99 day MLB lockout is now over

Other people doing physical activities

Moderator: hawkfan8812

8-TrackJones
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

99 day MLB lockout is now over

Post by 8-TrackJones »

MLB, players reach tentative labor deal to end lockout

The MLB and its player's union, Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), has agreed to a tentative labor agreement to end the lockout, ESPN reported.

In a Twitter thread on Thursday, ESPN reporter Jeff Passan said that 26 executive subcommittee and player union representatives voted in favor of the new labor agreement.

Passan also said that club players can report for spring training as early as tomorrow, adding that pending transactions unfreeze upon ratification, meaning free agents can sign with teams, and trades are also allowed as well.

The new collective bargaining agreement includes the minimum salary for players jumping from $570,500 to $780,000, and a bonus pool worth $50 million which will be distributed among younger players who haven't reached salary arbitration thresholds.

Both sides also agreed on expanding the league's postseason to 12 teams and the league will now feature advertisements on player uniforms, displaying patches on jerseys and decals on batting helmets, according to ESPN.

The new agreement ends the 99-day lockout, which began last December after league owners locked out players.

League owners and the players' union struck out multiple times to reach an agreement to end the lockout, causing the league to cancel Opening Day and some regular-season games as a result, but those games will be restored to the schedule under the new agreement.

This was the ninth work stoppage in MLB history and the first one since the 1994-1995 players' strike where most of the 1994 regular season and World Series games were canceled.

In a previous statement, the Biden administration recently encouraged the club owners and players union to reach an agreement.

"The best role for government is to encourage the parties to commit themselves fully to collective bargaining that reaches an agreement, and that's how we feel here," White House deputy press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said last week. "We encourage Major League Baseball and Major League Baseball Players Association to stay at the bargaining table and reach an agreement as soon as they can so we can kick off the season and get back to enjoying baseball games."

The MLB's 162-game regular season will begin on April 7, ESPN noted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/ml ... smsnnews11
Klaatu ......Barada .......Ncoughcoughcough.........Necktie.........Nickel.....
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Re: 99 day MLB lockout is now over

Post by Burn1dwn »

Finally. Last week I got an email from the Padres discussing a refund for my season tickets, I thought that was a bad sign. Guess I was wrong.
8-TrackJones

Post by 8-TrackJones »

Burn1dwn wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:53 pm Finally. Last week I got an email from the Padres discussing a refund for my season tickets, I thought that was a bad sign. Guess I was wrong.
Looks like NL will now get the DH. Also, read something about banning infield shifts.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

8-TrackJones wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 pm
Burn1dwn wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:53 pm Finally. Last week I got an email from the Padres discussing a refund for my season tickets, I thought that was a bad sign. Guess I was wrong.
Looks like NL will now get the DH. Also, read something about banning infield shifts.
I am a fan of both moves. I didn't think I would come around on the NL DH rule but it made the games pretty fun a couple years ago.

Still lots of talented free agents out there too.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

8-TrackJones wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 pm Looks like NL will now get the DH.
About time. (imho)
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Burn1dwn wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:57 pm Still lots of talented free agents out there too.
The market is going to go nuts! The first few days will be a feeding frenzy!
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Burn1dwn wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:57 pm
I am a fan of both moves. I didn't think I would come around on the NL DH rule but it made the games pretty fun a couple years ago.

I heard on the radio that the Pads likely won't be going after a high dollar dh, and will rather use it as way to rest some of the starters. DH by committee. Not sure what I think about that.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

B-Tender wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:32 am

I heard on the radio that the Pads likely won't be going after a high dollar dh, and will rather use it as way to rest some of the starters. DH by committee. Not sure what I think about that.
Not that he is a DH type bat but I thought Frazier's acquisition last year might have been made with an eye towards DH coming to the NL. Then they went and traded him. So much for that theory.
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

:beavisbutthead:
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Banning the shift isn't happening 'til next season, apparently.

