A 5,000-Year-Old Plan to Erase Debts Is Now a Hot Topic in America

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.
Anyone posting Ben Garrison comics gets a three-day vacation.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

megman
Nanook of the North

A 5,000-Year-Old Plan to Erase Debts Is Now a Hot Topic in America

Post by megman »

(Bloomberg) — In ancient Babylon, a newly enthroned king would declare a jubilee, wiping out the population’s debts. In modern America, a faint echo of that idea -- call it jubilee-lite -- is catching on.

Support for write-offs has been driven by Democratic presidential candidates. Elizabeth Warren says she’d cancel most of the $1.6 trillion in U.S. student loans. Bernie Sanders would go further -– erasing the whole lot, as well as $81 billion in medical debt.

But it’s coming from other directions too. In October, one of the Trump administration’s senior student-loan officials resigned, calling for wholesale write-offs and describing the American way of paying for higher education as “nuts.’’

Real-estate firm Zillow cites medical and college liabilities as major hurdles for would-be renters and home buyers. Moody’s Investors Service listed the headwinds from student debt -– less consumption and investment, more inequality -- and said forgiveness would boost the economy like a tax cut.

While the current debate centers on college costs, long-run numbers show how debt has spread through the economy. The U.S. relies on consumer spending for growth -– but it hasn’t been delivering significantly higher wages. Household borrowing has filled the gap, with low interest rates making it affordable.

And that’s not unique to America. Steadily growing debts of one kind or another are weighing on economies all over the world.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-000-ol ... 00406.html
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Re: A 5,000-Year-Old Plan to Erase Debts Is Now a Hot Topic in America

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Why do colleges charge so much?
Because they can.

Higher education costs certainly are over the top but I'm not sure wiping the slate clean is the right answer.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:18 pm Why do colleges charge so much?
Because they can.

Higher education costs certainly are over the top but I'm not sure wiping the slate clean is the right answer.
The government. That's why.
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Why do students go to expensive, 2nd rate private colleges when they can go to JC and then a better public college for much less? Why should you get debt forgiveness for studying French History?
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

VinceBordenIII wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:26 pm Why do students go to expensive, 2nd rate private colleges when they can go to JC and then a better public college for much less? Why should you get debt forgiveness for studying French History?
Also the government, and horrible parenting
VinceBordenIII

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Biker wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:28 pm
VinceBordenIII wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:26 pm Why do students go to expensive, 2nd rate private colleges when they can go to JC and then a better public college for much less? Why should you get debt forgiveness for studying French History?
Im a big believer in the liberal arts and have encouraged my kids to major in one. I have two English majors and one history major.
That's fantastic, but it's not an avenue into a lucrative trade. Sure, you can get a job and work your way up, and higher general ed is great, as far as being "educated." But life is not a cocktail party in the Hamptons.

Training for a good trade is important, and I like the idea of a sort of vetting of the would-be intellectuals, as I was an enlisted man who had to take a lot of shit from college graduate officers who couldn't hold a candle to many of the enlisteds, intellectually.
VinceBordenIII

Post by VinceBordenIII »

necronomous wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:27 pm
Also the government, and horrible parenting
Some of this debt is those technical institutes, that took advantage of federally guaranteed loans.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

You could cut dramatically the tuition rates by setting up a federal payment plan for public universities. Missouri has a local public university that is $5,200 per year. If they could get a crapload of free federal funded students, I imagine a ton of Universities could figure out how to handle a plan at that rate.

Western Governors is a public online only University - $6.5k per year. 100% owned by something like 19 different states. Couple friends of mine work there part time as professors.
VinceBordenIII

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Biker wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:35 pm
VinceBordenIII wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:33 pm
Im a big believer in the liberal arts and have encouraged my kids to major in one. I have two English majors and one history major.
That's fantastic, but it's not an avenue into a lucrative trade. Sure, you can get a job and work your way up, and higher general ed is great, as far as being "educated." But life is not a cocktail party in the Hamptons.

Training for a good trade is important, and I like the idea of a sort of vetting of the would-be intellectuals, as I was an enlisted man who had to take a lot of shit from college graduate officers who couldn't hold a candle to many of the enlisteds, intellectually.
Really? The two English majors want to attend law school. What better major than learning how to communicate and write effectively?
Well then they’re going on to study something else. A trade, if you will. Not the same as graduating with a bs in English and trying to make your way.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

Told a guy that law school, med school and accounting classes to become a CPA is learning a trade.

Wow he got pissed.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Biker wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:50 pm
VinceBordenIII wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Really? The two English majors want to attend law school. What better major than learning how to communicate and write effectively?
Well then they’re going on to study something else. A trade, if you will. Not the same as graduating with a bs in English and trying to make your way.
Nonsense. I know that right wing internet memes ridicule the liberal arts, but businesses need people who can think, write, and communicate effectively, all which the liberal arts provides.
No offense but those liberal arts degrees are a dime a dozen.... Your kids are smart going for law degrees... And even that has a lot of competition.
I blame Biker.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

We need Baristas also.

