Miguel Cabrera Hits 500th homer

Other people doing physical activities

Moderator: hawkfan8812

CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Miguel Cabrera Hits 500th homer

Post by CHEEZY17 »

There was a stretch where he was the most feared hitter in the league. He could hit for power and average. My personal favorite highlights were watching him hit 2 walk off homers on consecutive nights against Mariano Rivera and the Hated Yankees. You Yankee haters can thank the Tigers for consistently beating the Yankees in the playoffs for awhile there. Some call him the best right handed hitter ever.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Miguel Cabrera Hits 500th homer

Post by Reservoir Dog »

It's a shame he had to play for the Tigers. But at least he got a ring before he went there.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:14 pm It's a shame he had to play for the Tigers. But at least he got a ring before he went there.
It's a real shame those prime Tigers teams never got a ring. 2 embarrassing World Series performances are their legacy. That said, they were top contenders for a long stretch there. Dave Dombrowski giving the keys to the best team in baseball to a rookie manager will never be forgotten or forgiven by Tiger fans. I firmly believe that move cost the team immeasurably.
Cabrera in his prime powering those teams, winning a triple crown, multiple MVP's and batting titles will be remembered fondly.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

At least he won it with the Marlins. Dude was a badass in his prime.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Cabrera and Pujols, two of the best, and had similar careers.
spudoc
Most Likely To Have a Neckbeard

Post by spudoc »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:37 am There was a stretch where he was the most feared hitter in the league. He could hit for power and average. My personal favorite highlights were watching him hit 2 walk off homers on consecutive nights against Mariano Rivera and the Hated Yankees. You Yankee haters can thank the Tigers for consistently beating the Yankees in the playoffs for awhile there. Some call him the best right handed hitter ever.
Really? Over Aaron?
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

spudoc wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:21 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:37 am There was a stretch where he was the most feared hitter in the league. He could hit for power and average. My personal favorite highlights were watching him hit 2 walk off homers on consecutive nights against Mariano Rivera and the Hated Yankees. You Yankee haters can thank the Tigers for consistently beating the Yankees in the playoffs for awhile there. Some call him the best right handed hitter ever.
Really? Over Aaron?
Aaron was incredibly good for a long time. Cabrera bests him in several hitting categories though. Its one of those things thats thrown out there by the pundits. I dont necessarily believe it but I do know that in his prime Cabrera was really fucking good. I would say it is safe to say he would be in the conversation.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:33 pm
Really? Over Aaron?
Aaron was incredibly good for a long time. Cabrera bests him in several hitting categories though. Its one of those things thats thrown out there by the pundits. I dont necessarily believe it but I do know that in his prime Cabrera was really fucking good. I would say it is safe to say he would be in the conversation.
Is he HOF material?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:37 pm
Really? Over Aaron?
Is he HOF material?
Cabrera? Thats a joke right?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:38 pm
Really? Over Aaron?
Is he HOF material?
Yeah, I don't think so either.
spudoc

Post by spudoc »

Really? Over Aaron?
Aaron; 3771 hits, 624 doubles, 98 triples, 755 homers, 2297 rbis, 2174 runs, .305 batting average
Cabrera; 2955 hits, 591 doubles, 17 triples, 500 homers, 1785 rbis, 1498 runs, .311 batting average.

Nothing against Cabrera, he was one of the biggest offensive threats of his generation and certainly an all time great. But he can only sniff the greatness that was Hank Aaron. If Aaron had played in New York baseball would have changed it's name to Aaron ball. (disclaimer; I'm not a Braves fan at all Clemente was my guy when I was a little kid though I only caught the very end of his career. )
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

spudoc wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:55 pm
Really? Over Aaron?
Aaron; 3771 hits, 624 doubles, 98 triples, 755 homers, 2297 rbis, 2174 runs, .305 batting average
Cabrera; 2955 hits, 591 doubles, 17 triples, 500 homers, 1785 rbis, 1498 runs, .311 batting average.

