Liar-in-Chief to give a Speech to the Nation on Tuesday

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.
Anyone posting Ben Garrison comics gets a three-day vacation.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Liar-in-Chief to give a Speech to the Nation on Tuesday

Post by stymiegreen »

Networks should demand to see Trump’s speech in advance — and refuse to air it if it’s filled with lies: CNN analyst

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/networ ... 90.twitter

Brad Reed
07 JAN 2019

CNN analyst Joe Lockhart, who previously served as White House press secretary under former President Bill Clinton, said on Monday that networks should refuse to air President Donald Trump’s planned prime-time address to the nation if it’s filled with lies.

Given the way the Trump administration has been willing to push easily refutable lies in its efforts to sell Americans on the necessity of building the border wall, Lockhart said that networks owed it to their viewers to make sure that the president doesn’t peddle these kinds of lies in an address to the nation where no one would be able to correct him in real time.

“Sounds like TV networks will get a request soon for airtime for a Presidential address,” Lockhart wrote on Twitter. “Some advice — demand to see the text in advance and if it is not truthful, either don’t air it or fact-check it live on lower third.”

Lockhart also recommended that networks “cut away if he goes off text and starts lying” during his address, as the president has been known to improvise from prepared remarks in the past.

Lockhart went on to point out that networks get the president’s State of the Union address in advance, which means that requesting the text of his planned prime-time address isn’t really breaking new ground.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Liar-in-Chief to give a Speech to the Nation on Tuesday

Post by Reservoir Dog »

I'm gonna watch it just to count the lies.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:08 pm I'm gonna watch it just to count the lies.
Could be a drinking game.
wut?
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

Biker wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:45 pm Its cute that the Dems think they have the American public on their side in this issue
Make sure to post your proof that people support the wall or even the shutdown to support the wall. I'll leave the lights on.
quote wrote:Trump Says Country Wants Border Wall, But That’s Not What Polls Say

And opponents can’t call the White House switchboard to let the president know because it’s not working due to the government shutdown.
headshot

By Mary Papenfuss

President Donald Trump insisted again Thursday that there’s “so much support” his border wall. But polls contradict him.

“The people of our country want it,” Trump declared at a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room Thursday to plead for the wall

“I have never had so much support as I have in the last week over my stance for border security ... or, frankly, the wall or the barrier. I have never had anything like it in terms of calls coming in, in terms of people writing in and tweeting. I’ve never had this much support,” he added.

Trump was apparently referring to personal calls he has received. Neither the White House switchboard nor the call-in phone line to leave recorded comments is functioning because of the government shutdown. “We apologize, but due to the lapse in federal funding, we are unable to take your call,” a recorded message on the switchboard states.

But no poll has found that a majority of Americans support the wall or funding for the wall, or see it as a priority.

A Quinnipiac poll of 1,147 voters reached on landlines or cell phones from Dec. 12-17 found that 54 percent of respondents opposed the wall and 43 percent supported it. A Harvard CAPS/Harris online survey of 1,407 registered voters conducted Dec. 24-26 found that 56 percent of those surveyed did not support a wall, while 44 percent did.

Just 35 percent of those surveyed supported including money for the wall in a federal spending bill, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll of 2,440 adults conducted online Dec. 21-25.

More than two-thirds of Americans don’t think the wall should be a priority, according to a poll of 1,075 adults by NPR, PBS News Hour and Marist. That poll was conducted Nov. 28-Dec. 4 using live telephone interviews to reach both landlines and cell phones.

Regardless of Americans’ opinions about the wall, they’re not happy with how the government shutdown is being handled by either Congress or Trump. Just 18 percent of Americans polled say they approve of how Congress has handled the shutdown, with 60 percent disapproving, a new HuffPost/YouGov survey finds. As for Trump, 38 percent approve of how he’s handling it, and 49 percent disapprove, according to the poll.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

So over twice as many Americans approve of Trump vs congress and the shutdown.

