Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Yeah, when I started this thread (whenever) I mentioned the IR technology was off the charts. Not just next gen to Hubble, but next-next gen.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:07 am Yeah, when I started this thread (whenever) I mentioned the IR technology was off the charts. Not just next gen to Hubble, but next-next gen.
the one thing that I have learned, like a light bulb moment, was why infrared light was so crucial to deep space exploration. because space is expanding and because light is traveling through space, the older that light is, the farther it has traveled. and in that travel the light has actually expanded. And since light is a wave, that means the wave length has increased. if you increase that wave length enough, then you convert that visible light into infrared light.

Visible light has a wavelength that ranges from 380 nm – 750 nm on the electromagnetic spectrum while infrared light is just beyond it, ranging from 700 nm – 1 mm, the start of the non-visible portion of the spectrum. As a result, infrared cannot be seen except with special equipment like a security camera. Or a telescope like Webb.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:22 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:07 am Yeah, when I started this thread (whenever) I mentioned the IR technology was off the charts. Not just next gen to Hubble, but next-next gen.
the one thing that I have learned, like a light bulb moment, was why infrared light was so crucial to deep space exploration. because space is expanding and because light is traveling through space, the older that light is, the farther it has traveled. and in that travel the light has actually expanded. And since light is a wave, that means the wave length has increased. if you increase that wave length enough, then you convert that visible light into infrared light.

Visible light has a wavelength that ranges from 380 nm – 750 nm on the electromagnetic spectrum while infrared light is just beyond it, ranging from 700 nm – 1 mm, the start of the non-visible portion of the spectrum. As a result, infrared cannot be seen except with special equipment like a security camera. Or a telescope like Webb.
If you are interested and haven't read it, I would suggest reading Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time". Probably the greatest mind since Einstein. The book is full of explanations about topics like that and others dummied down for the casual reader. I remember being pretty blown away by a lot of it.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:13 am

If you are interested and haven't read it, I would suggest reading Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time". Probably the greatest mind since Einstein. The book is full of explanations about topics like that and others dummied down for the casual reader. I remember being pretty blown away by a lot of it.
did you see the NOVA series that Hawking did where he put people into situations that they had to figure their way out of and in the process prove these massively complicated physics concepts. He made it so simple to relate and understand.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:21 am

did you see the NOVA series that Hawking did where he put people into situations that they had to figure their way out of and in the process prove these massively complicated physics concepts. He made it so simple to relate and understand.
I did not. I think Netflix or Amazon has a huge NOVA back collection. I'll try to check it out. If you do get to read "A Brief History of Time", be sure to get the hard back copy. I remember a simplified chart/graff (don't even remember the end result of it) that involved time and the expansion of the Universe that blew me away. Those suck on a platform like Kindle.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:49 am

I did not. I think Netflix or Amazon has a huge NOVA back collection. I'll try to check it out. If you do get to read "A Brief History of Time", be sure to get the hard back copy. I remember a simplified chart/graff (don't even remember the end result of it) that involved time and the expansion of the Universe that blew me away. Those suck on a platform like Kindle.
i just looked it back up. they have the vids blocked so you can't watch on youtube. It was called "Genius" on PBS. And it was several episodes. One was called "Genius: Why are we here?"
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:52 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:49 am

i just looked it back up. they have the vids blocked so you can't watch on youtube. It was called "Genius" on PBS. And it was several episodes. One was called "Genius: Why are we here?"
Thanks. I'll try to find and watch this weekend.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

There are a bunch of inaccuracies in that.

1. The change in light due to distance alone is it gets weaker due to inverse square law.

2. The red shift in light is due to movement of the source away from where it is detected. A blue shift is due to movement of the source towards the observer.

3. That light from sources further away is red shifted further is that thos sources are moving away faster than nearer sources.

4. The reason further sources are moving away faster is due to “Dark Energy” “Dark Energy” is a theory that has given a name to this phenomenon but does not explain it.

5. Both “Dark Energy” and “Dark Matter” are names given to phenomena that scienc has no real explanation for.

6. “dark Energy” seems to be a linear function in that the more •empty” space the faster it is expanding.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Antknot wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:04 am

1. The change in light due to distance alone is it gets weaker due to inverse square law.

2. The red shift in light is due to movement of the source away from where it is detected. A blue shift is due to movement of the source towards the observer.

3. That light from sources further away is red shifted further is that thos sources are moving away faster than nearer sources.

4. The reason further sources are moving away faster is due to “Dark Energy” “Dark Energy” is a theory that has given a name to this phenomenon but does not explain it.

5. Both “Dark Energy” and “Dark Matter” are names given to phenomena that scienc has no real explanation for.

6. “dark Energy” seems to be a linear function in that the more •empty” space the faster it is expanding.
Seeing infrared light is the only way to view many cosmic objects. As the light from the universe’s most distant galaxies travels through space, it’s stretched by the expansion of space. By the time the light reaches Earth, that stretching process has transformed short wavelengths of visible and ultraviolet light into the longer wavelengths of infrared light. Only telescopes that can detect infrared light can see those faraway galaxies.