Most lawyers aren't lawyers. Like CPAs, chemists and engineers, they are launching pads to other professions.
VinceBordenIII

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Nonsense. I know that right wing internet memes ridicule the liberal arts, but businesses need people who can think, write, and communicate effectively, all which the liberal arts provides.
I don't want this to be personal at all, but I wouldn't give a person with a basic degree any more consideration than I would someone who didn't go to college at all. If they can read/write/communicate well, that's all that should matter.
spudoc
Most Likely To Have a Neckbeard

Post by spudoc »

Biker is 100% correct on this one. Vocational degrees are fine but you get people who, by their training, are somewhat limited in their creative thinking.
People with general liberal arts degrees have a much wider education perspective that gives them an advantage in out of the box thinking.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

VinceBordenIII wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:16 pm

I don't want this to be personal at all, but I wouldn't give a person with a basic degree any more consideration than I would someone who didn't go to college at all. If they can read/write/communicate well, that's all that should matter.
I would, the degree demonstrates a drive to accomplish and a more diversified knowledge base.
wut?
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

I got an accounting degree and didn't learn shit about communications while in undergrad. I got a crash course in writing and speaking in my first year of law school.

My oldest studied psychology and a few languages in a small liberal arts school and did a huge amount of writing there.
wut?
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Real-estate firm Zillow cites medical and college liabilities as major hurdles for would-be renters and home buyers. Moody’s Investors Service listed the headwinds from student debt
What a smegma stain. Major hurdles against "affordability" are 30 and 40 year mortgages, coupled with a chokehold on new supply. Home prices and rents are market-driven. Bullshit lib arts degrees are artificially priced with no reflection on rate of return.

Retail on my kid's degree was over 200K. The school took the money I saved, plus a grant she got on her own, off the top of her "aid", making sure I had to bleed if I didn't want the kid to gradiate with in their eyes a perfectly acceptable 30 to 50 large in debt.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
DandyDon
Redneck Commie

Post by DandyDon »

BC when mommy and daddy can afford it, they get into the Skull and Bones and the like which guarantees success. Just look at Kavanaugh for confirmation. Without the money (and the odd circumstances that led to his nomination) to set his career up, he did not have the disposition to be a Sears manager.
DandyDon
Redneck Commie

Post by DandyDon »

Charliesheen wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:31 am
Real-estate firm Zillow cites medical and college liabilities as major hurdles for would-be renters and home buyers. Moody’s Investors Service listed the headwinds from student debt
What a smegma stain. Major hurdles against "affordability" are 30 and 40 year mortgages, coupled with a chokehold on new supply. Home prices and rents are market-driven. Bullshit lib arts degrees are artificially priced with no reflection on rate of return.

Retail on my kid's degree was over 200K. The school took the money I saved, plus a grant she got on her own, off the top of her "aid", making sure I had to bleed if I didn't want the kid to gradiate with in their eyes a perfectly acceptable 30 to 50 large in debt.
Mighty fine boot straps you threw her there chuck. Thats the way they should come up. Not like this, right?

CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

So it actually is possible for a Latino woman to rise up and become a congressperson?! WTF. How did we let this happen?

We better call an emergency meeting of the official "Keeping minorities down" club!
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
DandyDon
Redneck Commie

Post by DandyDon »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:52 am So it actually is possible for a Latino woman to rise up and become a congressperson?! WTF. How did we let this happen?

We better call an emergency meeting of the official "Keeping minorities down" club!
You already did.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

DandyDon wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:12 am
CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:52 am So it actually is possible for a Latino woman to rise up and become a congressperson?! WTF. How did we let this happen?

You already did.
Lets see:
Russians, racists...who else is making your life miserable Don?
DandyDon
Redneck Commie

Post by DandyDon »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:45 am
DandyDon wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:12 am

You already did.
Lets see:
Russians, racists...who else is making your life miserable Don?
All things considered, my life is pretty much OK. If you exclude health issues, and what I owe the hospitals. It's always comforting knowing you owe more than you could possibly make in the next 3 years, much less pay them and your bills. I couldnt help getting sick, but it took aa 685 credit score to low 500s in a heartbeat. and I have still yet to miss a payment. Best system in the world, right?
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Biker wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:32 am
Charliesheen wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:31 am

She ended up with a good job,no?
Well that fucks up my rant. Because yes, she did. Got her ass kicked in Seattle, and moved abroad, and is now making six figures in Latin America. Got her job because of a connection she made at Middlebury. The college had nothing to do with it. Meaning they promised to put together all these job interviews. Never happened. She saw something on a bulletin board and found that she was friends with a kid whose parent was offering the position.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.