Wuhan Coronavirus

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

Flumper wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:22 pm
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:19 pm
I can't recall if I've heard that or not but another thing surprising to me that my wife read is that they say people with diabetes are more susceptible to this virus. That hits home for my wife & I 'cause a close friend of ours has CV and is currently in the hospital with pneumonia. She's only 40, a nurse and an aerobics teacher but yes she has juvenile diabetes. Go figure.

I've also read that based on a study in China that people that are moderate drinkers are less susceptible to the virus. Apparently the alcohol kills it.
that reminds me of something that I have heard asked, but I have yet to hear a real answer to it. There is a vaccine against pneumonia. And I have heard that a lot of the people that die from Covid-19 develop pneumonia and that is ultimately what kills them. So, if a person gets a vaccine against pneumonia, does that prevent Covid from causing them to catch pneumonia?

It seems like such a simple question to answer.
Good question, I'd like to know the answer. This woman is only 40 but she is a nurse. I'm pretty sure she said she got a flu shot but I doubt she got a vaccine for pneumonia. I'll ask her (hopefully) the next time we speak. There is really little talk about the pneumonia vaccine and how it affects CV victims. I did find this:

"CDC recommends routine pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccination for: All adults 65 years or older. People 2 through 64 years old with certain medical conditions. Adults 19 through 64 years old who smoke cigarettes."
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

How much does pneumococcal vaccine cost?
It currently costs about $170, according to those archives. Next year, Pfizer says, a shot will cost almost $180. “Pfizer and other drug companies are raising their prices because they can,” said Gerard Anderson, a health policy professor at Johns Hopkins University who studies drug pricing

https://khn.org/news/the-ratcheting-cos ... hat-gives/
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

No it won't affect this stuff. It's a vaccine against a specific strain of virus that causes pneumonia. Covid itself causes the lungs to slowly fill with fluid, it is not clearing the way for another disease.
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

CaptQuint wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:46 pm How much does pneumococcal vaccine cost?
It currently costs about $170, according to those archives. Next year, Pfizer says, a shot will cost almost $180. “Pfizer and other drug companies are raising their prices because they can,” said Gerard Anderson, a health policy professor at Johns Hopkins University who studies drug pricing

Interesting. Is it effective in preventing pneumonia for individuals that have COVid? That was Flumper's question.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:50 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:46 pm How much does pneumococcal vaccine cost?

Interesting. Is it effective in preventing pneumonia for individuals that have COVid? That was Flumper's question.
How the fuck would I know?
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Blast wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:47 pm No it won't affect this stuff. It's a vaccine against a specific strain of virus that causes pneumonia. Covid itself causes the lungs to slowly fill with fluid, it is not clearing the way for another disease.
you are going to have to explain that answer. does it matter what causes the pneumonia? i mean is the vaccine against pneumonia not really a vaccine against pneumonia, but a vaccine against a virus (not covid) that causes pneumonia?

so, in hindsight, its not a vaccine against pneumonia, its really just a vaccine against one type of virus that can cause pneumonia?
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Biker wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:57 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 pm
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:50 pm

How the fuck would I know?
:lol:
:lol: :lol:
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Flumper wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:57 pm
Blast wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:47 pm No it won't affect this stuff. It's a vaccine against a specific strain of virus that causes pneumonia. Covid itself causes the lungs to slowly fill with fluid, it is not clearing the way for another disease.
you are going to have to explain that answer. does it matter what causes the pneumonia? i mean is the vaccine against pneumonia not really a vaccine against pneumonia, but a vaccine against a virus (not covid) that causes pneumonia?

so, in hindsight, its not a vaccine against pneumonia, its really just a vaccine against one type of virus that can cause pneumonia?
The pneumococcal vaccination is actually a vaccination against certain types of bacteria (yeah I know, I've often thought of vaccines as only virus-related, but not in this case).

Bacterial pneumonia is a relatively frequent complication of the flu and some colds in older folks (and the very young, apparently).

What folks seem to be saying is this virus doesn't need a bacterial co-infection to cause pneumonia. I don't know if it's a potential complication though.

More info:

https://www.cdc.gov/pneumonia/prevention.html
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Flumper wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:09 pm
megman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:05 pm About an hour south of me a nursing home has 9 dead and 37 out of 120 staff infected. So far.

We could be fucked....
i have another theory that i think might have some merit. Not only are the elderly prone to higher mortality rates due to this virus, i think their chances of contracting the virus are exponentially higher than younger people. In other words, if you put a 20 year old and an 80 year old in a room with an infected person for a minute or so, the 80 year old will catch it with much greater probability.
Yeah, that' pretty much the way the flu works with people who have compromised immune systems. No surprise here.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Flumper wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:13 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:12 pm
Flumper wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:09 pm
i have another theory that i think might have some merit. Not only are the elderly prone to higher mortality rates due to this virus, i think their chances of contracting the virus are exponentially higher than younger people. In other words, if you put a 20 year old and an 80 year old in a room with an infected person for a minute or so, the 80 year old will catch it with much greater probability.
Have you notified the World Health Organization? I don't think they have noticed that yet.
link?
Flumper explaining Coronavirus....

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:13 pm

go back to your room.
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

So if total deaths from flu and corona virus are less than 60k in US this year. Does that mean shutting down the country was successful, or a waste of time?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

B-Tender wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:22 pm So if total deaths from flu and corona virus are less than 60k in US this year. Does that mean shutting down the country was successful, or a waste of time?
successful
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Biker wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:24 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:23 pm
B-Tender wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:22 pm So if total deaths from flu and corona virus are less than 60k in US this year. Does that mean shutting down the country was successful, or a waste of time?
successful
And a Trump re-election :|
That all you think about? No wonder you need a midol.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

this is the age old question that i have seen when it comes to safety measures on construction sites. if you don't have any accidents in a year, then was having a 30 minute safety meeting every monday morning worth the lost production and time on the job? you can argue it either way and there is no real answer.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Flumper wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:30 pm
this is the age old question that i have seen when it comes to safety measures on construction sites. if you don't have any accidents in a year, then was having a 30 minute safety meeting every monday morning worth the lost production and time on the job? you can argue it either way and there is no real answer.
I worked for the first company in Canada to be re-certified for ISO9002 and was part of the team responsible for dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

The answer is yes, it is worth it.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

I only ask because we normally have 30-50k deaths from the flu every year.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc ... hs-winter/
8-TrackJones
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by 8-TrackJones »

Klaatu ......Barada .......Ncoughcoughcough.........Necktie.........Nickel.....
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Biker wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:44 pm
Hey libs. She's your gal.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

Flumper wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:20 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:13 pm

go back to your room.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Point a fella out to a nice cocktail shaker set on amazon?
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

CaptQuint wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:23 am
Just the shaker? or whole kit?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

B-Tender wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 am
Kit
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

CaptQuint wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:25 am
B-Tender wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 am
Kit
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

The only other things I might buy are a bar spoon, and a muddler. You can buy those seperately.