Gardening

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Gardening

Post by stonedmegman »

We are now aboot 8 weeks out from our last frost.

Time to start the beef steak tomato, jalapeno and green bean plants. Seeds indoors of course.

Doing bell peppers also. And this year it's all pots.
QANON IS JUST SCIENTOLOGY FOR HILLBILLIES
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Re: Gardening

Post by stonedmegman »

Has anyone tried doing potatoes in one of those bags made for growing them?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

We have like a 9 month growing season. What's it like compressing that down to 120 days?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

I grew shrooms on a dead hooker.

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

You're a fungi. :lol:

Which reminds me. I am hoping to get a harvest this year. Inoculated a bunch of logs 1 1/2 years ago with Shiitake spore. They should sprout this year.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

How long does it take to grow a couple of rows of Gummi's?
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

And fuck the deer. The gloves are off this year.

I'm going to order a gallon of Wolf urine and spray it all around. :twisted:

And no, I have no idea how they get them to piss into the bottle.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:42 pm How long does it take to grow a couple of rows of Gummi's?
Depends on the flavour.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

stonedmegman wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:44 pm And fuck the deer. The gloves are off this year.

I heard once that an ordinary bar of soap will repel deer. They hate the smell of it. Just hang a few bars of soap around.

I have no idea if this is true or not. It's just something I heard once.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:53 pm
stonedmegman wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:44 pm And fuck the deer. The gloves are off this year.

I heard once that an ordinary bar of soap will repel deer. They hate the smell of it. Just hang a few bars of soap around.

I have no idea if this is true or not. It's just something I heard once.
I know someone who tried this but it didn't work. Maybe it has to be a certain scent like Irish Spring. :shrug:
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i think if there was an easy solution to keeping deer out of edible plants, everyone would know what it is by now. wolf piss, coyote piss, etc are about the only things i have heard that work.

personally, i would probably go with some kind of motion sensor set up. lights at night or sprinklers or noises, etc. almost any animal i have ever been around will get fooled a few times and then figure it out and not be deterred by whatever it is. Fences are the only thing I know work.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Animal wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:16 am i think if there was an easy solution to keeping deer out of edible plants, everyone would know what it is by now. wolf piss, coyote piss, etc are about the only things i have heard that work.

personally, i would probably go with some kind of motion sensor set up. lights at night or sprinklers or noises, etc. almost any animal i have ever been around will get fooled a few times and then figure it out and not be deterred by whatever it is. Fences are the only thing I know work.
Most of these deer are desensitized from all that. They spend their time around town and there are a number of people who go out of their way to feed them.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

stonedmegman wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:50 am
Animal wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:16 am i think if there was an easy solution to keeping deer out of edible plants, everyone would know what it is by now. wolf piss, coyote piss, etc are about the only things i have heard that work.

Most of these deer are desensitized from all that. They spend their time around town and there are a number of people who go out of their way to feed them.
Vaccinate them. They'll be dead by morning from blood clots.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

well, if its any consolation, i have a hunting ranch and if i plant a pepper plant and leave it unattended for a night it will be eaten to the roots the next morning. I planted some fruit trees and within a few weeks they had eaten them down to a stem. i have no idea how they find fresh growth, but they can sense that shit from miles away.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:55 am

well, if its any consolation, i have a hunting ranch and if i plant a pepper plant and leave it unattended for a night it will be eaten to the roots the next morning. I planted some fruit trees and within a few weeks they had eaten them down to a stem. i have no idea how they find fresh growth, but they can sense that shit from miles away.
Here in Kerrville, homeowners almost have to hire armed sentries to protect anything they plant. Outside my patio, within 20 feet, probably 100-200 deer a day take this path from the creek below to the top of the highest hill around and back every day. We are bone dry, they are starving and will eat any new growth. Will get better when the Spring rains finally get here.the
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Animal wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:55 am

I'm thinking motion sensor paintball machine guns. :twisted:

If you’re ready for almost five minutes of Automated Sentry mayhem, then check out this video. It shows the Automated Sentry taking out pedestrians, runners, bikers, jeep drivers and even a guy bouncing between two trampolines:

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Shit, try out the motion sensor sprinkler idea. I have no experience with it, but I have heard good things. Plus you have to water anyway.

I just don't see deer hanging around in a sprinkler while it goes off even if they learn about it.

AMAZON
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Fencing is the only real solution if youre serious about not losing anything to larger critters. And even then you'll still need to worry about rabbits. The small ones will squeeze through a chain link fence and decimate all of your efforts. Unfortunately I know this from experience so I had to buttress my chain link with chicken wire at the bottom around the yard.
All of those wives tales are useless: moth balls, soap, CD's etc. You have to physically prevent access.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

I'm making gardening tools now...50 bucks US plus shipping. Completely repurposed claw hammer and oak handle made from reclaimed wood. Heat treated and oil quenched. This one sold, I have to make another if anyone is interested.

If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Blast wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:27 am I'm making gardening tools now...50 bucks US plus shipping. Completely repurposed claw hammer and oak handle made from reclaimed wood. Heat treated and oil quenched. This one sold, I have to make another if anyone is interested.

Good work.

I've decided to just use pots this year. If I go back to an actual garden I would be inerested. I'll show it to some friends who might take you up on it.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

Blast wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:27 am I'm making gardening tools now...50 bucks US plus shipping. Completely repurposed claw hammer and oak handle made from reclaimed wood. Heat treated and oil quenched. This one sold, I have to make another if anyone is interested.

You know that is just begging for a pair of arms, eyes and mouth.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Finally arrived. If this doesn't work I'll be hunting without a tag. :twisted:

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

is that a gallon?
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Animal wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:28 am is that a gallon?
Yes
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

Animal wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:28 am is that a gallon?
He's thirsty.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden