Mars Rover landing 3:55pm Eastern

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Mars Rover landing 3:55pm Eastern

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:36 am
Animal wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:18 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:12 am Olympus Mons on Mars (the highest mountain in the solar system) is 3 times higher that Mount Everest. Size comparison
There's a reason, of course.
so Mt Everest is measured in feet above sea level. if there are no oceans on Mars, then what reference point do they use for 0 elevation?
That's why the graph is showing both Mt Everest and Mauna Kea for comparison. Both have a claim for the highest mountain on Earth depending on height above sea level or height above base. Both are close to each other but 3 times lower than Olympus Mons. Hope this helps.
No. actually, it doesn't help at all. what do they use as the "base" or sea level to determine how high Mons is? I mean, if we drained the oceans on earth, would we measure the height of Mt Everest from the bottom of the Marianas Trench? (sp?)
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Animal wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:42 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:12 am Olympus Mons on Mars (the highest mountain in the solar system) is 3 times higher that Mount Everest. Size comparison
so Mt Everest is measured in feet above sea level. if there are no oceans on Mars, then what reference point do they use for 0 elevation?
That's why the graph is showing both Mt Everest and Mauna Kea for comparison. Both have a claim for the highest mountain on Earth depending on height above sea level or height above base. Both are close to each other but 3 times lower than Olympus Mons. Hope this helps.
No. actually, it doesn't help at all. what do they use as the "base" or sea level to determine how high Mons is? I mean, if we drained the oceans on earth, would we measure the height of Mt Everest from the bottom of the Marianas Trench? (sp?)
Maybe a mean elevation on Mars. I really don't know how those things are decided. That is a good question. It's kind of Moot because the the 2 planets are totally different. Olympus Mons is ancient (billions of years) and huge because there has been no erosion there like here. A similar formation here at that age has been reduced to flat land.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

And I think a lot about what we think of as the "Highest Point" on Earth is tainted (is that the right word?) because of our human experience. Mt Everest lies at the edge of human endurance (so high it requires oxygen- "death zone") whereas Mauna Kea has telescopes on top and it's an easy drive.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

I've climbed Pubis Mons.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:04 am And I think a lot about what we think of as the "Highest Point" on Earth is tainted (is that the right word?) because of our human experience. Mt Everest lies at the edge of human endurance (so high it requires oxygen- "death zone") whereas Mauna Kea has telescopes on top and it's an easy drive.
Pikes Peak is a bitch on the brakes. Especially if you are worried about being late for a tee time.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:15 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:04 am And I think a lot about what we think of as the "Highest Point" on Earth is tainted (is that the right word?) because of our human experience. Mt Everest lies at the edge of human endurance (so high it requires oxygen- "death zone") whereas Mauna Kea has telescopes on top and it's an easy drive.
Pikes Peak is a bitch on the brakes. Especially if you are worried about being late for a tee time.
Right? I've always been fascinated by the fact that if you take into account Plate Tectonics- raising young mountains like Everest to ridiculous heights, Erosion- Taking the Appalachian Mountains that were higher than Everest and reduced to mere hills. Throw in the ocean plates and I wonder if it's not a coincident that the highest elevation on Earth above sea level and the lowest below (Mariana Trench) are just about the exact same. Lay low what's high, build up what's low. So Sayeth the Lord.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:36 am
disco.moon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:44 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:43 pm
disco.moon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 pm I think it's very attractive that some of you guys are so smart. Makes up for all the thread tardation.
WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:00 pm I'm the most intelligent poster this site has ever seen.
:lol:
Hehe
Don't encourage the lapdog. His idea of a scientific experiment is banging 2 rocks together and see what happens. The math involved just getting the 2 rocks was almost enough to kill the whole thing.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:12 am Image
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Fucker can't replace a low voltage thermostat, but can pretend to know about plate tectonics and Portuguese world explorers in the age of discovery.
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:38 am
Smok44 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:43 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:33 am
megman wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:06 am I've climbed Pubis Mons.
Right? I've always been fascinated by the fact that if you take into account Plate Tectonics- raising young mountains like Everest to ridiculous heights, Erosion- Taking the Appalachian Mountains that were higher than Everest and reduced to mere hills. Throw in the ocean plates and I wonder if it's not a coincident that the highest elevation on Earth above sea level and the lowest below (Mariana Trench) are just about the exact same. Lay low what's high, build up what's low. So Sayeth the Lord.
↑↑↑

Hasn't the slightest clue what Megman is referring to :lol:
Omg I think you're right.
Well he hasn't seen one since 1974
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

It's defined using atmospheric pressure. The mountain is just being measured from base to peak though.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:12 am Olympus Mons on Mars (the highest mountain in the solar system) is 2.39 times higher that Mount Everest. Size comparison
ftfy
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

AnalHamster wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:33 pm
It's defined using atmospheric pressure. The mountain is just being measured from base to peak though.
actually, i think they used to use that, but now they use the mean elevation calculated from a shit load of topographic maps created over the years.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

The sound of the rover driving on mars -

Squeaky sharp sand and rock thumps.
"stupid ass bitch ass bitch“
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i'm just going to go ahead and say it. the sounds from Mars aren't all that spectacular.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 pm i'm just going to go ahead and say it. the sounds from Mars aren't all that spectacular.
Maybe martians eat red seaweed.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Im still waiting for it to shit out the drone.
"stupid ass bitch ass bitch“
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

woohooguy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 pm Im still waiting for it to shit out the drone.
I think they said it would be several weeks after touchdown. I also want to see the video of it flying around. Very cool.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 pm i'm just going to go ahead and say it. the sounds from Mars aren't all that spectacular.
I'm starting to think Animal doesn't understand what the environment on Mars is like.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Very similar to Iraan
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:39 pm
I'm starting to think Animal doesn't understand what the environment on Mars is like.
I bet Animal can buy a cell phone and pick a cell phone carrier.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:48 pm
I bet Animal can buy a cell phone and pick a cell phone carrier.

I blame Biker.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

woohooguy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 pm Im still waiting for it to shit out the drone.
Have you heard any timetable lately on when that drone is going to be deployed?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:19 pm
Have you heard any timetable lately on when that drone is going to be deployed?
It's gonna fly out your sisters ass next Thursday