Nothing against Cabrera, he was one of the biggest offensive threats of his generation and certainly an all time great. But he can only sniff the greatness that was Hank Aaron. If Aaron had played in New York baseball would have changed it's name to Aaron ball. (disclaimer; I'm not a Braves fan at all Clemente was my guy when I was a little kid though I only caught the very end of his career. )
Those are all impressive but its not like Cabrera doesnt beat Aaron in anything: Batting Average, fewer strike outs and higher OBP and virtually identical OPS. Dont forget Cabrera is still active. I'd say there is a real good chance he passes Aaron in doubles next year. Look its something the local pundits say and its not a hill I'm willing to die on. Aaron was an incredible player and looking at the side by side stats it looks like I'd also give the nod to Hank.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:44 pm
Really? Over Aaron?
Is he HOF material?
OK, chief. You and I both know he'll be in first ballot.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:38 am
Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Really? Over Aaron?
Is he HOF material?
OK, chief. You and I both know he'll be in first ballot.
Just a little sports razzing, dude. There's a fair number of Detroit sports fans around these parts. For those of us who aren't, razzing on the Tigers, Lions, Pistons, and Red Wings is almost considered a hobby. :lol:
spudoc

Post by spudoc »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:37 am
Really? Over Aaron?

Those are all impressive but its not like Cabrera doesnt beat Aaron in anything: Batting Average, fewer strike outs and higher OBP and virtually identical OPS. Dont forget Cabrera is still active. I'd say there is a real good chance he passes Aaron in doubles next year. Look its something the local pundits say and its not a hill I'm willing to die on. Aaron was an incredible player and looking at the side by side stats it looks like I'd also give the nod to Hank.
Not to nitpick but Cabrera has 600 more strikeouts in almost 3000 less at bats
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

does pitching get better as time goes on? making it difficult to compare batters from one time frame to another? And how do you factor in ballparks when comparing hitters? if you play half your games at home and some parks are easier to hit, etc.? its like comparing heavyweight boxers from one era to another.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Animal wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:40 pm does pitching get better as time goes on? making it difficult to compare batters from one time frame to another? And how do you factor in ballparks when comparing hitters? if you play half your games at home and some parks are easier to hit, etc.? its like comparing heavyweight boxers from one era to another.
I think it ebbs and flows over time. Pitchers are bigger and stronger now on average, and are throwing much harder than they used to. However, there are more teams, and therefore more pitchers in the league, potentially watering down the collective talent. Batters these days care less about base hits, and swing much more for power, resulting in more strikeouts.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

Really? Over Aaron?

bonds; 2935 hits, 601 doubles, 77 triples, 762 homers, 1996 rbis, 2227 runs, .298 batting average, 2558 BB, 1539 strike outs, obp .444, slg .607

I added a few stats for you
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

pork wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:59 pm
Really? Over Aaron?

bonds; 2935 hits, 601 doubles, 77 triples, 762 homers, 1996 rbis, 2227 runs, .298 batting average, 2558 BB, 1539 strike outs, obp .444, slg .607

I added a few stats for you
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

imho...in the not to far future batters will hit 100 dingers a year no problem
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

pork wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:11 pm imho...in the not to far future batters will hit 100 dingers a year no problem
And strikeout 800 times. :lol:
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

thats generous. i am guessing 1000+
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

isn't one good stat for great hitters the number of walks they have? don't pitchers pitch around a lot of them? I thought I read one time that Babe Ruth had some ridiculous number of walks.

Rank Player (yrs, age) Bases on Balls Bats
1. Barry Bonds (22) 2558 L
2. Rickey Henderson+ (25) 2190 R
3. Babe Ruth+ (22) 2062 L
4. Ted Williams+ (19) 2021 L
5. Joe Morgan+ (22) 1865 L
6. Carl Yastrzemski+ (23) 1845 L
7. Jim Thome+ (22) 1747 L
8. Mickey Mantle+ (18) 1733 B
9. Mel Ott+ (22) 1708 L
10. Frank Thomas+ (19) 1667 R
11. Eddie Yost (18) 1614 R
12. Darrell Evans (21) 1605 L
13. Stan Musial+ (22) 1599 L
14. Pete Rose (24) 1566 B
15. Harmon Killebrew+ (22) 1559 R
16. Chipper Jones+ (19) 1512 B
17. Lou Gehrig+ (17) 1508 L
18. Mike Schmidt+ (18) 1507 R
19. Eddie Collins+ (25) 1499 L
20. Bobby Abreu (18) 1476 L
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

pork wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:50 pm thats generous. i am guessing 1000+
Whoa! Imagine a player getting 1000+ at bats in a single season! :eek:
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:51 pm isn't one good stat for great hitters the number of walks they have? don't pitchers pitch around a lot of them? I thought I read one time that Babe Ruth had some ridiculous number of walks.
Plate discipline. Some guys got it. Some don't.
Barry Bonds was the King.