Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Degas
Forum God

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

Post by Degas »

Google maps will fuck it up at the last 7 miles and it’ll end up in the sea of tranquility or Grimsby.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Insertion burns are complete and the Webb is in L2 orbit. Whoop!

Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:43 pm Insertion burns are complete and the Webb is in L2 orbit. Whoop!
Does this mean that you won't be starving for attention anymore?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:51 pm
Animal wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:43 pm Insertion burns are complete and the Webb is in L2 orbit. Whoop!
Does this mean that you won't be starving for attention anymore?
It means that if you ever meet any people you will have more to talk about than tv shows and songs.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Hey Animal. Thanks for keeping us updated on the L2.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Okay, this is just a little bit mind blowing.

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Go to that website page, and look for the button that says "NEW - Webb in 3D Solar System" A picture will come up that is very confusing and hard to manipulate. BUT, within that picture is a search bar. In that search bar you can type "Moon" or "Earth" or "Mars", etc. And, I THINK, you get real time images of whatever that is. You can zoom, but not zoom in as much as you might want. You can spin the object (like earth) around to see other places. But it will be dark on the other side.

It also says you can GO HERE to get real time links that feed from Webb.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Very cool. I'll be doing some playing with this.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:16 pm Okay, this is just a little bit mind blowing.

Go to that website page, and look for the button that says "NEW - Webb in 3D Solar System" A picture will come up that is very confusing and hard to manipulate. BUT, within that picture is a search bar. In that search bar you can type "Moon" or "Earth" or "Mars", etc. And, I THINK, you get real time images of whatever that is. You can zoom, but not zoom in as much as you might want. You can spin the object (like earth) around to see other places. But it will be dark on the other side.

I typed Earth into the search bar and it takes you to a really cool 3D graphic of Earth.

Now, I'm no rocket scientist... but I'm pretty sure the Earth is rotating in the wrong direction in that graphic.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:15 pm
Animal wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:16 pm Okay, this is just a little bit mind blowing.

I typed Earth into the search bar and it takes you to a really cool 3D graphic of Earth.

Now, I'm no rocket scientist... but I'm pretty sure the Earth is rotating in the wrong direction in that graphic.
My only explanation is that you are looking at it from the reference point of Webb, which is moving too. I know yesterday the sun was actually in the shot and the sun was moving pretty fast to the right. I know that the cloud formations along the east cost US looked similar to what was building up with that Low Pressure area. They were sort of swirling like a hurricane.

I rotated the pic so that the area where night turns to day is between California and Hawaii (appx). The left half (west) of the earth is dark and the right half (east) is daylight. I am going to leave it sitting there and see which way the dark and light move.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:34 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:15 pm

My only explanation is that you are looking at it from the reference point of Webb, which is moving too. I know yesterday the sun was actually in the shot and the sun was moving pretty fast to the right. I know that the cloud formations along the east cost US looked similar to what was building up with that Low Pressure area. They were sort of swirling like a hurricane.

I rotated the pic so that the area where night turns to day is between California and Hawaii (appx). The left half (west) of the earth is dark and the right half (east) is daylight. I am going to leave it sitting there and see which way the dark and light move.
I was thinking that the POV was from Webb as well. But if you watch the Earth do a complete rotation at one point you can see Webb go by. It's labeled way the fuck out there in its orbit. So the POV isn't coming from Webb.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

you are right. i found the Webb, too. and you can click on it and zoom in on it. I have no freaking idea what the POV reference point is. Obviously its not a fixed point in space because you can spin the earth around and look at all sides. You can even zoom in on Haley's comet. and Hale Bopp.

Its all just computer generated.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:30 pm you are right. i found the Webb, too. and you can click on it and zoom in on it. I have no freaking idea what the POV reference point is. Obviously its not a fixed point in space because you can spin the earth around and look at all sides. You can even zoom in on Haley's comet. and Hale Bopp.

I've been watching the terminator between night and day and it's moving in the proper direction. So the Earth is rotating in the right direction, but the POV is orbiting in the opposite direction.
I have no idea why they would do it like that.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:35 pm
Animal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:30 pm you are right. i found the Webb, too. and you can click on it and zoom in on it. I have no freaking idea what the POV reference point is. Obviously its not a fixed point in space because you can spin the earth around and look at all sides. You can even zoom in on Haley's comet. and Hale Bopp.