Take your argument to NASA.
https://www.nasa.gov/content/explore-light
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:51 pm

Seeing infrared light is the only way to view many cosmic objects. As the light from the universe’s most distant galaxies travels through space, it’s stretched by the expansion of space. By the time the light reaches Earth, that stretching process has transformed short wavelengths of visible and ultraviolet light into the longer wavelengths of infrared light. Only telescopes that can detect infrared light can see those faraway galaxies.

Stretched by the expansion of space is caused by what is called “Dark Energy” thus causing sources further away to be moving away faster
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Antknot wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:21 pm

Stretched by the expansion of space is caused by what is called “Dark Energy” thus causing sources further away to be moving away faster
so where is the inaccuracy in saying that the expansion of space is what turns some visible light into infrared light? i am not following the point you are trying to make.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:31 pm

so where is the inaccuracy in saying that the expansion of space is what turns some visible light into infrared light? i am not following the point you are trying to make.
Because you didn’t say that originally. You only mentioned distance. There are a few galaxies getting heater to us thus blue dhifted
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Antknot wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:18 pm
Animal wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:31 pm

Because you didn’t say that originally. You only mentioned distance. There are a few galaxies getting heater to us thus blue dhifted
....why infrared light was so crucial to deep space exploration. because space is expanding and because light is traveling through space, the older that light is, the farther it has traveled. and in that travel the light has actually expanded.....

:lol:
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

So, just the basic premise. First the confirmation decades ago that almost all the galaxies were showing a red shift in the IR meaning they were moving away from each other and the Universe was expanding. Then a few decades ago, there was the question of whether the expansion would continue forever or would the Universe experience a slowing of the expansion way in the future leading to a "Big Crunch" instead of the Big Bang that happened something like 13 billion years ago and everything would rush back to a single point. Dark Matter was the huge unknown that could possibly lead to that. Now (from what I've read) over the last 2 decades ago, astronomers have pretty much agreed that Dark Matter will never stop the expansion. It will go on forever and in about 200-300 Billion years, the last star (and the heat it produces) will die and the temperature of any place in the Universe will be Absolute Zero with not a molecule moving.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:15 am So, just the basic premise. First the confirmation decades ago that almost all the galaxies were showing a red shift in the IR meaning they were moving away from each other and the Universe was expanding. Then a few decades ago, there was the question of whether the expansion would continue forever or would the Universe experience a slowing of the expansion way in the future leading to a "Big Crunch" instead of the Big Bang that happened something like 13 billion years ago and everything would rush back to a single point. Dark Matter was the huge unknown that could possibly lead to that. Now (from what I've read) over the last 2 decades ago, astronomers have pretty much agreed that Dark Matter will never stop the expansion. It will go on forever and in about 200-300 Billion years, the last star (and the heat it produces) will die and the temperature of any place in the Universe will be Absolute Zero with not a molecule moving.
if the sum of the entropies of a system can never decrease, and the entropy of a system at absolute zero is basically zero, then what happens to the entropy in the universe?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:37 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:15 am So, just the basic premise. First the confirmation decades ago that almost all the galaxies were showing a red shift in the IR meaning they were moving away from each other and the Universe was expanding. Then a few decades ago, there was the question of whether the expansion would continue forever or would the Universe experience a slowing of the expansion way in the future leading to a "Big Crunch" instead of the Big Bang that happened something like 13 billion years ago and everything would rush back to a single point. Dark Matter was the huge unknown that could possibly lead to that. Now (from what I've read) over the last 2 decades ago, astronomers have pretty much agreed that Dark Matter will never stop the expansion. It will go on forever and in about 200-300 Billion years, the last star (and the heat it produces) will die and the temperature of any place in the Universe will be Absolute Zero with not a molecule moving.
if the sum of the entropies of a system can never decrease, and the entropy of a system at absolute zero is basically zero, then what happens to the entropy in the universe?
F if I know. I've already explained I get my Astronomy facts from a long dead Stephen Hawking's book dummied down. There, I said it.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Looks like they completed the final critical stage/ procedure today with flying colors. It was reported to be "perfect" with what they hoped for. It was using an electrically charged cyrocooler to get the instrumentation down to the final operating temperature of -447F so it can't intefere with any of the 4 IR detectors. Clock running at 60 days before it's fully operational and the first images are shown. I'm expecting to be blown away.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i heard they were supposed to post the first picture yesterday, but I never saw it. I assume that's it?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

those look more like freaking paintings than photos.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Reminds me of looking at things under a microscope.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:13 pm those look more like freaking paintings than photos.
That's because they are. Webb observes outside of the visual electromagnetic spectrum, That means the data has to be manipulated for humans to see. There are humans deciding how to manipulate the data. Sort of makes sense to make the outcome pleasing instead of having jarring color shifts.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Antknot wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:10 pm
Animal wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:13 pm those look more like freaking paintings than photos.
That's because they are. Webb observes outside of the visual electromagnetic spectrum, That means the data has to be manipulated for humans to see. There are humans deciding how to manipulate the data. Sort of makes sense to make the outcome pleasing instead of having jarring color shifts.
that's what i was thinking was happening. the images are computer generated to some degree to enhance the contrast with vivid colors?