Piney Point

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Piney Point

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:59 pm i'm curious about how radioactive waste is a byproduct of making fertilizer from phosphorus.
Radioactive materials can be naturally occurring.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CaptQuint wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:00 pm
Animal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:59 pm i'm curious about how radioactive waste is a byproduct of making fertilizer from phosphorus.
It's explained in QD's link
i skimmed through it (long ass read), but I can't find any chemical analysis of any of these "radioactive" particles that are in the water. They talked about a process they tried using reverse osmosis to remove the particles from the water, and it worked, but they dumped the solids back into the pool and just increased the concentration. then it rained and diluted it right back to where it was before. so that's a pretty stupid solution.

The solution seems to me to be a chemical stabilization process of some kind. but without them talking about the chemistry of what is actually in the water, who knows what that might be. i can't imagine the only solution is to just dump it into the ocean and dilute the shit out of it and cross your fingers. But I would also assume that the much smarter than us people have already determined there is no way to chemically stabilize it.

i have never heard of manufacturing fertilizer to result in radioactive byproducts.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Animal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:00 pm
It's explained in QD's link
i skimmed through it (long ass read), but I can't find any chemical analysis of any of these "radioactive" particles that are in the water. They talked about a process they tried using reverse osmosis to remove the particles from the water, and it worked, but they dumped the solids back into the pool and just increased the concentration. then it rained and diluted it right back to where it was before. so that's a pretty stupid solution.

The solution seems to me to be a chemical stabilization process of some kind. but without them talking about the chemistry of what is actually in the water, who knows what that might be. i can't imagine the only solution is to just dump it into the ocean and dilute the shit out of it and cross your fingers. But I would also assume that the much smarter than us people have already determined there is no way to chemically stabilize it.

i have never heard of manufacturing fertilizer to result in radioactive byproducts.

https://www.epa.gov/radtown/radioactive ... tive%20gas.
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

so, that's kind of what i was thinking. Its uranium and radium that naturally occur in the raw materials. But nuclear power plants use Uranium and some of that uranium ends up in the cooling water that cools the fuel rods. And they have ways to filter that radiation from the water. Why won't those methods work the same on this water?
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

CaptQuint wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:59 pm
pork wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:48 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:33 pm
i have a house on that lake
You have too many houses
i put my mother in it when my father passed away. its a pretty nice area
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Plus it’s so close to Tahoe. I’d move there in a heartbeat if I could get the same kind of work there as I get here.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Charliesheen wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:58 pm Plus it’s so close to Tahoe. I’d move there in a heartbeat if I could get the same kind of work there as I get here.
Check if there is a Montgomery Ward retail location there.
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

I remember Montgomery Ward stores and catalogs.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

You get more radiation from a banana than you do from an X-ray. Lots of elements are radioactive.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

megman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:22 pm
You get more radiation from a banana than you do from an X-ray. Lots of elements are radioactive.
I don’t think that’s true.
wut?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Wut wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:46 pm
that does seem like something we would have heard about before now.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:46 pm
It's true.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/you-a ... adioactive
Is it true that bananas are radioactive?
That is absolutely true. But the same can be said for spinach, potatoes, oranges, brazil nuts, kitty litter, granite counter tops, the very air you breathe and even your own body! Radioactivity is all around us and is unavoidable.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

FSchmertz wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:27 pm
https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/you-a ... adioactive
Is it true that bananas are radioactive?
That is absolutely true. But the same can be said for spinach, potatoes, oranges, brazil nuts, kitty litter, granite counter tops, the very air you breathe and even your own body! Radioactivity is all around us and is unavoidable.
It may be true that there is trace radioactivity in a banana, but not more than what you would get from an x ray.
wut?
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

Don't go down in the basement.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

disco.moon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:31 pm This place is radioactive.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

disco.moon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:31 pm This place is radioactive.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

CaptQuint wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:01 pm
Charliesheen wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:58 pm Plus it’s so close to Tahoe. I’d move there in a heartbeat if I could get the same kind of work there as I get here.
If I lived in yer holler I’m sure I could afford a nice cabin on a furniture department head’s salary.

