The San Diego Padres are going all-in !!!

Other people doing physical activities

Moderator: hawkfan8812

spudoc
Most Likely To Have a Neckbeard

Re: The San Diego Padres are going all-in !!!

Post by spudoc »

Burn1dwn wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:17 am Not to hijack thread but.....

With so many Lambda Lambda Lambda brothers running MLB teams you would think Baseball should still be a thinking man's game but sadly the opposite is true. Analytical decisions are changing Pitching. Things like pulling Snell in Game 6 because it would be his third time through order. Using Openers (and then taxing your bullpen) instead of a less effective starting pitcher.

On the offensive side we have strategy and skills, like hit and runs and putting the ball in play by choking up on bat with 2 strikes, going the way of the dodo bird because.... Launch Angle yo! Pretty soon non RBI singles will be frowned upon.

This quote from Ichiro at his retirement presser (in Tokyo) says it all. Coming from him it should have started a bigger discussion.
Ichiro wrote:The baseball played in America in 2019 has completely changed since I arrived in 2001. It’s moving toward a game where you can now get by without using your head. I wonder how this might change. I don’t see this trend stopping over the next five years, or 10 years or for the forseeable future. Fundamentals mean nothing. Perhaps saying that might cause trouble. (Saying) that looks like it definitely will be a problem.

On a fundamental level, baseball is a game that requires thinking. That it’s losing that makes me sick. America is baseball’s birthplace, and I believer that a lot of people have a sense of urgency over what the game is becoming. So I think there is no need for Japan’s game to follow America’s. The Japanese game should be a thinking, interesting brand of ball.l As long as this trend in America does not stop, I hope Japanese ball doesn’t change and that we remember to cherish it.
Joey Gallo and guys like him are what is wrong with baseball today. Back in the day Dave Kingman was an oddity and considered somewhat of a joke. Gallo is a modern day Kingman
spudoc

Post by spudoc »

Also, an aside on Ichiro. Bob Costas asked him what his favorite English language expression he heard his first season in the majors. Ichiro said it was “August in Kansas City is hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock”
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

spudoc wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:47 am
Burn1dwn wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:17 am Not to hijack thread but.....

With so many Lambda Lambda Lambda brothers running MLB teams you would think Baseball should still be a thinking man's game but sadly the opposite is true. Analytical decisions are changing Pitching. Things like pulling Snell in Game 6 because it would be his third time through order. Using Openers (and then taxing your bullpen) instead of a less effective starting pitcher.

On the offensive side we have strategy and skills, like hit and runs and putting the ball in play by choking up on bat with 2 strikes, going the way of the dodo bird because.... Launch Angle yo! Pretty soon non RBI singles will be frowned upon.

This quote from Ichiro at his retirement presser (in Tokyo) says it all. Coming from him it should have started a bigger discussion.
Ichiro wrote:The baseball played in America in 2019 has completely changed since I arrived in 2001. It’s moving toward a game where you can now get by without using your head. I wonder how this might change. I don’t see this trend stopping over the next five years, or 10 years or for the forseeable future. Fundamentals mean nothing. Perhaps saying that might cause trouble. (Saying) that looks like it definitely will be a problem.

On a fundamental level, baseball is a game that requires thinking. That it’s losing that makes me sick. America is baseball’s birthplace, and I believer that a lot of people have a sense of urgency over what the game is becoming. So I think there is no need for Japan’s game to follow America’s. The Japanese game should be a thinking, interesting brand of ball.l As long as this trend in America does not stop, I hope Japanese ball doesn’t change and that we remember to cherish it.
Joey Gallo and guys like him are what is wrong with baseball today. Back in the day Dave Kingman was an oddity and considered somewhat of a joke. Gallo is a modern day Kingman
Bingo! Probably Flumpers favorite player.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

spudoc wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:56 am Also, an aside on Ichiro. Bob Costas asked him what his favorite English language expression he heard his first season in the majors. Ichiro said it was “August in Kansas City is hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock”
:lol: Did he say who told him? If it was a team mate Mike Cameron, Buhner or Bret Boone would be my 3 guesses. Or at least I hope it was one of them.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Just for shits and giggles I bet $25 bucks on the Padres to win the World Series. :lol:

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
spudoc

Post by spudoc »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:29 pm Just for shits and giggles I bet $25 bucks on the Padres to win the World Series. :lol:

Do the Padres have a lights out closer? Any more that's seems to be the key to winning it all.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

spudoc wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:41 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:29 pm Just for shits and giggles I bet $25 bucks on the Padres to win the World Series. :lol:

Do the Padres have a lights out closer? Any more that's seems to be the key to winning it all.
They won't need one. They'll win every game by 10 runs. :D
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:30 am And then you've got the "Bullpen Game" where teams use a bullpen pitcher to open the game. It's a new trend, but it's gaining traction.
Out of all the changes, this one probably bugs me the least. Maybe it is because I am a Padres Fan and their 4th and 5th starters have pretty much been "Openers" for 20 years. :lol:
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

They are trying to resign Yates (who was lights out for a couple years before injury last year) and pretty sure they are out on Rosenthal who was their closer last year after deadline. Right now they would be rolling with Pomeranz.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:59 pm
B-Tender wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:42 pm
Burn1dwn wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:27 pm
spudoc wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:04 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:56 pm
spudoc wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:51 pm

Darvish was terrible for the Dodgers in the Astros series. And didn't need advance notice to turn on his cement mixer sliders. And for reference, Kershaw is considered a generational talent and he was garbage in the post season (until this year.)
For the record... Darvish won the games he pitched in the ALDS and ALCS that year.
You've got one game you absolutely need to win. Are you going with Darvish?
No. Snell or a healthy Lamet (possibly a healthy Clevinger) would get my nod. But I would start him over Davies or Paddack.
The days of the lone gunslinger are almost gone. Unless a starter is completely dominating, in a one game situation, there will be a pitching by committee for most teams.
Back in October in game 6 of the World Series, Tampa manager Kevin Cash pulled Blake Snell even though he had pitched 5 1/3 scoreless innings and still had a low pitch count. Brutal.
They lost the game and the World Series.
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought I saw the other team starting to get to him before they took him out.

Maybe it was just a hiccup or two on his part though.
spudoc

Post by spudoc »

Burn1dwn wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:14 pm

They are trying to resign Yates (who was lights out for a couple years before injury last year) and pretty sure they are out on Rosenthal who was their closer last year after deadline. Right now they would be rolling with Pomeranz.
Pomeranz has the stain of the Rockies on him. You can’t bet your future on a former Rockies pitcher.