U.S. officials systematically misled the public about the war in Afghanistan

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.
Anyone posting Ben Garrison comics gets a three-day vacation.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

U.S. officials systematically misled the public about the war in Afghanistan

Post by beagleboy »

Rumsfeld knew it was a problem 6 months into the war.
Obama ran in 2008 on EXPANDING the war.
Trump has talked about removing about 60% of the soldiers and both sides had a freak out. 100% contrary to what the government knows and this article will be completely ignored if he actually does it and they'll freak out about it.

A confidential trove of government documents obtained by The Washington Post reveals that senior U.S. officials failed to tell the truth about the war in Afghanistan throughout the 18-year campaign, making rosy pronouncements they knew to be false and hiding unmistakable evidence the war had become unwinnable.

The documents were generated by a federal project examining the root failures of the longest armed conflict in U.S. history. They include more than 2,000 pages of previously unpublished notes of interviews with people who played a direct role in the war, from generals and diplomats to aid workers and Afghan officials.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Re: U.S. officials systematically misled the public about the war in Afghanistan

Post by beagleboy »

BigRedRetard wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:55 pm We need to pull 100% of our troops out.
That's exactly what the Russians would want. :D
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Re: U.S. officials systematically misled the public about the war in Afghanistan

Post by AnalHamster »

The Russians want them there, slowly wasting blood and treasure. The Taliban want them out.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

AnalHamster wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:49 pm The Russians want them there, slowly wasting blood and treasure. The Taliban want them out.
Yep. It's kind of a no win situation. Damned if we do and damned if we don't.
I still think we should pull out even with the knowledge that really bad folks will become emboldened. That is a known outcome though and knowing is at least better than being taken by surprise and we can plan accordingly.
I suppose another positive of us pulling out is that if the Taliban does start to get cocky more of an allied force could be gathered to foster a response and/or action. The burden of keeping those fucks in check should be shared worldwide.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

beagleboy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:04 pm
BigRedRetard wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:55 pm We need to pull 100% of our troops out.
That's exactly what the Russians did. :D
FTFY
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

megman wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:55 pm
FTFY
You mean the Soviets? That country no longer exists for a reason.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

beagleboy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:59 pm
FTFY
Seems like ol' Vlad would like to get the band back together though.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

beagleboy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:59 pm
FTFY
A commie by any other name is still a commie.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

The only reason that anyone wants the shithole is for the billions in precious metals and gems.

The CIA has had a town there since the 50's called Little America. They been helping the locals cultivate poppies.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:52 pm
AnalHamster wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:49 pm The Russians want them there, slowly wasting blood and treasure. The Taliban want them out.
Yep. It's kind of a no win situation. Damned if we do and damned if we don't.
I still think we should pull out even with the knowledge that really bad folks will become emboldened. That is a known outcome though and knowing is at least better than being taken by surprise and we can plan accordingly.
I suppose another positive of us pulling out is that if the Taliban does start to get cocky more of an allied force could be gathered to foster a response and/or action. The burden of keeping those fucks in check should be shared worldwide.
Yep, I'd lean toward more damned if you stay though. It's a mediaeval culture that will take generations to develop, throwing money at it doesn't change that. I say pull out and let the CIA do their thing. Ideally they can declare a glorious new caliphate so the west can send all our citizens who want to go to become Afghan citizens, solves a whole bunch of problems.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Afghanistan is tribal. We should never have taken on the "nation Building" thing.
They should have said "Yeah, we're going to stay until we feel like leaving."

Now, people who hate us will be happy to be the first to say we lost the war, because the islamists will return after we leave.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

VinceBordenIII wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:06 pm Afghanistan is tribal. We should never have taken on the "nation Building" thing.

Now, people who hate us will be happy to be the first to say we lost the war, because the islamists will return after we leave.
I hate to say it but I don't know if the USA will ever win another war. I say that only because the odds of us fighting another conventional war seem rather slim. The blue print has been laid and followed since Vietnam: use guerilla tactics and drag it out for as long as possible. Eventually we'll lose the stomach for it.
Unless we're willing to go old school and just leave complete decimation in our wake (something that's simply not gonna happen), we'll continue to get nickel and dimed to death by inferior opponents.
Maybe we could win a cyber war? I question even that though.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:08 pm
VinceBordenIII wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:06 pm Afghanistan is tribal. We should never have taken on the "nation Building" thing.

I hate to say it but I don't know if the USA will ever win another war. I say that only because the odds of us fighting another conventional war seem rather slim. The blue print has been laid and followed since Vietnam: use guerilla tactics and drag it out for as long as possible. Eventually we'll lose the stomach for it.
Unless we're willing to go old school and just leave complete decimation in our wake (something that's simply not gonna happen), we'll continue to get nickel and dimed to death by inferior opponents.
The US would absolutely win a cyber war with anyone, the funding and resources that the NSA has. It just doesn't come up when you're attacking places like Iraq and Syria.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

AnalHamster wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:14 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:08 pm

The US would absolutely win a cyber war with anyone, the funding and resources that the NSA has. It just doesn't come up when you're attacking places like Iraq and Syria.
Sure, but how bad will we get fucked in the process of "winning" a cyber war? Yes, I'm positive we could cripple any developed nation but I'm also positive we could get back alley butt fucked in the process.
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

I'm not so sure how much better we are than millions of Chinese programmers, and Chinese nationals working in the U.S.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

VinceBordenIII wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:17 pm I'm not so sure how much better we are than millions of Chinese programmers, and Chinese nationals working in the U.S.
Yep. Our governmental capabilities would be tangling with hostilities from within and without. I'm sure our technology is top notch but is it a match for 1000's of possibly hostile actors with varying levels of access to our infrastructure?
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Therer have already been test-attacks on the grid, if you believe certain internets.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

Michelle Obama tells George W. Bush's daughter about Mr. Bush: “Our values are the same. We disagree on policy, but we don’t disagree on humanity, we don’t disagree about love and compassion."

Seems interesting considering all that torture talk and for years and the release of this information.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

We can't even build roads in the country after trillion spent. Of course they know it's a stalemate of a war.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

How long until he's considered a Russian asset?
Cassandros
Hamsterphile

Post by Cassandros »

It's never been about "winning".
“The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither, the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great deal of both.” --Milton Friedman