Wow. Over double.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Charliesheen wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:46 pm So over twice as many Americans approve of Trump vs congress and the shutdown.

Wow. Over double.
The Republican Congress
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

6 billion for a symbol eh? Just build three new Destroyers and name them the USS Wetback USS Beaner and USS Spic
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

Biker wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:49 pm
Also please note the sampling, which you failed to post (I wonder why? )

https://poll.qu.edu/images/polling/us/u ... bwn20.pdf/

Moreover, the wall isnt just about the physical structure, its a symbol of those who oppose illegal immigration and those who prefer to give it a shoulder shrug (or worse, support open borders).

Go ahead, overplay this hand and watch as your asses get handed to you
Make sure to point out in the sampling what you think discredits whats in the poll. But yeah I'll make sure to outline the exhaustive methodology of every poll posted to muddy up the conversation. Lulz. There is also more than one poll mentioned there, you provided methodology for one of them instead of actually presenting a poll that shows people are on the side of the President in support of the wall. Distraction fail number two.

Yes the wall and the money for the wall is very much about the physical structure. You have created a strawman that the only options are a giant expensive wall or open borders and shoulder shrugs. Fail number three. Things are going great for you in this thread!
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

stymiegreen wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:39 pm
Biker wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:45 pm Its cute that the Dems think they have the American public on their side in this issue
Make sure to post your proof that people support the wall or even the shutdown to support the wall. I'll leave the lights on.
quote wrote:Trump Says Country Wants Border Wall, But That’s Not What Polls Say

And opponents can’t call the White House switchboard to let the president know because it’s not working due to the government shutdown.
headshot

By Mary Papenfuss

President Donald Trump insisted again Thursday that there’s “so much support” his border wall. But polls contradict him.

“The people of our country want it,” Trump declared at a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room Thursday to plead for the wall

“I have never had so much support as I have in the last week over my stance for border security ... or, frankly, the wall or the barrier. I have never had anything like it in terms of calls coming in, in terms of people writing in and tweeting. I’ve never had this much support,” he added.

Trump was apparently referring to personal calls he has received. Neither the White House switchboard nor the call-in phone line to leave recorded comments is functioning because of the government shutdown. “We apologize, but due to the lapse in federal funding, we are unable to take your call,” a recorded message on the switchboard states.

But no poll has found that a majority of Americans support the wall or funding for the wall, or see it as a priority.

A Quinnipiac poll of 1,147 voters reached on landlines or cell phones from Dec. 12-17 found that 54 percent of respondents opposed the wall and 43 percent supported it. A Harvard CAPS/Harris online survey of 1,407 registered voters conducted Dec. 24-26 found that 56 percent of those surveyed did not support a wall, while 44 percent did.

Just 35 percent of those surveyed supported including money for the wall in a federal spending bill, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll of 2,440 adults conducted online Dec. 21-25.

More than two-thirds of Americans don’t think the wall should be a priority, according to a poll of 1,075 adults by NPR, PBS News Hour and Marist. That poll was conducted Nov. 28-Dec. 4 using live telephone interviews to reach both landlines and cell phones.

Regardless of Americans’ opinions about the wall, they’re not happy with how the government shutdown is being handled by either Congress or Trump. Just 18 percent of Americans polled say they approve of how Congress has handled the shutdown, with 60 percent disapproving, a new HuffPost/YouGov survey finds. As for Trump, 38 percent approve of how he’s handling it, and 49 percent disapprove, according to the poll.
I always suspect polls. I'd love to see how the questions were worded.

Was it: Do you want increased border security? Check either yes or no.

Or was it: Should impoverished people be denied a life? Check yes or no.
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

Biker wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:44 pm
stymiegreen wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:58 pm
Biker wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:49 pm
Also please note the sampling, which you failed to post (I wonder why? )

https://poll.qu.edu/images/polling/us/u ... bwn20.pdf/

Moreover, the wall isnt just about the physical structure, its a symbol of those who oppose illegal immigration and those who prefer to give it a shoulder shrug (or worse, support open borders).

