Anybody know anything about oven heating elements

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

WestTexasCrude

Anybody know anything about oven heating elements

Post by WestTexasCrude »

My heating element in my 35 yr+ GE oven is going out. I'm pretty sure GE doesn't make ones for ovens that old. I've googled and YouTubed the subject, I still can't figure out if those are universal or not, depending on the electrical configuration of the oven. Any help would be appreciated.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Anybody know anything about oven heating elements

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Buy an oven you fucking cheapskate.
wut?
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Post a picture.....oh never mind.
I blame Biker.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i don't know much about 35 year old ovens, but i would think that its pretty much universal. it should unplug the same as the heating elements on top of the stove unplug.

Unplug it and post a pic, or unplug it and go to home depot and get one like it.

AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

They are not universal, some are compatible but generally just from the same manufacturer. Buy a new oven. Or stick your head in it before the element craps out completely. Either way.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Flumper wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:28 pm i don't know much about 35 year old ovens, but i would think that its pretty much universal. it should unplug the same as the heating elements on top of the stove unplug.

Unplug it and post a pic, or unplug it and go to home depot and get one like it.

That's kind of what I expected until I started reading that it had to be compatible with the volt/amp output of the oven. Thus, my asking for help.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

It looks like all you need is a phillips head screwdriver to take out two screws and then you pull it out to unseat the two prongs. Can you handle that Dr. WTC?
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

Texas Man Dies In Oven Explosion. Details At 11.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:10 am
That's kind of what I expected until I started reading that it had to be compatible with the volt/amp output of the oven. Thus, my asking for help.
well, take the damn thing out first and look at it. it might be marked with volts/amps or it might have a model number or something. i doubt 35 years ago that they had hundreds of different heating elements for various ovens.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Cut open the firewall for a clutch and drop a 360 in it
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Flumper wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:19 am
well, take the damn thing out first and look at it. it might be marked with volts/amps or it might have a model number or something. i doubt 35 years ago that they had hundreds of different heating elements for various ovens.
I'm pretty sure you can use the model # of the oven to get the suitable replacement part.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

captquint wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:22 am Cut open the firewall for a clutch and drop a 360 in it
Don't forget the hacksaw.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

captquint wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:22 am Cut open the firewall for a clutch and drop a 360 in it
I did it though. I used a 360 because it came from a totaled Cordoba (they discontinued the 340 in the late 70's) with only 8k miles on it, and was the cheapest alternative compared to completely rebuilding an older 340. It was the console on the floor panel that I had to cut out & change though, because it was different than an automatic when I changed it to a manual. Meanwhile fiddling around with cars was just a side hobby I had because I was going to college for a business/IT degree at the time. I had that car on the road needing just some cosmetics and sold it at a profit. I know dude, I'm talented. 8-)
JackRabbit_Slim
Have Sister, Will Bang

Post by JackRabbit_Slim »

I've got a counter top range by Bosch which is new and I love... my oven however is vintage Whirlpool and built into the wall. Oven on top, broiler down below. Anytime I have an issue I just call the old guys who service appliances in my tiny ass town. They seem fully capable of sourcing any necessary parts. I usually say something like, "Hey guys, should I just replace this thing?" to which they usually say, "hey, it's a $20 part and whatever you buy will be no where the quality this thing is. They just don't build em like this anymore." My washer and dryer are the same story, vintage Maytag/Speed Queen and the guys say the same thing. "Don't ever get rid of this, new shit won't last 10 years."
"you have a fine boy there..." CaptGotti
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:30 am
I did it though. I used a 360 because it came from a totaled Cordoba (they discontinued the 340 in the late 70's) with only 8k miles on it, and was the cheapest alternative compared to completely rebuilding an older 340. It was the console on the floor panel that I had to cut out & change though, because it was different than an automatic when I changed it to a manual. Meanwhile fiddling around with cars was just a side hobby I had because I was going to college for a business/IT degree at the time. I had that car on the road needing just some cosmetics and sold it at a profit. I know dude, I'm talented. 8-)
Cordoba :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll bet you pulled the seats too for the Corinthian leather.
Last edited by megman on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 pm My heating element in my 35 yr+ GE oven is going out. I'm pretty sure GE doesn't make ones for ovens that old. I've googled and YouTubed the subject, I still can't figure out if those are universal or not, depending on the electrical configuration of the oven. Any help would be appreciated.
Buy a gas stove. With all that oil you've got sitting around.....
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

megman wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:51 am
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:30 am
Cordoba :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep, it's a goofy car. But I used the engine from it, that's all. Meanwhile the Dodge Challenger went on to be an epic show car that they brought back to life to this day. Girls loved it too. I was ahead of my time. 8-)
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

WestTexasCrude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 pm My heating element in my 35 yr+ GE oven is going out. I'm pretty sure GE doesn't make ones for ovens that old. I've googled and YouTubed the subject, I still can't figure out if those are universal or not, depending on the electrical configuration of the oven. Any help would be appreciated.
That is ironic that he uses an electric stove as opposed to gas where he's at.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Biker wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:55 am
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:54 am
That is ironic that he uses an electric stove as opposed to gas where he's at.
Moron
As usual you add nothing to the discussion except being an ignorant and abusive cunt. What does your father say about that?
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

His father says you’re a moron, too
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

HighNDry wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:07 am His father says you’re a moron, too
Oh, so out of nowhere Biker calls me a moron (as he does on a continual basis) and I call him out for being an abusive douche. Somehow that's my fault? Meanwhile, you jump into a conversation that you have nothing to do with. Get a life idiot! I thought we already discussed that we would put each other on ignore. Apparently you're not man enough to live up to your word either. For some reason I'm not surprised. :roll:
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Don't Boss me. I have an ex-wife that does that.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:24 am
Well, since you're asking for a favor here and people are going out of their way to help you, I think all they're asking is that you try to help out too to solve the problem WTC. Is that too much to ask of you? Maybe you want me to fly over to Texas and fix the oven for free for you?
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:26 am
WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:24 am
Well, since you're asking for a favor here and people are going out of their way to help you, I think all they're asking is that you try to help out too to solve the problem WTC. Is that too much to ask of you? Maybe you want me to fly over to Texas and fix the oven for free for you?
He's just playing dumb. He's already knows he can take the one out of his dishwasher he installed a couple years back.....