election Administrator Chris Davis says the state also called him. He says there is a “significant” number of voters whose citizenship is no longer in question.

A spokesman for the Texas secretary of state’s office didn’t immediately return messages.

President Donald Trump seized on the Texas numbers over the weekend to renew his unsubstantiated claims of rampant voter fraud.

https://apnews.com/e959bf0789a94456918a93d43542505b
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

analhamster wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:43 am

Yeah it's fine to disenfranchise people if you don't think they have a valid excuse.

The problem with all these voter purges and voter ID laws is bad faith. That's why it's a partisan issue, because over and over republicans have been caught with their pants down in court intentionally trying to cut minority voting, with the excuse of preventing imaginary waves of illegal voters. It's joined gerrymandering in the fun and games of your corrupted political system. That's really not arguable, it has been proven in court. In the North Carolina case for example the legislature requested data broken down by race on how people voted, then enacted a series of measures which all made it harder for black people to vote.
My state has requirements for updating of address for voters. If you don't, too bad, so sad.

Disenfranchisement: Never entered into my post Anne is just a smoke screen you are trying to spread to shift the blame from voters who don't follow the law. Especially those that move without updating their voter registration.

Yes there have been laws passed and then judged as designed to limit segments of the population from voting. THE NEED TO UPDATE ADDRESSES IS NOT PART OF THAT.
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

Antknot wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 pm Yes there have been laws passed and then judged as designed to limit segments of the population from voting. THE NEED TO UPDATE ADDRESSES IS NOT PART OF THAT.
Another one that admits to nefarious laws but supports laws with nicer sounding words from the same people anyway. Yeah, everyone trusts you this time, guy. Lulz.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

stymiegreen wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:15 pm
Antknot wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 pm Yes there have been laws passed and then judged as designed to limit segments of the population from voting. THE NEED TO UPDATE ADDRESSES IS NOT PART OF THAT.
Another one that admits to nefarious laws but supports laws with nicer sounding words from the same people anyway. Yeah, everyone trusts you this time, guy. Lulz.
NPC response. Listen numbnuts, the need for a correct address is so they can vote for the correct offices. Different districts and such. If you try the disenfranchised card for an incorrect address you are confirming you are nothing more than a shill.
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

Antknot wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:40 pm
NPC response. Listen numbnuts, the need for a correct address is so they can vote for the correct offices. Different districts and such. If you try the disenfranchised card for an incorrect address you are confirming you are nothing more than a shill.
So you just ignored the article entirely that said there were a significant number of the originally claimed people on the list that were no longer in question? You dipshits latch onto the big number than read no follow up on the story than keep derping the original false information. The reason the people were on the list wasn't a sound one to begin with it was called "WEAK" from the outset.

I guess NPC is now a substitute for any answer from a liberal you don't agree with? Go with that, numbnuts. Lulz.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Antknot wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 pm
analhamster wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:43 am

My state has requirements for updating of address for voters. If you don't, too bad, so sad.

Disenfranchisement: Never entered into my post Anne is just a smoke screen you are trying to spread to shift the blame from voters who don't follow the law. Especially those that move without updating their voter registration.

Yes there have been laws passed and then judged as designed to limit segments of the population from voting. THE NEED TO UPDATE ADDRESSES IS NOT PART OF THAT.
Disenfranchise is the word that means taking away the right to vote. I don't see why you're obsessing over this point, if you send out 95000 letters you don't get 95000 responses, that's not how the world works. There are a bunch of reasons why a letter asking someone to spend time doing paperwork may not get the required response. Letters go astray, unopened, unanswered, and the US has the 3rd highest rate of illiteracy in the developed world, wanna guess which groups are disproportionately effected by that and by the need to regularly change addresses? You take for granted rudimentary literacy, an ability to fill out forms, possessing the IDs you need already, time and resources and ease of travel in your own vehicle, a long term address in your own home. Not everyone does. It's not a central point, but it does illustrate an example of how you can choose to either disproportionately target poor minorities or not while achieving the same end - option 1, delete from the register, voter shows up and its better luck next cycle. Option 2, just flag the voter. Voter shows up and they can vote after producing the required information, register on the day with help to fill out the forms, or cast a provisional ballot and provide the required information in a week or two. The aim should be to allow everyone who has a right to vote to vote, you can do that along with verifying IDs if that's the aim.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