Go ahead, overplay this hand and watch as your asses get handed to you
Make sure to point out in the sampling what you think discredits whats in the poll. But yeah I'll make sure to outline the exhaustive methodology of every poll posted to muddy up the conversation. Lulz. There is also more than one poll mentioned there, you provided methodology for one of them instead of actually presenting a poll that shows people are on the side of the President in support of the wall. Distraction fail number two.

Yes the wall and the money for the wall is very much about the physical structure. You have created a strawman that the only options are a giant expensive wall or open borders and shoulder shrugs. Fail number three. Things are going great for you in this thread!
You think a 20% tilt in Dem v GOP is insignificant?
Where are you getting 20% from I see 5%:

Sometimes I wonder if conservatives on this site even read anything that is posted here. We can't even see basic numbers the same anymore. Lulz.
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

Biker wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:05 pm
stymiegreen wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:53 pm
Biker wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:44 pm

You think a 20% tilt in Dem v GOP is insignificant?
Where are you getting 20% from I see 5%:

Sometimes I wonder if conservatives on this site even read anything that is posted here. We can't even see basic numbers the same anymore. Lulz.
5% in points, 20% more in representation.

Sometimes, actually never, I wonder if libs have a hard time with the maths
20% more in representation where? You're making up your own math now Trump Jr. Am I supposed to be mind-reading some other number you are referencing that isn't in the methodology you posted?
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

9 things you should know before Trump starts spewing lies in Tuesday address to the nation

Sally Kohn

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... UA?ocid=sf

Tuesday evening, President Donald Trump will speak to the American people about his demands for a southern border wall, which have led him to shut down the government. He will, undoubtedly, gin up fear about a “crisis” mounting at the US-Mexico border. Here are nine things you should know in advance of his speech — incidentally, nine things that I wish Trump would correctly acknowledge in his speech, too.

After all, Trump has been hyping fears about violence stemming from the United States/Mexico border since the early moments of his presidential campaign. In June 2015, for instance, he painted an ugly picture of Mexican migrants crossing the border. “They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists,” Trump said. He has kept up his fearmongering about the border, but ramped it up in recent weeks as justification for his sudden decision to shut down the federal government because neither Democrats nor Republicans in his own party will approve funding for Trump’s border wall. He has tweeted about “our VERY DANGEROUS SOUTHERN BORDER” and even threatened to declare a state of emergency to build the wall that he insists is not only needed but is also needed now more than ever.

Trump is simply, on these and related points, incorrect. Here are the key facts:

►Illegal border crossings are down. Significantly.

In 2000, 1.6 million people were apprehended trying to cross the southern border into the United States. In 2001, 1.3 million were apprehended. In 2018? Less than 400,000. That’s not just a decline. It’s a significant decline.

a large building with a mountain in the background: A section of the U.S.-Mexico border fence© Provided by USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Satellite Information Network, Inc. A section of the U.S.-Mexico border fence
A lot of the decline was because of the recession, which dried up jobs migrants were seeking to fill. But if we’re being fair, apprehension numbers reached a low of about 310,000 in 2017 in part because of increased border enforcement and fear of Trump and his anti-immigrant policies.

►The counties along the southern border are among the safest in the United States.

According to data from the Wilson Center, as summarized by The Washington Post, “The crime rates in U.S. border counties are lower than the average for similarly sized inland counties, with two exceptions out of 23 total.”

Anti-immigrant conservatives like to talk about how undocumented immigrants are supposedly menacing border communities and making border states less safe. Recently, in a segment with me on CNN, conservative radio host and Trump supporter Ben Ferguson shouted, “Talk to people in Texas! I’m in Texas right now! People here … have been killed by illegal immigrants that come across the border illegally. And you say it’s fearmongering!?”

