Piney Point

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

woohooguy
Forum God

Re: Piney Point

Post by woohooguy »

rule34 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:39 pm The wastewater at Piney Point is not radioactive, according to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/ ... 088307002/
Correct, the water leaking is not radioactive, but a part of a multiple pond system on the site. Its the largest and is constantly replenished to be fed to the other ponds to prevent them from drying out if required. The problem is the sheer amount of water this pond contains and the destruction it can let loose washing over the area. The water is also very rich in nutrients, liquid fertilizer from years of fertilizer production exchange, and can cause some serious local algae blooms that can choke out local wildlife.

The second problem is the inner retaining walls of the smaller more dangerous ponds, still millions of gallons, will no longer be supported by the larger mass and may collapse after.

I bet it would make for an awesome tomato plant, like 15 feet tall and tomatoes the size of your head.
"stupid ass bitch ass bitch“
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

woohooguy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:25 pm
rule34 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:39 pm The wastewater at Piney Point is not radioactive, according to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/ ... 088307002/
Correct, the water leaking is not radioactive, but a part of a multiple pond system on the site. Its the largest and is constantly replenished to be fed to the other ponds to prevent them from drying out if required. The problem is the sheer amount of water this pond contains and the destruction it can let loose washing over the area. The water is also very rich in nutrients, liquid fertilizer from years of fertilizer production exchange, and can cause some serious local algae blooms that can choke out local wildlife.

The second problem is the inner retaining walls of the smaller more dangerous ponds, still millions of gallons, will no longer be supported by the larger mass and may collapse after.

I bet it would make for an awesome tomato plant, like 15 feet tall and tomatoes the size of your head.
Now I'm going to think like Trump at a press conference here, but what if you stuck a million weeping willow tree branches into that pond? A weeping willow tree will suck a wet spot dry in no time and they grow fast as shit. Would that tree suck up the contamination? And, before anyone says it, a weeping will branch will root by just sticking it into wet soil. i don't live in florida, so there are probably other cat tails or whatever that do the same thing.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

Truck the water up here, I've got 2,000 acres they can spread it out on.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Animal wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:05 pm
woohooguy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:18 pm
Evaporation isn’t an issue, like distillation the solids are left behind.

Now if the entire pool evaporated, the dust being formed would blow away and that’s a problem, so they use the large pool to replenish the smaller pools holding the low level radioactive shit.

I’m now starting to wonder how big of an area this is compared to Chernobyl, if it would be practical to cover it with a building and then dry out the radioactive ponds and bag n tag the soil.. I bet it’ll be a lot of solids. Unlike Chernobyl it would only have to have environmental control for maybe 10 years max? If there’s a viable plan to do something with the solids?
yeah, now you are starting to think like i am. you figure out a way to evaporate the water out and dial this down to the problem of dealing with the solids. that ultimately remain. based on the dilution you guys are talking about, I wouldn't think that volume of solids would be all that much. but you have to keep any additional water from ever reaching it (rain or runoff) and then wait on the slow process of evaporation. maybe pipe some solar heating tubes through it to warm it and speed evaporation. Its not a short process by any means, but its one that gets better every day.
At one point the makers of fertilizer, looking at all this low level radioactive waste, pushed to have it used in roadway construction -

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25036995/

Basically they were adding phosphogypsum, in its low level radioactive state, with a shot of sulfuric acid to asphalt for paving. Supposedly it increases the texture/flow/viscosity of asphalt at lower temps, allowing more flexibility and time to lay it down, and hypothetically a more flexible product in the long run.

Issue is would you want to be working with it hot? Or even cutting into it say 5 years in the future with a wet saw?

Needless to say it hasn't been approved.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

woohooguy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:40 pm At one point the makers of fertilizer, looking at all this low level radioactive waste, pushed to have it used in roadway construction -

Basically they were adding phosphogypsum, in its low level radioactive state, with a shot of sulfuric acid to asphalt for paving. Supposedly it increases the texture/flow/viscosity of asphalt at lower temps, allowing more flexibility and time to lay it down, and hypothetically a more flexible product in the long run.

Issue is would you want to be working with it hot? Or even cutting into it say 5 years in the future with a wet saw?

i have never heard of a waste product yet that hasn't been proposed to be added to asphalt to get rid of it. And every one of them touts some miracle solution that it provides in order to sweeten the deal. old tires, shingles, glass, you name it. the only product that i have witnessed first hand that is an all around brilliant solution to adding to asphalt is old asphalt. ground up asphalt from old pavements drops the price of new asphalt by as much as 30% or more. Its amazing the savings and how easy it is to incorporate. And I have personally refurbished plants to run recycled asphalt.

But all of this other hocus pocus they propose is just that.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

rule34 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 pm Truck the water up here, I've got 2,000 acres they can spread it out on.
Do it slowly though, that would be like a 5 inch rain. Gonna have to give it time to soak in.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Animal wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:48 pm
woohooguy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:40 pm At one point the makers of fertilizer, looking at all this low level radioactive waste, pushed to have it used in roadway construction -

i have never heard of a waste product yet that hasn't been proposed to be added to asphalt to get rid of it. And every one of them touts some miracle solution that it provides in order to sweeten the deal. old tires, shingles, glass, you name it. the only product that i have witnessed first hand that is an all around brilliant solution to adding to asphalt is old asphalt. ground up asphalt from old pavements drops the price of new asphalt by as much as 30% or more. Its amazing the savings and how easy it is to incorporate. And I have personally refurbished plants to run recycled asphalt.

But all of this other hocus pocus they propose is just that.
Broken glass drastically reduces the fire temp of new glass, and recycling Aluminum is the only recyclable that has a bonafide cost savings. There are very few things that graciously provide a benefit to its original purpose.
woohooguy
Forum God

Post by woohooguy »

Animal wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 pm

Now I'm going to think like Trump at a press conference here, but what if you stuck a million weeping willow tree branches into that pond? A weeping willow tree will suck a wet spot dry in no time and they grow fast as shit. Would that tree suck up the contamination? And, before anyone says it, a weeping will branch will root by just sticking it into wet soil. i don't live in florida, so there are probably other cat tails or whatever that do the same thing.
Plant weeping willows, allow them to suck up radioactive water.

Collect dry solids, mix with asphalt and pave roadways in the area.

Charge 40 dollars a car to enter "Glowing Willow Point", open sundown to 12pm.

Profit.