But my town’s median resale price was 1.3 last year. It’s even higher now.

You should stick to making fun of my age.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

rule34 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:44 pm Don't go down in the basement.
"It rubs the uranium on its skin.."
"stupid ass bitch ass bitch“
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Animal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:35 pm
so, that's kind of what i was thinking. Its uranium and radium that naturally occur in the raw materials. But nuclear power plants use Uranium and some of that uranium ends up in the cooling water that cools the fuel rods. And they have ways to filter that radiation from the water. Why won't those methods work the same on this water?
It can, but itll be expensive. Like really expensive.

Radioactive water is treated with carbon and reverse osmosis. When dealing with water with low total dissolved solids, like the water cooling nuclear fuel rods, its not an issue. You filter the water, dispose of the water by pumping it deep underground or dissolve in a larger body, like the ocean. The now loaded filter material being osmosis membrane or carbon get tagged as nuclear waste, canned and stored.

The issue with these gypsum ponds is the total dissolved solids are enormous and filtration isn't practical. Dissolve plaster in water and pass it through a Brita pitcher, it wont make it long at all. You would have to centrifuge the solids from the water, and removing fine particles from the water would require very specialized centrifuges with massive air containment and filtering, just an absolute nightmare and not the least bit portable. Who wants radioactive water trucked through your town or floated up on shore in a boat? Then everything it touches is now contaminated. How about a 100 million dollar centrifuge that is only used once, is now contaminated its self, and too expensive to dismantle and store as it is contaminated?

It can be done but a logistical nightmare that only billions can solve.

Realistically the best option is identify an area nearby that can be drilled to depths far below the water table, pump this shit into it and hope it doesn't migrate. There has already been sinkholes formed under similar ponds and it collapses in and massively contaminates the water table. Get it deeper and cross your fingers, or cross your fingers and hope the sinkhole capital of the states doesn't swallow it.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

woohooguy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 pm
so reading through all of that it sounds to me that the concentration level is the problem. its too diluted. So the solution to that is to evaporate off the water and get a higher and higher concentration of the radioactive waste, right? Assuming you could keep the rain out of it and it just naturally sat there and evaporated, it would take a while, but it would happen. Once you get it down to where the concentration levels are high enough, then you use the reverse osmosis process?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Charliesheen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:01 pm
If I lived in yer holler I’m sure I could afford a nice cabin on a furniture department head’s salary.

But my town’s median resale price was 1.3 last year. It’s even higher now.

You should stick to making fun of my age.

I am making fun of your age with The Montgomery Ward quip
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Animal wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:55 pm
so reading through all of that it sounds to me that the concentration level is the problem. its too diluted. So the solution to that is to evaporate off the water and get a higher and higher concentration of the radioactive waste, right? Assuming you could keep the rain out of it and it just naturally sat there and evaporated, it would take a while, but it would happen. Once you get it down to where the concentration levels are high enough, then you use the reverse osmosis process?
You want to concentrate it but evaporation is a danger, not the solution. You dont want this stuff getting airborne. The salt water pool is used to replenish the pools housing the really bad shit as far as I understand. The issue all the other solids in the water, primarily gypsum, will clog every viable method of filtration to the point its not practical.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

woohooguy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:12 pm
Animal wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:55 pm
You want to concentrate it but evaporation is a danger, not the solution. You dont want this stuff getting airborne. The salt water pool is used to replenish the pools housing the really bad shit as far as I understand. The issue all the other solids in the water, primarily gypsum, will clog every viable method of filtration to the point its not practical.
evaporation can't be much of a danger. if this shit has been sitting out in the open in Florida for over 20 years. i know water from a swimming pool will evaporate about 1 inch per day in the summer. so, imagine based on the sf of surface area of that pond how much water has evaporated over those 20+ years.