Yes, I do. And I’m not the only one. Christopher Wilson, deputy director of the Wilson Center, told The Post, “There is no doubt the U.S. side (of the border) is a very safe place.”

►Most undocumented immigrants don’t “sneak” across the border.

The majority of immigrants in the USA without authorization first entered the country legally, and then overstayed their visas. The Center for Migration Studies said in a 2017 report that crossing the border is not the way “the large majority of persons now becoming undocumented.” It reported that two-thirds of undocumented immigrants entered the U.S. legally and then simply overstayed their visas. If you legitimately are concerned about the issue of undocumented immigrants, as opposed to just exacerbating and exploiting fearmongering for political gain, then this is where you would focus — not the border.

►The White House is lying about terrorists crossing the southern border.

In an interview on Fox News this weekend, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders insisted that “nearly 4,000 known or suspected terrorists come into our country illegally, and we know that our most vulnerable point of entry is at our southern border.” Sanders' careful wording suggests she knew she was more than bending the truth. Fox News anchor Chris Wallace fact-checked Sanders: “Do you know where those 4,000 people come, where they are captured? Airports.”

“The state department says there hasn’t been any terrorists found coming across the southern border,” Wallace stated. But Sanders kept pressing the lie, because Trump’s anti-immigrant agenda relies on fact-less fearmongering.

►Migrant caravans aren’t “sneaking” across the border, either.

If you care about facts, it’s important to distinguish between illegal border crossings and migrants lawfully presenting themselves at southern ports of entry in order to apply for asylum. The simple fact is that large groups of very visible migrants, such as the main so-called migrant caravan of people fleeing violence in Central America, are obviously not trying to “sneak” across the U.S. border. They’re coming to the border to apply for asylum, which was a completely transparent and lawful process until Trump started changing the rules.

►Drugs entering the USA across the southern border are most often hidden in legal shipments.

Trump has suggested that the flow of heroin into the United States would be stanched by his border wall. He’s right that 90 percent of heroin enters through the southern border. However, according to the Drug Enforcement Agency, “illicit drugs are smuggled into the United States in concealed compartments within passenger vehicles or commingled with legitimate goods on tractor trailers.”

In other words, a wall wouldn’t stop most heroin from entering the country. And arguably, resources spent on the wall would divert from other enforcement mechanisms, such as more officers and technology at ports of entry to scan vehicles for drugs.

It’s also noteworthy that in ramping up prosecution of migrants trying to enter the United States, the Trump administration actually reduced prosecution of drug traffickers. Last June saw the fewest such prosecutions in two decades.

►Conservative political figures and think tanks think Trump’s wall is pointless.

What apparently began as a memory device to help the undisciplined Trump remember what to thunder about during campaign appearances has turned into a central bone the president won’t let go of. But there’s a reason Trump couldn’t get funding for his wall during the past two years of his presidency when his own party completely controlled both houses of Congress: They didn’t want it. The New York Times reports that leading anti-immigration activists are concerned Trump’s focus on the “relatively ineffectual” wall is distracting from other strategies they would like prioritized.

For instance, Republican Rep. Will Hurd, from the border state of Texas, said in 2017, “I’ve made it clear time and time again that building a physical wall from sea to shining sea is the most expensive and least effective way to secure the border.” The conservative Cato Institute has called Trump’s wall idea “impractical, expensive and ineffective.” One might suspect that more Republicans would speak out against Trump’s stupid wall idea if they weren’t afraid of alienating the right-wing GOP base.

►There are already 654 miles of border fencing.

The U.S.-Mexico border is 1,933 miles long. Of that, 34 percent already has a wall or a fence — in particular, parts along the areas of the border that are most easily accessed by people traveling by car or on foot. That’s right, there’s already a wall along 654 miles of the U.S. border. What’s the rest? Huge mountains and rivers and vast stretches of land that are privately owned, which the United States would have to seize through eminent domain if Trump got his way. Mind you, those areas aren’t completely open — they’re actively patrolled using sensors and drones and other technology, the sorts of things experts say actually work.

