A Perfect Game - Except for that weird baseball rule

Other people doing physical activities

Moderator: hawkfan8812

Animal
The Great Pretender

A Perfect Game - Except for that weird baseball rule

Post by Animal »

Baltimore Orioles pitcher John Means threw the third no-hitter of the 2021 MLB season Wednesday against the Seattle Mariners -- and might have thrown a perfect game but for one weird baseball rule after a strikeout.

Means struck out 12 Mariners batters and was just one unusual play away from throwing a perfect game.
In the third inning of the game at Seattle's T-Mobile Park, Means struck out Mariners batter Sam Haggerty, who swung at a curveball.
The pitch, though, got through the legs of Orioles catcher Pedro Severino, and Haggerty took advantage of an odd baseball rule to make a run for first base.
In baseball's dropped third-strike rule -- "perhaps the strangest rule in professional sports," according to MLB.com -- a batter is allowed to make a run for first base even after striking out if the catcher doesn't catch the pitch before it hits the ground.
Severino threw out Haggerty trying to steal second base later in the inning, so Means still ended up facing the minimum 27 batters in the game.
According to MLB.com, Means still made history, as he is the "first pitcher in history to throw a no-hitter in which the only baserunner came via the dropped third strike rule."
Had Means achieved the perfect game, it would have been the first in the big leagues since 2012.
Means is the first Orioles pitcher to throw a complete game no-hitter since Hall of Famer Jim Palmer accomplished the feat in 1969.
The Orioles won the game 6-0.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: A Perfect Game - Except for that weird baseball rule

Post by Reservoir Dog »

That rule is almost as stupid as the "goaltending" rule in basketball. :roll:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
spudoc
Most Likely To Have a Neckbeard

Post by spudoc »

Aren't pretty much all rules in sports in general, but in baseball specifically, a little weird?
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:42 pm That rule is almost as stupid as the "goaltending" rule in basketball. :roll:
:lol:

Crazy that there have been two games one pitch away from being perfect in a month. Musgrove was a hit batter away from perfect. Obviously a step below this one but still potentially one pitch away
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

I dont mind the rule. Its hard enough to get on base so it just adds another opportunity.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:09 am I dont mind the rule. Its hard enough to get on base so it just adds another opportunity.
I hope RD was joking, its a fun rule. And basketball without goaltending calls would be more unwatchable than it is now.
spudoc
Most Likely To Have a Neckbeard

Post by spudoc »

Burn1dwn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:32 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:09 am I dont mind the rule. Its hard enough to get on base so it just adds another opportunity.
I hope RD was joking, its a fun rule. And basketball without goaltending calls would be more unwatchable than it is now.
And the article makes it sound like it is some kind of obscure rule. Every night in baseball there are probably 3-4 times a game where a pitcher will bury a breaking ball for strike three and the catcher will either tag the hitter or throw down to first to record the out
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

RD isn’t very bright
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Biker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:00 am
RD isn’t very bright
Hey, it just popped up in my feed. :roll:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

RD has exceeded his use of the Eye Roll Smilie. Each user is given a lifetime supply when they join and this is the first time one user has bankrupt his cache. RD will now have to browse through the remaining available smilies and look for another one to use.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 pm RD has exceeded his use of the Eye Roll Smilie. Each user is given a lifetime supply when they join and this is the first time one user has bankrupt his cache. RD will now have to browse through the remaining available smilies and look for another one to use.
No.