And the Mets held on to some players in anticipation of the DH rule, 'cause some bangers really don't have an everyday position. Now they do! ;)

P.S. May try Robinson Cano there, assuming he doesn't get caught taking drugs again. And whichever first baseman isn't playing that day, Pete Alonzo or Dominic Smith. Or maybe even J.D. Davis, if he isn't traded.
Last edited by FSchmertz on Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Burn1dwn wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:54 amNot that he is a DH type bat but I thought Frazier's acquisition last year might have been made with an eye towards DH coming to the NL. Then they went and traded him. So much for that theory.
Eh, I think CLINT Frazier is a classic DH, and he's now with the Cubs. Used to be with the Yankmees.

P.S. Hope he's recovered from the concussion now
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

FSchmertz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:39 pm

And the Mets held on to some players in anticipation of the DH rule, 'cause some bangers really don't have an everyday position. Now they do! ;)
Maybe now the Mets will be able to move up from Triple A.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:37 pm
FSchmertz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:39 pm

Maybe now the Mets will be able to move up from Triple A.
Apparently Uncle Steve's luxury taxes from fielding a real team will be propping up minor league teams like the Pirates, Marlins and Cleveland
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

MLB analysts are the worst. After the Scherzer BS last year, they are starting off getting shit wrong again.

Countless articles....
Nelson Cruz is deciding between the Dodgers and Padres...

Later that day

Nelson Cruz signs with the Nats....

I guess it's better news than the Dodgers getting him.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Burn1dwn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:22 pm MLB analysts are the worst. After the Scherzer BS last year, they are starting off getting shit wrong again.

Countless articles....
Nelson Cruz is deciding between the Dodgers and Padres...

Later that day

Nelson Cruz signs with the Nats....

I guess it's better news than the Dodgers getting him.
Dude is gonna be 42 years old on July 1st.
Why not grab Jorge Soler or Khris Davis and save a few million bucks instead?
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

What are the chances Cruz gets popped for PEDs this year?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

B-Tender wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:46 pm What are the chances Cruz gets popped for PEDs this year?
50/50
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:47 pm
B-Tender wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:46 pm What are the chances Cruz gets popped for PEDs this year?
50/50
That's what I was thinking too.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

B-Tender wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:48 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:47 pm
50/50
That's what I was thinking too.
He's one of those Dominican guys. Likely actually 50+.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Likely the Yankmees are no longer shopping for a shortstop. The remaining free agents are starting to run out of potential jobs I guess.

The teams announced that the Yankees will send Sanchez and third baseman Gio Urshela to Minnesota for a package that will remake the left side of their infield in one swoop. Donaldson, the veteran slugger and former MVP, will be joined by defense-focused shortstop Isiah Kiner-Falefa — who the Twins acquired just this weekend from the Texas Rangers — and catcher Ben Rortvedt.
https://sports.yahoo.com/mets-star-pete ... 41559.html
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

FSchmertz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:13 pm Likely the Yankmees are no longer shopping for a shortstop. The remaining free agents are starting to run out of potential jobs I guess.
Trevor Story and Carlos Correa are still out there, but they'd break the bank.
Other than that, the SS market is pretty dry.
8-TrackJones

Post by 8-TrackJones »

Braves sign Matt Olson to replace Freddie Freeman.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschloss ... 558ca86e9a

So where does Freddie go? Jays or Dodgers?
Last edited by 8-TrackJones on Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Fucking Tatis! Wilding out on motorcycles during the lockout. Jeezus!
8-TrackJones

Post by 8-TrackJones »

Burn1dwn wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:35 am Fucking Tatis! Wilding out on motorcycles during the lockout. Jeezus!
Shades of Ron Gant lol. He broke his leg riding a motorcycle after signing a one-year $5million deal. Braves ended up putting him on waivers.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:40 pm
FSchmertz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:13 pm Likely the Yankmees are no longer shopping for a shortstop. The remaining free agents are starting to run out of potential jobs I guess.
Trevor Story and Carlos Correa are still out there, but they'd break the bank.
Other than that, the SS market is pretty dry.
Not sure who's got the money. Might not get as rich as they think.

Likely Dodgers are gonna spend on Freeman, so who else has the cash and cap?

P.S. He's a West Coasty, don't see him going to Toronto