stymiegreen wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:29 am
So you just ignored the article entirely that said there were a significant number of the originally claimed people on the list that were no longer in question? You dipshits latch onto the big number than read no follow up on the story than keep derping the original false information. The reason the people were on the list wasn't a sound one to begin with it was called "WEAK" from the outset.

I guess NPC is now a substitute for any answer from a liberal you don't agree with? Go with that, numbnuts. Lulz.
Don't want to respond to the incorrect address part? Ok fine. Say so, don't try to hide by diverting.
Cassandros
Hamsterphile

Post by Cassandros »

captquint wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:55 am
Cassandros wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:17 am

But yet The State of Texas did not do this, they derped out this information without investigating at all so that it can becoming a talking point and be regurgitated by the facebook masses.
Naturally.

Both sides play these games.

Its all about keeping people in the red team or blue team through emotional manipulation.
“The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither, the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great deal of both.” --Milton Friedman
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

Antknot wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:56 am
stymiegreen wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:29 am

Don't want to respond to the incorrect address part? Ok fine. Say so, don't try to hide by diverting.
Who is claiming peoples addresses shouldn't be verified? No one. The point of contention of this story from the outset was how many of the people on the list were actually still in question...the time period over which the list of people covered since it was over a 20+ year span and Trump derped like this was just over the last year...and the repeatedly disingenuous attempts by Republican lawmakers to use fraudulent claims like this to justify laws which are actually meant to affect specific sections of voters. No one is advocating fraud, but to act as if Republicans and especially Trump are acting in good faith to prevent fraud and not disenfranchise as many people as possible is void of credibility at this point. And its not even close.
Cassandros
Hamsterphile

Post by Cassandros »

First off, if you can't read- you shouldn't be voting in the first place. It is obvious you are not aware of what any candidate stands for and you are just hitting the lever for the team you were told to vote for.

Second, Is it really that hard to get a valid ID though?

Some of the documents in question you should have already, birth certs, ss cards, w2, selective service card, Insurance card, utility bill, U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization, mail from any government office hell, (oddly enough) even your voter registration card can all be used; and then some.

The fee is less than $20.

if you are super poor, but some how informed enough to want to vote, these are not impossible hurdles. Anyone acting like adding a layer to prevent fraud by showing an ID is just drinking party line kool-aid.

But then, to be completely fair, roughly 20% if all votes in the US are still done on machines with no paper trail... so, yeah. The whole system is less secure than it should be, so it makes perfect sense that ID laws get shut down.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

I've already solved the problem the last time we had this discussion:

The state will provide, at every voting place, the means and personnel needed to register and acquire a valid ID at no charge for anyone who needs one for the time period of two years. If, after the period of two years has expired you still have not acquired your ID, you will be ineligible to vote. For those unable to travel, a task force will be created to come to you with the proper registration forms.

There should be no complaints as no one can claim they couldnt get to the proper office because the opportunity will be available at the voting station WHERE THEY ALREADY ARE. Further, no one can claim that 2 years isnt enough time. There are any number of voting/registration opportunities available during a 2 year window.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:32 am I've already solved the problem the last time we had this discussion:

The state will provide, at every voting place, the means and personnel needed to register and acquire a valid ID at no charge for anyone who needs one
Ftfy. There are a couple of obvious problems with limiting it to 2 years - not everyone who is eligible to vote does vote every time, and the voter pool isn't static. People do tend to keep getting born or naturalised.