Here it’s worth noting that the less than 400,000 people who were trying to cross the border in 2018 were arrested. They were caught and detained and deported. Because of our already extremely highly militarized and aggressive border patrol efforts.

►Americans do not support Trump’s wall.

“The people of our country want it,” Trump said recently. No, they do not. A mid-December poll found that 54 percent of respondents opposed Trump’s wall. That number even crept up slightly by late December. And more than two out of three Americans don’t think the wall should be a political priority. It’s also worth noting that most Americans blame Trump for the government shutdown that he initiated by trying to hold government funding hostage to get his stupid wall.

Americans don’t support Trump’s wall because they know the truth — that we have a tough immigration and border enforcement system already working, and way bigger problems to focus on fixing in our nation.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

No, its exactly about the wall and nothing more than that...….but now the Repubs see that isn't playing well and so they are trying to create a fake crises, reinvent facts and create boogeymen that aren't there. It was about hordes of illegal immigrants but that really didn't play out because most of them are just getting off a plane. Now we need to build a wall because of terrorist coming through the desert that don't exist......the opioids that actualy are coming from our own pharmaceutical companies and the cartel drugs that are really coming through the border just like everything else. legal ports of entry.
This is just about this Presidents ego and feeding into the racist pearl clutching of his base. There is no basis in reality for this wall. Its a waste of time and money and when you Rethugs keep lying we will keep calling you out on it. Lying fucking liars.
I blame Biker.
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

Biker wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:37 pm
stymiegreen wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:11 pm

20% more in representation where? You're making up your own math now Trump Jr. Am I supposed to be mind-reading some other number you are referencing that isn't in the methodology you posted?
If both parties were represented equally at 25%,what would the percent increase be if you raised one party to 30% while keeping the other at 25%?
So you'll only accept poll results where there is an exact proportional distribution for all respondents? OK guy. If you have 3 groups represented and they are all roughly around 30% out of 100 that is a pretty even distribution for a random poll. Especially when Independents are most represented and they are likely a combination of both groups in their views. But anything that fits your argument I guess.

You made a claim and once again provided no data to support it. All you did was attempt to shit on one of the polls that was provided by making a weak claim about how representative it was. Yawn. I'll still leave the lights on for any poll or data you want to provide that supports your glib contention that Trump and the Repubs have broad support across the country for the wall or the shutdown.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

Wut wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:41 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:08 pm I'm gonna watch it just to count the lies.
Could be a drinking game.
Better stock up on a lot of drinks for that one. :lol:
DandyDon
Redneck Commie

Post by DandyDon »

Just a reminder.

Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

I blame Biker.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

At least he kept his speech short this time, only 11 minutes. The added time they allowed the democrats after his speech completely shredded him though.
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:56 am At least he kept his speech short this time, only 11 minutes. The added time they allowed the democrats after his speech completely shredded him though.
Nothing those two halfwits said shredded anyone.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

stymiegreen wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:11 pm

If both parties were represented equally at 25%,what would the percent increase be if you raised one party to 30% while keeping the other at 25%?

Your assumption that both parties are represented equally in the population as a whole is simply wrong.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/part ... ation.aspx
Party affiliation polling actually produces about the same breakdown as the sample found there. Minority rule does not apply to polling.
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

3655CEFD-E691-49DD-881F-C12B92690404.jpeg
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Biker wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:00 pm
analhamster wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 am

Your assumption that both parties are represented equally in the population as a whole is simply wrong.
Party affiliation polling actually produces about the same breakdown as the sample found there. Minority rule does not apply to polling.
Thats where California and NY skew the pool.
Skew it how?
wut?
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

Wut wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:27 pm
Biker wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:00 pm
analhamster wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 am

Thats where California and NY skew the pool.
Skew it how?
Well, those 60 million people don't really count.