I've been watching the terminator between night and day and it's moving in the proper direction. So the Earth is rotating in the right direction, but the POV is orbiting in the opposite direction.
I was looking at the change from night to day in the Pacific and its not N/S like I would have thought. Its almost more on a 45 degree angle. I assumed it would be like the Time Zone lines and the N/S Parallel lines.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:40 pm

I was looking at the change from night to day in the Pacific and its not N/S like I would have thought. Its almost more on a 45 degree angle. I assumed it would be like the Time Zone lines and the N/S Parallel lines.
Earth is tilted on its axis.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:02 pm

Yes. Its just weird actually seeing it for the first time like this. Its much more pronounced than I had imagined.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:12 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:02 pm

Yes. Its just weird actually seeing it for the first time like this. Its much more pronounced than I had imagined.
If memory serves (don't quote me on this) the tilt is about 25 degrees.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Okay, another ho hum update.

Webb is now continuing to tweak and bring things into focus. The next step that it has now begun is to turn its attention toward one particular star. This star is called HD84406 and can be found in relation to the Big Dipper (part of Ursa Major)

That's it to the right of the big dipper. It is too faint to see with the naked eye, you would have to have some type of telescope. Anyway, this is where Webb will focus so that the engineers can begin to fine tune its mirrors to get them into perfect alignment. This star, which is 260 light years away, is actually too close for Webb to study since it will be much too bright once it comes into focus. But for this stage of the fine tuning it is perfect.

I watched a documentary on Webb. Webb is going to be looking so deep into space that it must rely on ultra violet light to see. As light waves travel for those kinds of distances through space, the light wave is actually stretched along with space as the universe expands. When these light waves stretch they become ultra violet instead of normal light waves. So in order to see them you must be able to see in the dark. Every object that emits heat emits some kind of light, you just have to be able to see it.

James Webb is so freaking sensitive, that it could detect the body heat of a bumble bee if it was sitting on the moon. Imagine that. A bumble bee actually produces a little bit of heat. And that heat can be seen as ultra violet light. Now if you had night vision binoculars you might be able to see a red dot of a bumble bee several yards away. Webb could detect that same bumble bee on the moon.

The universe was (thought) to be created 13.8 billion years ago. Hubble was able to vaguely peer back to about 13.3 billion years. But it was a pretty fuzzy, out of focus image. Webb should be able to not only bring that into focus, but it should be able to see when the first stars were forming.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

And we have the first images taken of the James Webb from a virtual telescope here on Planet Earth. It was taken after the Webb reached its final orbit location at L2. You can see it inside the red circle with a small arrow pointing to it.

The Virtual Telescope Project 2.0 in Rome has captured the first image of the spacecraft as it orbits at L2 covering a month-long journey from Earth.

The image was captured from a single 300-second exposure, unfiltered, remotely collected by a robotic unit at the Virtual Telescope Project. "Our robotic telescope tracked the apparent motion of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), which is marked by an arrow in the centre," the project team said while releasing the image.

Copies of this rare photograph can be made by venmo-ing me $75 in advance.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Most stuff that's probably only interesting to very few people.

So, if you are at all curious about how they begin to "focus" the 18 different mirrors into a single telescope. As I said in an earlier post, they are first going to turn toward a star called HD 84406, which is sort of in the Big Dipper. When the Webb first looks at this star, it will get several images because all of the mirrors are not aligned yet. The first picture will look something like this Simulation:

Engineers then have to figure out which mirror is producing which image. Which is much more difficult than it might sound. In that process they will adjust each mirror to make each image more into the shape of the configuration of the 18 mirrors to begin with. As shown below:

Now, they know how to adjust each mirror in order to move each image of the star. The process now is to move each mirror so that the star image associated with it is perfectly overlayed on one of the other stars. And then do the same for all 18 mirrors.

Finally, the engineers need to do field-of-view corrections and final little adjustments to get the segments just right. Of course, the engineers’ work will not be over at that point. They will then need to turn to commissioning the different instruments on the Webb.

“The process is flexible and modular to allow for iteration. After roughly three months of aligning the telescope, we will be ready to proceed to commissioning the instruments,” the engineers say.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

A little bit better description:

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

We have our first test image of a star by the Webb

most of those other little things that kind of clutter the photo are galaxies.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:42 pm We have our first test image of a star by the Webb

Thanks for the update. They were scheduled to be fully operational in June. Have you heard if that's still on? I haven't heard anything
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:14 pm
Animal wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:42 pm We have our first test image of a star by the Webb

Thanks for the update. They were scheduled to be fully operational in June. Have you heard if that's still on? I haven't heard anything
the website that i got that picture and read about the final stages of the calibrations said that June was the date they expected to start actually gathering real data (pictures). This picture is still just part of their adjustments. Its the first one they have taken using all 18 mirrors at once.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:30 pm

the website that i got that picture and read about the final stages of the calibrations said that June was the date they expected to start actually gathering real data (pictures). This picture is still just part of their adjustments. Its the first one they have taken using all 18 mirrors at once.
Cool. Thanks
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:44 pm
Animal wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:30 pm

Cool. Thanks
that picture is also taken by gathering infrared light. it wouldn't be visible with normal equipment.